[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yes, yes. Well done USA Well done USA HOWEVER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14
File: vn.png (24 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
vn.png
24 KB, 1600x1067
Yes, yes. Well done USA Well done USA

HOWEVER
>>
They won the war

Then they got out because they didn't give a fuck for once
>>
Is that from Steven Universe?
>>
>>60976766
we 100% lost
>>
>>60977364
t. vietcong refugee
>>
>>60976750
Vietnam was a conflict. It doesn't count.
>>
>wage war on an irrelevant ""country"" that were probably more capitalist than theirs

can't make this shit up
>>
>>60976766
>won the war
>fought impoverished and malnourished rice farmers armed with sticks and rocks for 20 years
>failed every goal of the war

interesting definition of "won" you have there my friend :^)

nice dubs tho
>>
>>60977472
There is a McDonalds in Hanoi today so we won in the long run
>>
Hey, at least we won the cultural war.
>>
>>60977568
>>60977570
>McHivemind
>>
File: 1466192260591.png (426 KB, 623x429) Image search: [Google]
1466192260591.png
426 KB, 623x429
>>60977570
that's probably the only war you can win

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2389/us-marines-brutally-ambushed-and-defeated-by-norwegian-kids.html
>>
>>60977568
>>60977570
>>60977595
Are burgers the only thing you guys can think about?
That's assuming you actually think at all, though.
>>
>>60977636
I also think about Freedom Fries™
>>
We have battled with China for 2 thousands year, and BTFO France.

People seriously think this is the biggest war in Dzietnoam?
>>
File: latest.png (89 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
89 KB, 283x244
Vietnam is like the Doomguy of countries. It doesn't count.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 282x175) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 282x175
to be fair, no european country would win either. france lost 2/3rds of its european troops.

out of 240k frenchmen there, 75k died, 65k wounded, 40k captured.
>>
File: pipe.jpg (75 KB, 700x431) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
75 KB, 700x431
>>60976750

>50/1 KD
>>
>>60977717
>>60977739
yeah vietnam is similar to afghanistan in that it is a fucking shithole to invade
and yet countries still try to invade them despite all the previous evidence that everything goes to shit once you are in there.
>>
>>60977792
yes, americans went there solely to kill people

fucking idiot
>>
>>60977792
>completely ignores casualties of everyone else but the US

its more 1-1 though counting wounded as well.
>>
>>60977804
yeah but europeans got btfo'd in regular battle, not just guerrila warfare. dien bien phu is pretty highly regarded as the first time a colonial army defeated a colonizer in conventional warfare.

there were no actual conventional battles in afghanistan, but there were a handful in vietnam
>>
File: 20462783003_1772a27278_h.jpg (488 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
20462783003_1772a27278_h.jpg
488 KB, 1600x1065
vietnam is fucking based and they werent having any of our shit.
>>
>>60977822
>its more 1-1 though counting wounded as well.

You're that faggot that got rekt in Halo but felt good because you knocked the other guys shields down.
>>
>>60976750

> be american
> lose

lol
>>
>>60977472
That's why North Vietnam agreed to the Paris Peace Accords, right?
>>
>be Vietnam
>lost more soldiers
>still won
>>
File: f43g5hh54eh54.png (37 KB, 314x716) Image search: [Google]
f43g5hh54eh54.png
37 KB, 314x716
>>60977872
Ethiopia btfo Italy 60 years earlier
but italy doesnt really count for anything in warfare i guess ;^)
>>
>>60977931
>be America
>promise South Vietnam you'll keep them supplied
>don't
>Saigon falls

it was just a prank
>>
>>60977889
wut are you even talking about, there were casualties among arvn, korean and australian forces. not even mentioning a fuckton among the indigenous guerillas in the highlands.

