[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How common are the following stereotypical names in their respective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 5
File: frenchman.jpg (17 KB, 283x423) Image search: [Google]
frenchman.jpg
17 KB, 283x423
How common are the following stereotypical names in their respective countries?
>Britain: Nigel, Ian
>Ireland: Patrick, Seamus, last names that start with "Mc" or "O'"
>France: Pierre, Jean, Jacques, last names that start with "de"
>Spain: Juan, Enrique, Pablo, Diego, Alejandro, Miguel
>Portugal: Alberto
>Mexico: All of Spain's + Jesus
>Germany: Hans, Helmut, Wilhelm, Friedrich, Heinrich, Hermann, Karl, last names that start with "von"
>Italy: Mario, Luigi, Antonio, Giovanni
>Sweden: Sven, Lars, last names that end with "-son"
>Russia: Ivan, Dmitri, Sergei
>>
I want to join. Traditional dutch names: Henk, Piet Jan, kees. They are pretty common but only older people almost no young people are given these names. I know you didn't ask for it and probably don't care but I have no life so fuck it.
>>
>>60998909
>Germany: Hans, Helmut, Wilhelm, Friedrich, Heinrich, Hermann, Karl, last names that start with "von"

common for old people, nonexistant for anyone under 50. "von" is a sign of nobility and therefore very rare
>>
>>60999442
The only one of those names Americans really associate with Holland is Jan, sorry. I can't possibly guess why Jan is memorable when the others aren't.
>>
Cletus
Jimbo
Jim Bob
Bud
Butch

Not common at all
>>
>>60998909
These are all old people names except for Friedrich, which is making a comeback in the mid-upper class.
"von" names are somewhat common, it doesn't mean dogshite now though. Almost everyone knows someone with such a name.
>>
>>60998909
Bump
>>
File: 1433593501547.jpg (15 KB, 201x247) Image search: [Google]
1433593501547.jpg
15 KB, 201x247
>>61000650
>>60999648
>tfw Helmut for some reason is a legal name in Portugal
>>
>>60998909
very much but you forgot Giuseppe
>>
>>61001406
Are there... illegal names in Portugal?
>>
>>60998909

>Nigel
only know one
>Ian
cant think of any off the top of my head
>>
>>60998909
> Russia: Ivan, Dmitri, Sergei
My name is Ivan, thou it is not so often given now.
Lots of Dmitri-s and Alexanders
>>
>>61001435
Everything not on this list or marked on said list as "Não": http://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_registral/registos-centrais/docs-da-nacionalidade/vocabulos-admitidos-e/downloadFile/file/Lista_de_nomes31-03-2016.pdf?nocache=1459785035.1
>>
>>61001539
What about Vladimir?
>>
>>61001588
Not much.
>>
>>61001545
>my name has Não
wtf I hate portugal now
>>
>>61001545
Why the fuck do you have illegal names?
>>
>>60998909
Stereotypical Swiss-German names, in addition to the German ones you mentioned:

>Ueli, Sepp for men. Heidi for women.

They're all common for older people, but almost unheard of for younger people.
>>
>>60998909
Ian is an incredibly common name where I'm from. I can think of 11 people I know named Ian.
"Mc" last names are pretty common.
Spanish ones are too, but I've never run into any of the ones you listed.
The only names I stereotype are the really douchey American ones like Chad or Brody or Hunter or Aiden etc.
>>
>>61001794
Because either they're foreign or the spelling isn't correct.
>>
>>61001545
Why does Portugal care so much about names that they have to make a list of permitted and non-permitted names? No wonder there are so many Portuguese with the same name. This really limits people's creativity.
>>
>>61002035
The point is to limit people's creativity so we don't have Bacterias, Wagnerzinhos and Facebooksons running around.
>>
>>60998909
>France: Pierre, Jean, Jacques
Mildly common. Only worn by non-plebs these days (and plebs are numerous), or old people.

It is very fashionable to give these simple names in the upper class or upper middle class though (while the lower middle class + low class go with dreadful "exotic" names like Timéo, Kylian, or whatever).

