[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was told my whole life that my family is from Sicily and that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Sicily_map.svg.png (597 KB, 2000x1238) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Sicily_map.svg.png
597 KB, 2000x1238
I was told my whole life that my family is from Sicily and that they came over in the 1920's and shit. This Italian guy at work today said my surname isn't Sicilian at all. My last name is Ortolano. Can any Italianbros tell me about my surname?
I'm not being all "muh heritage" I'm just genuinely curious about my family history and my family is very unhelpful.
>>
File: Capture.png (367 KB, 642x728) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
367 KB, 642x728
>>60927911
>This Italian guy at work today said my surname isn't Sicilian at all. My last name is Ortolano.
That guy is a moron.
The frequency map says the regions with the most Ortolanos are Sicily and Abruzzo
>>
>>60928037
reeeee shitcilians get out of piemonte
>>
>>60928106
Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians so much?
>>
It's moorish. Tunisian to be specific.
>>
>>60928225
REEEEE
Fuck off
>>
>>60928152
Why not.
I can barely stand people from the region over (actually I don't quite like some parts of my region either), nevermind people from the other side of the country. It's very grating to hear their silly accent and obnoxious dialect.
I just don't like foreigners. Not that I like locals that much either, but at least I know them well and they act the same as me.
>>
Dude its just a guy from work. He cant know all sicilian surnames.
>>
>>60928479
No but you would think there's identifying characteristics, right? Like, something about sicilian names that stands out?
>>
He's a fag and you have sicilian heritage
>>
>>60928479
Eh you can pretty much narrow down most surnames to certain areas, because they reflect the characteristics of the local language.
A good deal were italianized around fascism time tho, which makes them hard to pin down. This is one of those I believe.
>>
>>60928532
Tbh i know nothing about italian surnames, but im sure your family didnt lie to you about sicilia. Maybe it was just a small family, who knows
>>
>>60928611
"Ortolano" comes from "Ortona" which is a city in Abruzzo. I dunno why it's common for Scilians as well though.
>>
>>60928723
Probably because ortolano is also an actual word, not to mention a type of bird.
>ortolano: s. m. e agg. [dal lat. tardo hortulanus, agg. (nel sign. 2) e s. m. (nel sign. 1)]. – 1. s. m. (f. -a) Chi coltiva un orto; chi vende ortaggi: fare l’o.; la bottega dell’ortolano. Per un uso fig. dantesco della parola, v. in fondo alla voce orto1.
>>
>>60928037

>being autistic
>>
>>60927911
There are some differences between the various parts of the islands (East vs West in particular), probably it wasn't common in the area he came from
>>
>>60928780
I read online it comes from "seller of vegetables" or something. Could be wrong tho
>>
>>60927911
sicily is one of the few south region of italy with a viking heritage
>>
>>60930802
That'd be Sardinia
>>
>>60930802
t. Northerner pretending to be a Southerner
>>
>>60930802
source
>>
>>60930802
What does this have to do with my original post?
>>
>>60931401
The Normans ruled over Sicily for about 150 years, but it's obvious that they didn't contribute much to the genetics of the population. The (few) people with blonde hair probably got them from the natives who were Italic people and were then replaced by the Greeks
>>
>>60931589
Blonde hair exist in native Northen Africans too, i doesn't have to do with Nordic or Italic admixture,
>>
>>60931677
North Africans mixed with people from the rest of the Roman Empire, and also they were invaded by the Vandals.
>>
>>60931589
I have dark brown (almost black) hair but I have blue eyes. I'm pale during the winter but tan during the summer. I don't know how common blue eyes are in southern Italy but Frank Sinatra had them and his family was Sicilian too. the rest of my family looks more "typical", I think
>>
>>60931738
Algerians didn't and Vandals were genocided by the Byzantines before they could even mix with the local populations, and I'm talking about genetically isolated Berber tribes too.
>>
>>60931840
>Algerians didn't
Why not?

>before they could even mix with the local populations
Maybe, but Romans mixed with the locals for sure

>I'm talking about genetically isolated Berber tribes too
And I doubt there are pure Berbers with blonde hair.

I don't care about North Africans anyway, I'm just saying the Viking contribution to the genetics here is negligible.
>>
>>60931828
I'd say 5-10% have blue eyes depending on the area
>>
>>60931961
>Why not?

Because there are barely any Roman colonies in Algeria

>And I doubt there are pure Berbers with blonde hair

There are.
>>
Why does every discussion of Italian ancestry turn into a shitfest about North African admixture?
>>
>>60932254
The real question is why are there so many Italians talking about genetics on /int/
>>
>>60930802

Italian Vikings
>>
>>60930802
*SMACK LIPS*
>>
>>60932279
Idk, I wasn't asking about genetics. I was asking about my surname and shit
>>
>>60932254

Because Italians are niggers. Moors fucked so many Italian women that they forever changed the race of Italians.
>>
File: sopranos kill.webm (281 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
sopranos kill.webm
281 KB, 640x358
>Sicilian ancestry
>surname isn't Corleone
>>
>>60934154
As far as I know, nobody in my family was ever involved with organized crime.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.