>>60977894
paris peace accords was mostly due to the easter offensive though. it was the first actual NVA invasion since the previous battles were small-arms, and the first time APCs and tanks were deployed by the commies.

the US were already out and just provided air support, most of the actual fighting was by ARVN troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Offensive
>>
>>60976766
Stalemate that we didn't have the willpower to force
>>60976750
HOWEVER they're our new greatest allies when the chonks come a sailin.
>>
>>60977961

>implying it would have mattered

They abandoned their posts as soon as our helicopters were over the horizon.
>>
>>60977570
How this War on Obesity thingy going?
>>
>>60977935
yeah they weren't colonized though, ethiopians were an independent kingdom.

there's plenty more earlier cases of independent countries fighting off colonizers, but a colonist defeating a colonizer had bigger impact since it directly lead to de-colonization in the 1960s.

algerian war would have never happened if france didn't lose for example.
>>
>>60977935
I wonder why Italy so horrible at war, but always win in the end.
>>
File: 1447489539772.jpg (10 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1447489539772.jpg
10 KB, 250x187
>>60977961
>be my father
>be born in a convoy fleeing Ban Me Thuot
>get picked up by SV naval forces fleeing Da Nang, alone
>make it stateside without any relatives
>get raised by American family
d-delet
>>
>>60978046
ethiopia literally fought with spears because they didn't have french and russian guns supplied to them.
>>
File: cambrai.png (36 KB, 313x594) Image search: [Google]
cambrai.png
36 KB, 313x594
>>60978046
They got that venetian diplomacy still going strong.
>>
>>60977364
>>60977472
>>60977879
>>60977891

>He uses US media as a source of news/knowledge.

They profited a great deal from stirring up a controversy and making the US public think we were losing. If we hadn't been pulled out we would have won in less than a year.
>>
>>60978071
>German trust this.
>>
>>60978112
>If we hadn't been pulled out we would have won in less than a year.
>homebychristmas.png
It was a stalemate and we sure as hell couldn't have won without invading NV
>>
>>60976750
>Amerilose
>>
>>60977872
This. The Viet Cong airforce was also criminally underrated
>>
>>60978112
one of the tactics was to use punji sticks and so-on to immobilize/wound the enemy rather than outright kill them with explosives. it had way way bigger impacts than anything else really.

its not really losing, its more convincing them that the war was pointless. alot of military reports said morale was low US soldiers were close to mutinying and there was a ton of officer-killing and drug use.

its a different case in afghanistan or in islamic countries though, at least we understand that islam is also on the offensive and actually threatening the US.
>>
>>60978046
I know Italy was terrible in WW2 for example because the bulk of the army were poor southerners that had no experience driving (which is useful when attacking with tanks) and didn't care for fascism, but can anyone tell me why they couldn't win in 1896?
>>
>be vietnam
>go to war with america
>america never forsakes their principles of freedom of speech, openness, and liberty
>this causes many people within america to oppose the war, and america listens to their citizens
>meanwhile, you use fear, oppression, and violence to control your own population.
>nobody can speak out and oppose the war
>america uses careful tactics to capture and hold key points
>you use human wave tactics and get many of your own people killed
>eventually, america, out of concern for the extreme loss of civilian life as well as fanatic loss of life on the other side, withdraw
>"VIETNAM STRONGK PIG AMERICAN BTFO BY SUPERIOR ART OF WAR COMMUNISM RAINS SUPREME"
>eventually open you markets anyway

Vietnam "winning" is just a meme.

I'm going to report any idiot slope that tries to argue with me to their shitty oppressive government and prove my point
>>
File: 523vietnam.png (555 KB, 2754x1397) Image search: [Google]
523vietnam.png
555 KB, 2754x1397
>>60976750
USA all the way!
>>
>>60978254
>human wave tactics

lol, they inflicted almost much casualties on the allied forces even with lack of airpower or artillery, you forget that the south vietnamese had more troops than the US and every other country combined.
>>
File: sasr.jpg (67 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
sasr.jpg
67 KB, 650x366
>>60978254
Greatest ally. Even when the Bongs wouldn't go in, you didn't dog your mates.
>>
>>60977364
Technically we wom although in reality we lost politically because we didn't go back in once the NVA broke the truce illegally. When we left Vietnam there was a truce and a technical peace, but the NVA attacked again and the president was being a smart man and didn't go back in to that waste of time
>>
>>60978326
australia involves itself with asia pacific much more though, britain doesn't really have any capacity in the region.