>last names that start with "de"
Rare. Only for aristocrats (or upper class fucks that pretend to be aristocrats), or certain non-noble guys from Northern France (but then it's written "De", and not "de").
>>
>>61002130
>mfw my name is an English name that is misspelled
Porque que eu tive que nascer no Brasil...
>>
>>61002217
Ao menos estás na Suíça, ganhaste o jogo da vida.
>>
>>61002164
>lower class and shit names
Is this a worldwide fenomenon?
>>
M3HM3T
>>
>>61002164
> low class go with dreadful "exotic" names like Timéo, Kylian, or whatever)
As in Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes?
>>
>>61002035
"Creativity" for names is horrendous and disgraceful.

It results in a whole generation of "Kévins", then "LaQueeshas", then God knows what.

Literally a sign of a dissolved society with huge class gaps.
>>
>>61002284
My parents were poor as fuck (but not favelados) and gave me a generic English name that they managed to fucking misspell! It's indeed a thing everywhere, I'm afraid. I'm Brazilian, btw.
>>
>>61002373
what name
>>
>>61002396
I have the same name as this guy here. I'm far from the only one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willian_(footballer)
>>
>tfw English name, Scottish middle name, and Danish surname
>>
>>61002465
You can "fix" that mistake though can't you?
>>
>>
>>61002465
>Willian
that's actually not nearly as bad as we can get tho
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayke
>>
>>61002164
Jean and Jacques are worn by older, 50+ people. But Pierre is still rather common among the younger generation
>>
>>61002284
Yes.

Lower middle class names are casual and exotic, they're usually chosen because they "sound good" (actually not).

The lowest class prefers the English names (Kévin, Bryan, etc.), the completely made up names (more for black people), and African / Arab names of course.

>>61002350
Don't look for a meaning, it's got a "ÉO" hiatus, so it sounds good for uneducated people. Nothing else matters.

(Actually, people with an education know that the French language doesn't like hiatuses. They must be avoided.)
>>
File: AVT_Jean-Sarkozy_1113.jpg (19 KB, 372x372) Image search: [Google]
AVT_Jean-Sarkozy_1113.jpg
19 KB, 372x372
>>61002853
Jean is still worn by young people of good social standing.

Pic related: Jean Sarkozy (son of our former president Nicolas Sarkozy).
>>
>>60998909
Ian is a Breton name.
>>
>>60998909
Father is called Nigel and I know a tonne of others, all of them over 40 years of age. I know a few Ians and had a teacher called Ian, but same in terms of age group - 40+ usually.
>>
>>60998909
If your name starts with de it means you're a noble, so no it's not common.
>>
>>61002991
>muh Breton roots
>"look guys, I'm a special snowflake with a culture that's not French at all"

Having a Breton name (instead of its common French form) is almost Arab-tier.
>>
>>61003196
I know a mechanic who has the last name DePourcq
>>
>>61003217
You are pathetic.
>>
>>61003196
>implying

You really think Dominique de Villepin, or Geneviève de Fontenay, are noble? It's a "noble-sounding" name. It's made up. Their real names are Dominique Galouzeau and Geneviève Mulmann.

Names with "de" are often fake, but still fairly rare though.
>>
>>61003395
>j'ai des origines
>>
What about Boris in Russia?
>>
>>60998909
>Dmitri, Sergei
Extremely common. Every other guy is Dmitri or Sergei (or Andrei)

>Ivan
Cannot be considered a popular name although it still appears here and there.
>>
>>61005177
Stereotypical but kinda rare. The only Boris I know was Boris Yeltsin.
>>
>>61005177
Feels like a dad's name. Have never seen a Boris except for Yeltsin.
>>
File: Борис-Моисеев.jpg (61 KB, 450x540) Image search: [Google]
Борис-Моисеев.jpg
61 KB, 450x540
>>61005366
>>61005390
Oh you, nasty.
>>
>>61005523
Fuck, that's right. Well, it makes two.
What's about Boris Godounov.
>>
>>60998909
>Ireland
>names that start with "Mc"
That's Scottish you dumb fuck
>>
>>61002164
>tfw your name is Erwan and you are a jacobin.

sad tbqh
>>
>>60998909
Sven and Lars are pretty uncommon among the youth. But a big majority of surnames end with -son.
>>
>>61002164
>Kylian

