[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any UK expats that have lived or know of anyone who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: usa-flag.jpg (100 KB, 1600x1309) Image search: [Google]
usa-flag.jpg
100 KB, 1600x1309
Are there any UK expats that have lived or know of anyone who lived in the USA? I've been on holiday to the States a few times and loved it every time. I like the idea of living there at some point in my life. I feel like I am wasting my youth in this country (Northern Ireland) on shitty jobs and have only a high school (GCSE) education and then I left to work in my fathers business (making and installing blinds) and eventually took it over.

Is it really that difficult to get a visa? What kind of jobs would get me there? Would I be generally welcomed as an Irish man? I am considering going back to school in September regardless. Just an idea that I wanted to talk about
>>
It will probably be hard for you to get here after Trump wins, Muhammad.
>>
>>60936981
I hope you realize there is no magic fix to being an unqualified autist.

Go out and get a fuckin' education, mate
>>
>>60936981
Move to Boston and as an honest to christ Mick youd be worshipped as a GOD by all the plastic paddys
>>
>>60936981
this >>60937146
You would probably like Massachusetts as long as you don't mind muh heritage people
>>
>>60937108
True, if we get through with the Brexit it might be worth staying here. Fuck knows, our Republican Party Sinn Fein is calling for a referendum for a United Ireland (again), which if it somehow got through we'd be back in the EU again anyway. They're probably just talking shite as usual.

>>60937138
I know that, but my father was moving on to something else so I've just taken this over. It's not that bad, but I do want more money and more qualifications.

>>60937146
>>60937184
I reckon Americans will find it pretty funny because I'm also a manlet (like 5'5-5'6), could I become the Leprechaun King of the USA?
>>
>>60936981
I go to college in us
I stopped doing A level due to some shit happened and had to move to america into my brother's place

so I had only GCSE. Some state university accepted me only with that(gcse isn't even equivalent to us high school!) And I was admitted. Had to sit sats anyway to skip placement tests

Probably too late now for september. Go for spring but regardless no scholarships for you so community college can be a option as well

Go to where cost of living is cheap. Tuition fees for out state is just overwhelming
>>
>>60936981
>I've been on holiday to the States a few times and loved it every time.
I feel like this is a trick.
>>
>>60937271
>I go to college in us
Why would you do this
>>
>>60937333
I've met plenty of brits who like it here. An exchange student from one of my classes actually decided to forgo going home for the summer and is working here instead.
>>
>>60937423
I can't help but feel like when Euros here compliment us they're just mocking us
>>
>>60937241
>I'm also a manlet (like 5'5-5'6), could I become the Leprechaun King of the USA

Bro, its america. You can do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>60937456
I like to think they're being genuine unless it's clear that they aren't.
>>
>>60936981
There's at least one guy who pretends to be a british expat here, but isn't. As far as I know we don't have any actual brits.
>>
>>60936981
Get skills where you are in NI first of all.

companies are less willing to train people so your quality of life won't just magically be solved if the only thing you do here is install blinds.
>>
>>60936981
Looking at a specific region?
My consensus on regions:
>New England
Most "European" as an American place can get. Has some of the most expensive living in the US (depending on where you go). Job market can be hard to penetrate. Best shot is to stick around Boston to set up shop their.
>Mid atlantic (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD)
Cheaper than New England. Lots of great places to live. I personally find it boring here and want to move west, but I've been spoiled by a US upbringing. It's a great place. People on the east coast can be aggressive though. Be ready to infrequently encounter Type A personalities.
>Great lakes
Similar to mid-atlantic in cost, maybe a bit cheaper. Not much else to say. There's some cultural differences vs. the Mid Atlantic, especially the more midwestern attitude, but besides that they're similar.
>Midwest
Lowest cost of living in US. Demographics skew towards older age range. Lots of states their are looking for people to work/run businesses, like Iowa. Generally regarded as the most boring states.
>Southeast/Dixie/The South
Probably the most culturally distinct part of America. Very diverse demographics and lots of cheap places to live in. Higher crime, humid hot weather, storm systems, troublesome locals (fire ants, wild hogs, alligators), but an awesome experience. Friendly people, but I've heard they talk about you behind your back, so it's that kind of friendly.
>Southwest
Le epic desert maymay. Lots of hispanics. LOTS. Don't know much else.
>Northwest
Popular place right now, meaning the job market is saturated. More opportunities in rural areas.

>>60937271
I hoped you can speak english well. I am a TA and had to fail a few Korean students in a lab because they couldn't write/read English if their lives depended on it. Seriously, if some of you don't know English, why receive a subpar education in the states because you cannot understand it, as opposed to a respected Korean university where you understand what's being taught to you?
>>
It doesn't matter where you go, anything would be a step up from NI I would imagine.

Horrible weather, probably nothing to do, awful history. etc.
>>
>>60937658
No, northwest is as euro as you can get
>>
>>60937721
Mmm, I respectfully disagree. Here's my reasoning:
>City planning
New England's urban metro is of course Boston. Unlike nearly every other major US city, Boston is not structures in a grid pattern. It is built like a European city-- as a circle that "emanates" outward, with many randomly winding roads that sometimes seem like it has no order.
>Culture
The NW is, in my opinion, home to very American politics. The metros are hotbeds for US counterculture that spread up from Californian cities, and they are leftists fighting for very American issues. The rural areas can be extremely conservative in an American sense. We all saw the strength those Oregonian militias had a few months back in their standoff with the FBI.
>Weather
The rainy coastal areas ARE like Europe, I'll give you that. However, Europe doesn't have massive sprawling deserts just beyond those rainy regions. The NW is more diverse climate-wise than Europe in that sense.

New England on the other hand:
>Mass
Operates a lot like a Euro state with massive government oversight, strong taxes, strict gun control, etc. Much stronger government control on the people than the NW.
>Architecture
This is where New England takes the "Euro" feel over any other US region. Most buildings are designed with colonial blueprints. Houses look like they did hundreds of years ago. The NW has a lot more newer housing.
>History
Obvious one here. Boston is the mecca for colonial era history
>>
>>60937241

see >>60937473

your accent alone is enough to get you laid.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.