[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused the Baltic states to do so much better than the rest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: ussr_hdi_w_title.jpg (170 KB, 1035x877) Image search: [Google]
ussr_hdi_w_title.jpg
170 KB, 1035x877
What caused the Baltic states to do so much better than the rest of the USSR after the fall of the union /his/?
>inb4 Euro money
Yeah, because Russia's gas money isn't much better than that,
>>
>>60867664
swedish influence
>>
Euro monies basically, that's pretty much it. We had the EU to prop us up almost immediately.
>>
File: 1466021004592.jpg (184 KB, 404x670) Image search: [Google]
1466021004592.jpg
184 KB, 404x670
>>60867664
>Moldova 0.68
>Turkmenistan 0.698
>Wake me up
>WAKE ME UP
I CAN'T WAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP
>>
>>60867664
They were probably always the richest and most developed part of russia because they were ruled by the templars and later sweden.

But that doesn't explain lithuania, they were always slavniggers no better than poland and russia.
>>
>>60869084
But haven't Russian oil money been much better for the most of the time?
>>
>>60867664
>/his/
Did you mean to type this in /his/?

>after the fall
Well we were in a better situation than other countries well before the collapse, as I recall. Other than that, EU monnies, better policies, giving the boot to old fucks that prefer helping their own pockets than the country (even though there are still hundreds of them left in the government).

You can't really compare Estonia to Tajikistan, the countries are just too different. We've been closer to the EU than them, had more interaction with relatively wealthier and more developed countries, which helped us. Taji's had countries like fucking Kyrgyzstan or whatever.

What you could do is look in-depth into Tajikistan policies, what they did correct, what wrong, what backfired, the situation with their neighbors. What other, better countries in their area are doing, etc. Eventually you'll work out why are they falling behind others.

These kinds of questions don't have a single and easy answer.
>>
>>60867664
Can't really compare us with rest of soviet union, I mean russia has always been a corrupt shits, can't expect nothing from them. And also baltics were the best off when we got occupied aswell. Look at your map, who are the rest of USSR, russia , russia number 2 and three and churkas. Hardly any contest is there?
>>
>>60869360
Oh, and exclude Moldova. Like how the fucking hell they manage to still be waist deep in shit is beyond me.
>>
>>60869297

Not really, out ties with Russia fade more and more every year. Other Estonians may disagree but we have adopted a much more "European" way of life and identify after the fall is the Soviet union.
>>
>>60867664
Trade. Baltics trade with rich Europe and rest with poor Russia.
>>
>>60867664

Euro monies and we always were one of their best regions, before communism we were pretty much on par with Denmark/Finland.
>>
>>60869297
Euromonies are aimed into infrastructure and EU gets pissed if used in something else. Russian oilmonies in the other hand go to the local pro-Russian dictator or equivalent.
>>
>>60869427
Corruption runs rampant,not even hidden, we still have a communist party , we have an EU party that steals just as much as the commies
Just fucking invade and kill us Pham, almost everyone already left anyway
Ohh and no oil, no natural resources and cucked by Ukraine for sea access
>>
>>60867664
Belarus and Ukraine are much more culturally close to Russia and then were probably more reluctant to move away from it, while the Baltic States had no reason to stay with Russia.
>>
>>60869552
Isn't Transnistra fucking you up and making you pretty much a vassal of Putin ?
>>
>>60869552
Welp, thanks for being the first to recognise our independence.
Hopefully it'll work out for you guys. Since you are so messed up, might as well just experiment with random revolutionary ideas, maybe something will fix you guys.
>>
>>60867664
they are Notherns too
>>
>>60869360
I did not, my mind must have been somewhere at /his/ when I wrote it though.
And thank you for the long answer.
>>
>>60869618
"Transnistria" is nothing but a failed strip of Moldovan land stolen by the eternal Rusky, it's only population is a few hundred thousand old people, all the young ones left , they are about to die because Russia will stop gibs moneyz, Putin doesn't need Transnistria to cuck us
>>
>>60867664
Livonia and Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth had better living standards than Russia.
Baltic countries got rid serfdom earlier in Russian empire than the actual Russians
Baltics had better living standards than Bolshevik Russia.
Baltics had better living standards than rest of the USSR.
Baltics have better living standards than Russia atm.
It was always like that, but why though? The more to the west the richer it gets probably.
>>
>>60869799
>Livonia and Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth had better living standards than Russia.
>Baltic countries got rid serfdom earlier in Russian empire than the actual Russians
>Baltics had better living standards than Bolshevik Russia.
>Baltics had better living standards than rest of the USSR.
>Baltics have better living standards than Russia atm.
>It was always like that, but why though? The more to the west the richer it gets probably.

Trade
>>
>>60867664
>>60869297

Russia's gas and oil money get all stolen by the ruling """elite""" of Russia and transferred abroad.
99% of Russians don't see a single cent of these oilmoney. Our so-called government invests them not into our economy, infrastructure, industry, innovations or welfare, but into their foreign property like villas in Spain and bank accounts in Panama.
>>
>>
>>60870508

The differences in HDI are more or less the same in 2016.
>>
European/Scandinavian influence obviously. The same reason why Finland is so developed now.
>>60870254
This
>>
>>60867664
It's actually 0.754 here
>>
Russia has at least the excuse of being too fucking big for it to be developed properly.
Shame for the -stans, they are a lot more based that the other muslim shitholes but still absolutely fucked
>>
>>60869552
if everyone leaves, can i have moldova?
>>
>>60870588
if anything it's more in our favor post oil price crash

>>60867664
I guess one major difference is we willingly left and sought independence from day one while most other post-soviet countries just got swept up in the geopolitical situation.
Our geographic position also gives us a boost (central asia was fucked no matter what they did). Also there are cultural differences regarding corruption/the way we do business etc.
>>
>>60876883
>more based that the other muslim shitholes
lol no
>>
>>60869243
They have gas.
>>
>>60869084
This

It's the common theme

Also NATO. Balts spend like nothing on their military (before 2014).
>>
>>60869618
No.
>>
>>60880251
It's not a big amount, but still significant for us. This year it's 2.07% of GDP and it was 1.51% when we joined NATO.
>>
mfw literally a northern croatia
>>
>>60883220
Latgale fucks our hdi p hard desu
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.