[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Persia continue to exist as Iran but Babylon disappeared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (13 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13 KB, 800x480
Why did Persia continue to exist as Iran but Babylon disappeared completely? Where did the Babylonians go?
>>
>>60837209
>>>>>>/his/
>>
If you count Persia as Iran why don't you count Iraq as Babylon?
>>
>>60837353
Because Iran still somewhat identifies with Persia. Iraq however has nothing to do with the ancient Babylonians
>>
>>60837209
Because they were Arab'd?
>>
>>60837456
But the Persians got Arab'd as well, yet they continued to exist. My question is why seemingly noone in the middle east identifies with Babylonia. I mean you have Assyrians, Persians, Arabs, Turks, but where are the Babylonians?
>>
>>60837435
why doesn't Iraq have to do with Babylon? because of Arabic? or the religion?
>>
>>60837209
The Arabs invaded Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Levant, and North Africa and Islamified them beyond recognition. Modern Iraqis (save the Kurds) are largely of Babylonian stock.
>>
>>60837295
fuck off
>>60837435
because sumerian identity was overtaken by akkadians who were in turn overtaken by assyrians who were in turn overtaken by christfags

the christfags by and large just became a shitty little minority that was sidelined as they arabicised, but they muh'd the assyrian identity whilst the muslim-converts just became arabs and part of arab kingdoms/empires

in iran on the otherhand, the religious minority with the claim to the original identity were kicked out, so identifying with being iranian wasn't like identifying as a non-muslim + a bunch of native iranian but islamic dynasties popped up preserving their nationhood

really oversimplfiied but i hope you get the gist
>>
>>60837546
They didn't, they're literally Persians who speak Farsi
>>
>>60837630
yes but his question is why didn't they go like berbers or assyrians and by and large become arabs, how did they stay separate
>>
1. Time. Babylonia was dissolved at 539 BCE; Sassanid Persia at 651 CE. 1200 years make a lot of difference, it's kinda natural Persians kept more of their identity because it was more recent.

2. Invaders (Arabs) were culturally closer to Babylonians than to Persians. It's easier to lose your identity when you share more culture with your invader.

3. Iraq is closer to the Arab "motherland" than Iran. Assimilation goes faster due to more contact.

Just my two cents worth explanations.
>>
>>60837553
Because of the general sentiment of the people. They don't call themselves the ancient Babylonians.
>>
>>60838106
That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard
so what? doesn't change anything in real life
>>
>>60839254
>That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard
It isn't retarded. He's talking about identity of peoples. Iranians can relate to Persians and still see as belonging to the same people; Iraqi can't do it with Babylonians.

>so what? doesn't change anything in real life
It does. For example, this "general sentiment" [identity] he talks about is what made some bunch of central Europeans abandon their ghettos and migrate to the Levant.
>>
>>60837209
>Persia continue to exist

All pre-islamic civilizations of the middle east were wiped out, thanks to the rulentless efforts of the arabs.
>>
>>60837209

>man's first attempt at civilization
>babbylon

No thank you.
>>
File: Bunch o Saddams.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
Bunch o Saddams.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1500
Saddam Hussein liked to LARP as a Babylonian king. He even attempted to reconstruct the city completely.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.