[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /int/ study at university? I'm thinking about International
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: flags-waving-in-the-wind.jpg (119 KB, 626x228) Image search: [Google]
flags-waving-in-the-wind.jpg
119 KB, 626x228
What did /int/ study at university?
I'm thinking about International Relations and ANU here but I've been told the job market in IR is pretty small and it could turn out to be useless.
If you guys could go back, would you pick a different area of study?
>>
>>60983773
>I'm thinking about International Relations

I'll take a large menu with fries please
>>
File: images.png (9 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
images.png
9 KB, 205x246
>>60983831
j-jokes on you, entry level positions where I live only go to females
>>
come on lads, this is important
>>
>>60983773
A burger and 2 fries plz
>>
Commerce (I studied in Australia)

Good choice, no regrets
>>
>>60983773

B.S. in Architectural Studies. Have had trouble finding good work in design/build because all they really want where I live are temp CAD monkeys or interns they can pay peanuts or nothing at all. Trying to branch out by looking for work in the real estate world because college educated people are generally more desirable but I'm also putting resumes out further and further from my city because I'm honestly okay with moving at this point.
>>
Yeh do not do IR, its barely a real discipline. Do a double degree of like commerce/science or commerce/arts. idk show you have employable skills like a commerce/IT/engineering/law graduate but then also do something possibly more academic/less employability focused as your double. ANU is very flexible for double degrees, i'm in my second year there.
>>
>>60983773
Don't do international relations. All of my ANU friends who did that degree don't use it for their work. Do stats or economics if you want a public service job.
>>
File: 125067894367.jpg (49 KB, 476x592) Image search: [Google]
125067894367.jpg
49 KB, 476x592
Law.
>>
>>60986420
What do you think of commerce/IR as a flexible double degree? I understand that alone the employment prospects of an IR graduate aren't great but would it be worth anything if I took it with commerce?
>>
Computer science, making six figure out of school and it's interesting too.
>>
>>60989914
D-did they end up anywhere at least remotely relevant? I've heard something like 1 in 5 get to work in places like DFAT or something while the rest are just sitting on a useless degree
>>
f-final bump..
>>
Comp Sci

I hate it and I'm shit at it
>>
Electrical engineering.
>>
>>60983773
I did an undergrad in Economics and master in Corporate Finance.

Economics is very interesting but the job prospects aren't on par with say Finance or Engineering so it's better to switch later on.

I will work next september for a inestment bank and for close to 6 figures in USD. The downsides are the hours are pretty long and the field is highly competitive (if you don't into a top tier uni there's no opportunity) but it's pretty cool to work on highly strategic deal.
>>
>>60994107
have you thought about transfering to another course? I had the same feelings when i took software design for HSC, completely changed my career heading

>>60994137
Do you enjoy the actual work? Or do you just see it as more of a means to an end? Getting to work on strategic/important deals sounds pretty enticing but i can see a lot of the work just being menial/tedious
>>
>>60994441
Work is tedial (but don't delude yourself work is rarely always superfun in any field) but still stimulating.
Expect to work 80h a week on average but if you stick 4-5 years making 300K + is nothing special.

Personnally, I just plan to do that for a couple of years than get something more boring or going full entrepreneurship. I just don't want to be poor all my life.
>>
>>60983773
IR is probably the most University-dependent degree I can think of here in the states. If you go to a good school and meet the right people, and do well in the classes, you end up where you want to end up. Otherwise, it becomes a lot harder.

If any Americans are reading this and wondering if you should do an IR major, the answer is pretty much no unless you go to a top 20 University that doesn't have the word "Technology" in its name. My advice is to major in a language instead. Something like 63% of the USFS is monolingual, so any other language will help there but if you want to work in defense or intelligence, be strategic about which language you pick (i.e. not Italian.)
>>
>>60994871
>tedial
tedious fucked up
>>
>>60994986
wish i was an american desu
defence intel/counter terrorism is tiny here
>>
Am studying Paleonthology, moved countries to study.
There aren't a lot of jobs, bu there also aren't a lot of us, and it is much easier than I thought to get one.
>>
Literature/International Relations.
>>
finance, did not want to do this >>60994871
>>60994137 with my life so i took a job in accounting. less money but less time at work too.
>>
>>60983773
IR really depends on where you are/who you are. Being in a good IR school gets you the good and rare places related to the degree.
Being in a bad IR school means wasting your time, effort, money ect...
>>
Computer Science.

Meme degree.
>>
>>60983773
I was have studying english speak and literature
>>
>>61002214
>studying english speak
not studying hard enough tbqhwy
>>
>>61002280
He probably read 1984 one too many times
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.