eg. they are responding to south china sea with a military buildup and calling out china even though their economy is very dependent on them.
>>
obsessed
>>
>>60978313
Christ you arent wrong. How the hell could arvn loose if their forces were so much larger? Are we not counting nlf?
>>
>>60978313
>even with lack of airpower or artillery
>t. retard
>>
>>60978381
arvn troop mostly from city folk which have low morale and weaker than other troop which mostly from farmer and tribe.
>>
>>60978482
NVA was also mass conscripting peasant levies after the Easter Offensive.
>>
>>60978381
yeah didn't mean to say they inflicted more, but it was much closer, like 1:1.5 casualties.

they were well coordinated and well organized, much better organized than guerillas in iraq for example. ie everything was coordinated by a central command by higher ranking officers.

it almost resembles an actual army t b h, nothing like what you see in african or arab wars where there are just dozens of random groups doing random shit.
>>
>>60978191
You are retarded my friend
>>
>captainsir the enemy is hiding in the jungle
>bomb the jungle
>captainsir we can't see shit because of the jungle wat do :DD
>kill the jungle then :DD
>captainsir they hide in the ground and now I have ass cancer wat do :DD
>fugg :DDD
>>
ppl in the us don't realise that the anti vietnam war movement was soviet suversion
>>
>>60978821
Dude, I know that. The antiwar and militant movements in the 60s like the Black Panthers and Weather Underground were all being funded by the KGB.

Well guess what? We funded the Mujahadeen to get back at Moscow for that.
>>
>>60978891
>Soviets get us to pull out of Nam
>we break their backs in A-stan in return
>they collapse
Based USA
>>
>>60978583
differences in doctrines and society, they cant really be compared as equal.
Still they both used terror tactics on their own to show that the opposing governments in power can't protect them.
This leads to unrest and people joining up with the insurgents so they dont have to suffer from terror attacks.

I would like to add that the geopolitics where very different both in Iraq and Afghanistan compared to Vietnam.
During the vietnam war the US forces always had the fear of a repeat of the korean war so they didint want to encroach on Chinese territory, meanwhile in the Middle east they had no such fears and did swift invasions to remove the governments in power.
If there was no such threat following an invasion of the north perhaps it could have lead to a south vietnamese victory.

>>60978891
and thanks to both world powers funding extremist groups all over the place the world is now shit.
It was shit before as well though, so no hard feelings
>>
>>60978891
The leftist groups in Europe back then like the IRA, Red Brigades, and Baader-Meinhof Gang? Also Soviet funded.
>>
>>60978671
I think he meant NVA airforce. they were pretty effective, older model Migs were able to gundown ARVN/US planes.

They usually killed ARVN pilots but held the US ones as POWs (IE John McCain)

>>60978919
>terror against your own people

you forget that most vietnamese were secular/buddhists/christians, so violence as a tactic doesn't work well as it does in the muslim countries.

btw the swedes were openly supplying the vietcong lmfao despite them being guerillas. its like if you decided to fund the IRA in north ireland, never understood how your leaders could be this retarded.
>>
>>60978906
We lost 50k troops and they lost like 2k. There's no way to spin it. We got our shit kicked in.
>>
>>60979081
Their economy got fucked so hard that they disintegrated. Would you rather lose 50k troops or have the US fracture?
>>
>>60979063
we were pretty anti american and supported northvietnamese independence yes.
We where not really pro soviet either though, even though we have some communist music about the vietnam war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHq2r6BQA0
>>
>>60979120
yeah anti-war is different but a few swedish commies supported pol pot.

literal definition of retarded, but at least the chinese and the US also supported him so not too guilty.
>>
>>60978906
>long, protracted almost guerilla war wherein nobody knew who was winning, nobody knew wtf was going on, was it going to turn to civil war? were they actually going to fund real conflicts or butt out of it? who was involved, at whose expense, and for what reason? political reasons? economical reasons? for personal gain? for moral reasons (lol)? nobody knew anything and it was a clusterfuck of lucky dice combined with the usa owning everything at turn one
>"We wun da war it was a carefully plotted plan from the very beginning based unitas stations of ameriguay liek if u crie evry tim"
I don't know whether to laugh or to throw up.
>>
>>60979120
why ;_;
>>
>>60979321
We really just let the perfidious Pakis have free reign. Kinda bit us in the ass with al-Qaeda, but they're preferable to an enemy superpower.
>>
>>60979321

what did i read even

>>60979345
the CIA gave a billion dollars to guys who later attacked the US.

