[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can i use textbooks without college to learn on my own? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 20130303_210435_1.jpg (60 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
20130303_210435_1.jpg
60 KB, 1024x768
how can i use textbooks without college to learn on my own? I want to study business before getting into mathematics and philosophy.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>I want to study business before getting into mathematics and philosophy.
>>
>>60893316
>how can i use textbooks without college to learn on my own?
put them in a blender with some ice and orange juice, drink it up once smooth
or try reading them you fuckwit
>>
>>60893342
>hurr i want to learn
what are you, an ape?

>>60893345
no shit. but what practices can I use to retain the information?
>>
File: whats-a-book.jpg (69 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
whats-a-book.jpg
69 KB, 600x476
>>60893316

>le wrong generation

>>60893364

>how do i use my brain

jesus fucking christ
>>
Read them
>>
>>60893316
Just fucking read them
Textbooks are pretty a class condensed into a book
>>
>>60893408
>>60893399
>>60893392
>>60893345
>>60893342
so youre all telling me from grade 1 to 12 i did work sheets and wrote essays to retain and display information and my academic progress for no reason? why didnt they just throw books infront of me and tell me to read? why would people pay thousands upon thousands of dollars they dont have when they could 'just read bruh'
>>
>>60893364
read them like a normal book, take notes on key things, if it includes exercises then attempt them

not too hard
>>
>>60893432
fucking christ thank you. I just wanted to know if there was a general standard for self-teaching i wasn't aware of.
>>
>>60893440
obviously everyone is different but I find writing things down then taking time to review them as I go is how I remember shit, it's good to find online what are key things you should know about the topic so you don't waste time taking notes on unnessecary shit
>>
>>60893428
If you just read bruh your understanding of the matter will be way superior to someone who hasn't read shit but somewhat inferior to someone who has gone to classes depending on the classes and ur books and urself
>>
>>60893316
According to the smartest man in the world textbooks are designed to be unusable on their own, so good luck.
>>
File: 1465684057707.jpg (46 KB, 380x500) Image search: [Google]
1465684057707.jpg
46 KB, 380x500
>>60893428
>he wasn't home-schooled
>>
I thought I was on /sci/

that explains the responses
>>
>>60893488
I find they're really more just minimalist, guided reading reference books. Just go through a textbook, look up explanations, do activities if there are any (ie the problems in a math textbook), and then go forth and conquer.
>>
>>60893488
Depends on the textbook, I'd say. I pretty much mastered first year chemistry with just reading the book and doing all the suggested work. But the book was completely inadequate for second-year chemistry; it didn't even contain any organic chem beyond the very basics.

So yeah, you can learn pretty amazing stuff basically by teaching yourself. But also, yeah, a lot of books are inadequate. The worst of them are just books designed to make money.
>>
If you need some structure, google up a syllabus that looks good. Limit the search to domains of some of the better universities (site:caltech.edu or whatevs). That'll give you topics to focus on. Best if you can find a text that matches to a specific course at a good university.

But uh... why business before math and philosophy? Not that business is more complicated, but math/philo might give you a better insight into business models (whereas an understanding of business approaches/methods won't offer much in studing math/philo).
>>
>>60893440
Have you never been educated in your life? That's the general process for studying anything, from primary school to university.
>>
>>60894413
Undergrad degrees are not really about learning. It's about measuring you by a certain standard so that employers know you've got the basics. At university level, you are expected to at least 70% self-learn. So OP can do it on his own but good luck trying to convince total strangers to hire him.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.