Shit, you are infected too. In Catalonia we got the same disease.
>>
>>61005785
What is kylian supposed to be

>>61005669
Scottish is Mac
>>
>>61005883
>What is kylian supposed to be

Dirt first name for plebs. Literally. But to be fair, that's only the most redneck-ish of the rednecks that dare it.
>>
>>61005883

It's a Celtic name. The spelling in English and Catalan is usually "Kilian".
It has become fairly common amongst young people. Kilians usually become normies.
>>
>>61001933
People always assume my name is Ian for some reason
Why is this
>>
most common name here seems to be Daniel, Michael and Peter
>>
>>60999762
^
>>
>>60998909
more common in Belgium(flanders) desu
>>
>>61003217
this
>>
>>61003315
Depourcq, DePourcq =/= de Pourcq

>>61003460
>You really think Dominique de Villepin, or Geneviève de Fontenay, are noble?
Was Danton a noble when he named himself d'anton ? Ofc not, but he clearly wanted his clients to believe he was !
The fakes try to make it noble, even if they aren't, that clearly means that names starting with "de" are supposed to be for nobles.
>>
>>61006961
So, de Lencastre and de Abranches (actual portuguese names) would be seen as noble names?
>>
One of the trashiest, ugliest """people""" I've ever known named her disgusting female spawn "Braylee"

What a literally vomit-inducing name, I cannot think of an uglier possible name
>>
>>61007232
I can tell you for sure they are noble names. Though they are most probably worn by soldiers of the lords of those houses (in the case of portugal)
>>
>>61008405
Sweet, time to cash in on percieved nobility status with "de Lencastre"
>>
>>60998909
>>Spain: Juan, Enrique, Pablo, Diego, Alejandro, Miguel
Pretty common.
>tfw manolo and paco are only for old people
>>
>>61008810
Sounds like really old nobility, by French standards.

Is he your ancestor or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_de_Lencastre,_Duke_of_Coimbra
>>
Mario, Luigi, Antonio, Giovanni
uncommon among -50 years old
>>
>>61003196

Bullshit
>>
>>61009218
In France, it's normally the case, with some exceptions (people faking it & certain names of Northern France).

It's different in other countries.
>>
>>61009126
I don't know exactly, but I do know I can trace it to a noble that can trace it to the original Lancaster in Portugal.

Of course literally no one takes these things seriously here though.
>>
>>61009345
Je suis français, je connais de nombreux nobles sans particules et de nombreux "roturiers" avec un nom à particule

C'est une idée reçue qui est fausse 98% des noms à particules ne sont pas signe de noblesse
>>
>>61001933
Dats my name
>>
>>61009431
>C'est une idée reçue qui est fausse 98% des noms à particules ne sont pas signe de noblesse
Shouldn't that depend on the name in question though?

We have many names with "de" but most of use can immediately tell whether it's a noble name or not.

For example 90% of people with de Lencastre or de Abranches are indeed descendants of nobility but many of the de Guimarães or de Bragança aren't.
>>
>>61009396
weren't all the french nobles passed through the guillottine?
>>
>>61009682
I don't know the exact percentage but plenty of non-noble plebs (like me) still carry the names that can be traced to the nobles.

In fact, I can trace >muh heritage thanks to de Lencastre back to Edward I of England, but I'm still a lousy pleb.
>>
All common or very common
>tfw my name is on the list
>>
>>61009778

that's cool
in Italy some noble names start with "de" as well, but most are composed of 2 or 3 names.
>>
>>61010050
Why "de" and not "di" though, isn't that weird in Italian?
>>
>>61010219
de makes more sense, it's a contraction of dei (that belong to), it's plural, while di it's singular
>>
>>61010219
well it's called partitive article and it's the proposition combined with the article de+i (of the)
>>
>>61010541
>>61010802
Got it, it's "das" in portuguese, it makes sense. It turned out pretty well that most of the Romance nobility uses "de" as an introductory article.
>>
>>60998909
Alberto is not a first name here,it's a second name.and not so popular
>>
>>60998909
>Sweden: Sven, Lars, last names that end with "-son"
Sven is not really common but the last name Svensson is. Lars is common and so i the lastname Larsson
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.