It was fucking retarded. the people they supported were way worse than anyone including the commies.

ronald reagan was a shitty president imo, iunno why he gets jerked off so often but his policies were probably the shittiest next to the bush-era in terms of foreign diplomacy.
>>
>>60979326
this guy had to do with it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olof_Palme
he is still remembered either with mild hate or as a great man.
>>
>>60979326
Sweden had this weird nationalistic dick-drooling thing going on back then similar to De Gaulle's France. "Neither East nor West."
>>
File: apocalypsenow.jpg (968 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
apocalypsenow.jpg
968 KB, 1920x1080
>lose war
>make great films about it

way to make lemonade out of lemons america
>>
>>60979437
Why would anyone not want to be part of the west?
>>
>>60979412
>>60979321
>>60979168
Oh please, not this chink diaspora armchair historian again.

Don't you ever get tired of your weak attempts at trolling?
>>
>>60979442
>McDonalds in Red Square
>making bank off of Nam
Dog bless capitalism
>>60979412
The ends justify the means.

Threat level:
al-Qaeda<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<USSR
>>
>>60979454
there's a handful of canadians here but i'm not chinese.

if you are the same guy that debated the south china sea with me, please shut the fuck up don't see any point in you patrolling this board looking for people to bitch at.
>>
>>60979437
>>60979120
Actually Sweden was just butthurt because Eisenhower criticized the Nordic welfare state model in a speech once.
>>
>>60979548
Wang please, you show up in every Vietnam thread and claim to be a history teacher when you're just some unemployed idiot who gets all his history knowledge from Krautchan comics.
>>
>>60979548
>debated the south china sea
Please don't tell me you think it's rightful Chinese clay. No non-Chinese people think that.
>>
>>60979601

i don't.

>>60979571

that's actually a different guy, i never really debated the vietnam war before on here.

>>60979508
the USSR was going detente though, they didn't really have an active foreign policy in "undermining" the west.

east-west germany and central europe were upgrading their relationships until reagan though its a good idea to put nukes and military exercises that simulated
invading. it almost triggered a nuclear war.

al-qaeda and islamic fundamentalism is much more on the offensive than the USSR ever was, I mean the russians never launched attacks on american soil but al-qaeda did twice in 1993 and 2001.
>>
>>60979664
>the USSR was going detente though, they didn't really have an active foreign policy in "undermining" the west.
>east-west germany and central europe were upgrading their relationships until reagan though its a good idea to put nukes and military exercises that simulated
>invading. it almost triggered a nuclear war.
Yep, this is the chink fake historian alright.

>they didn't really have an active foreign policy in "undermining" the west

Also this has gotta be an intentional troll. Nobody could possibly be _this_ dumb.
>>
>>60979664
>the USSR was going detente though, they didn't really have an active foreign policy in "undermining" the west.
The USSR CHOSE to invade Afghanistan. The United States anticipated that they would invade to promote communism, and prepared accordingly. But the Soviets chose to go in, and that is what killed detente.
>I mean the russians never launched attacks on american soil but al-qaeda did twice in 1993 and 2001.
That may be so, but al-Qaeda or ISIS do not possess the capability to annihilate the Western world in WW3.
>>
>>60979730
Either he's a troll or he actually doesn't know >>60979008 and >>60978891. Moscow were a superpower with their tentacles sprawled all over the globe in 1965-85.
>>
>>60979730
honestly just read about Able Archer though, i'm not pro-USSR but I'm watching a good german tv show about it.

>>60979737
fine, i wasn't alive then so i'm not going to debate it. the USSR aren't as actively hostile though, they wanted peace and to live as much as you and me.

muslim terrorists are different, its much different to kill and die and believe you will be rewarded than to kill to defend yourself.
>>
>>60979816
>fine, i wasn't alive then so i'm not going to debate it
fair enough.
>the USSR aren't as actively hostile though, they wanted peace and to live as much as you and me.
They were certainly rational, and capable of reasoning and human emotion in ways that a jihadist group isn't. But don't fool yourself for a moment that the ultimate goal of the USSR and its satellites wasn't to foster world communism.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.