[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm learning some languages right now and I'm thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
I'm learning some languages right now and I'm thinking of picking up Danish.

Just how difficult would it be for a native english speaker to learn it?

Are there any good learning resources for english-danish?
>>
>>60987114
>Just how difficult would it be for a native english speaker to learn it?
It is, especially pronunciation. Japanese is easier than it.

>Are there any good learning resources for english-danish?
There aren't many Danish speakers. I'd recommend Japanese because it's more useful.
>>
But what about the other nordic languages besides finnish (not because it's not nordic but more because it's literally impossible to understand and learn desu) ?
>>
>>60987710
I've heard Swedish is easier to learn and understand. But I don't think Scandinavian languages are really useful.
>>
But why?
>>
>>60987114
The only difficult part about it would be learning how to pronounce properly.

That said, Germanic Nordic languages are extremely close to English in the important terms (grammar) to the point where some linguistics have suggested it to be a Scandinavian language, which, it kind of is if you look into it (specifically old English).

However, I would suggest you learn Norwegian instead, mainly due to your ability to interpret all of the Scandinavian (and to a good extent Faroese, and written Icelandic)
But keep in mind that none of the Nordic languages are useful, unless you plan to live here. You should be able to hold a proper conversation after only 6 months of studies, if you invest the time needed.
>>
>>60987809
Danish pronunciation is appalling and Swedish is a half step up from that hell. Swedes have a hundred ways of pronouncing simple vowels and have absurd formulas on pronunciation behind, in front of, between consonants.

Norwegian is a good place to start. Compact grammar, greater intelligibility with the two mentioned before, clearer and more precise pronunciation

Swedish is also interesting, they have cases, unlike Norwegian, for example, and their grammar is also not difficult and is fairly straightforward. It's just those pronunciation rules and two/three/four different ways to read fucking vowels. It's like calculus for someone like me, whose native language is more phonetic, letter for letter, than the word "phonetic itself. If you write "jafdlaifkehdj", you read it exactly like that here, letter for letter. Yet our grammar is monstrous compared to that of Scandinavian languages
>>
>>60987114
If you can say this you're fluent in Danish:

Dode rode rodojede rådne rogede orrender med flode.
>>
>>60988033
For Norwegian it's more complicated than that.
Some dialects are closer to Icelandic than they are Eastern dialects, it's a really weird/undefined language.

I'd also like to add in that the fennoswedish dialect might even be closer to some Norwegian dialects than they are Swedish.
>>
>>60988173
When I say "Norwegian", I mean Bokmal, the state dialect
>>
>>60987814
I dunno, denmark seems like a pretty nice place to visit. I'd like to vacation there someday but I want to have a decent grasp of the language. I know english is spoken there but I feel it'd be rude to visit the country without learning a bit of its native tongue.
>>
>>60988162
I learned Danish at age 6 and I can't even say it correctly
>>
>>60988228
Bokmål is a written language, and both Nynorsk and Bokmål are official state languages/"dialects".

Essentially the language is undefinable until you mention a specific dialect, but of course I understand that you mean the Eastern/Oslo region dialect, which is a very simplistic one for new learners.
Just trying to add in if anyone happened to be curious about the state of the language is all.
>>
>>60988250
EXACTLY , somebody gets it , i mean , at least study some sentences , some words before u go and visit it , it means u have interested in the language and the country itself which , in my opinion is super nice and cute
>>
>>60987114
>wanting to learn poor man's Swedish

For what purpose?

If you really want to learn a meme language that sounds like you have throat cancer go for Dutch. It's extremely easy for native anglo speakers since it's your language's closest living relative or something.
>>
>>60988291
How does yours sound? Faroese, I mean? Is it a "halfway" between Icelandic and Norwegian?
>>
>>60988448
I would describe it as a softer version of Icelandic with distant sounds and lisping
>>
>>60988588
distinct*
>>
>Americans learning languages

so you learn how to say good morning and almost not butcher placenames?
>>
>>60988588
That's like the difference between Serbo-Croatian and Russian
Good to know

Is your gar any different, influenced by continentals?
>>
>>60988683
Serbo-Croatian and Russian aren't even in the same sub-family
>>
>>60988683
grammar*
>>
>>60988731
Slavic languages are a subfamily themselves, don't know why you'd further separate us. We can't compare it to Bulgarian, because it misses key great, Russian grammar is closer. We can understand Russians more than Czechs or Poles
>>
File: Golden Sad.jpg (106 KB, 593x578) Image search: [Google]
Golden Sad.jpg
106 KB, 593x578
You all fuckin gay just fuck my butt faggots
>>
I've been looking around and I can't find anything good online.
I don't mind purchasing a book to learn it if there aren't any decent online sites.
Any americunts got any recommendations for danish-english language books?
>>
>>60988683
Modern punctuation in Faroese is copied directly from Danish, but the grammar is completely different.
>>
>>60988997
Duolingo has Danish, it might be worth a try.
>>
>>60989063
Did I give you permission to post?
>>
>>60989112
Yes.
>>
>>60988997
Try "Hinga Dinga Durgen" by Torvald Bjornsson
>>
>>60988939
slavic is a family
>>
>>60988250
I see. Then I guess a regular phrase book would be most useful and videos on pronunciation and such because written Danish and spoken Danish isn't the same. It's nothing like character based languages but it can still be tricky. I believe a big vocabulary is more useful than grammar when learning a language and most people will get what you are saying if you know the words.
As for learning it, you would need real world practice because it takes some time to learn it, again because there is a gap between what is said and what is written. Though I would never recommend using Duolingo exclusively when learning a language it might be of help to you.
Also, even though we sound like robots when speaking, we like to speak English and sadly won't let the opportunity pass so it could be hard to practice and I think most people would feel like dicks for correcting a tourists language abilities. And it's not like you have to know the language to get by, so that necessity factor isn't there and that one plays a big role in learning a language. But people will 100% appreciate you speaking Danish, have no doubt. I have yet to meet a native english speaker who didn't get the language, it just takes effort, but I'm sure you will be able to do it even if it seems hard at first.
Now, if you plan on getting shit faced, which you should in order to get the full Danish experience, then learn this: "Rodgrod med flode". You will be asked to say it on several occasions. There is no way around it. Learn it and you're golden.
>>
>>60989119
Oh that's right I'm sorry.
>>
Are you stupid or something? Danish is a dead language. Learn russian, arabic or mandarin if you want something useful.
>>
File: 1465488456723.png (175 KB, 597x598) Image search: [Google]
1465488456723.png
175 KB, 597x598
>>60989220
That's okay, have a complimentary maymay image.
>>
>>60987114
It shouldn't be too hard. Just be prepared to learn a language that is as inconsistent as English, especially in pronunciation.
>>
>>60988173
>Some dialects are closer to Icelandic than they are Eastern dialects
That is the dumbest shit I have ever heard.
>>
File: Sogn_og_Fjordane.png (125 KB, 400x374) Image search: [Google]
Sogn_og_Fjordane.png
125 KB, 400x374
>>60989649
>>
File: Pohjoispohjanmaa.png (118 KB, 500x542) Image search: [Google]
Pohjoispohjanmaa.png
118 KB, 500x542
>>60989677
Are we posting regional divisions of each other's countries?
>>
>>60989241
Yes. Lets just commit cultural suicide.
Don't forget to vote Å next time.
>>
>>60989494
>tfw I can't pronounce my gfs name correctly so I call her by a nickname
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.