[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Napoleon French or Italian (Corsican?)? I mean, the guy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: MTIwNjA4NjMzMjIxNzExMzcy.jpg (166 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjMzMjIxNzExMzcy.jpg
166 KB, 1200x1200
Was Napoleon French or Italian (Corsican?)?

I mean, the guy was born the year that the French conquered Corsica, ge spoke Corsican and he had a Corsican name that he later modified to sound more French. What was his deal? Did he just want to blend into French society? Did he become a genuine Frenchman?
>>
>>60760499
He was both French and Corsican (which is not Italian, Corsicans are to Italians what Croats are to Serbs)
He was born to a Corsican family but grew up in France and spoke perfect French
>>
File: smug shinobu.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug shinobu.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
>>60760565
Ignore this stupid frog. His family was from Genoa and they were descended from a line of nobles from Tuscany. Every great person in post-Roman Italian history was either Tuscan or Venetian. Bastard sold Venice to the Austrians though, so fuck him.
>>
>>60760726
SIAMO STATI NAPOLEON E MIERDA
>>
>>60760565
He did not speak or write perfect french m88
>>
>>60760726
is this objectively true or is it a variant of WE WUZ NAPOLEON?
>>
>>60760885
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon#Origins_and_education

>The Corsican Buonapartes were descended from minor Italian nobility of Tuscan origin, who had come to Corsica from Liguria in the 16th century.
>>
>>60760499
France was the equivalent of USA back then: most populous country in Europe by far, richest, most influential, etc.

Corsica was the equivalent of Hawaii.

So your question is like asking if Obama (born in Hawaii) studied in Harvard, then became US president to blend in American society.
>>
>>60760499

He's uruguayan like everything.
>>
File: 1465832976248.jpg (25 KB, 247x269) Image search: [Google]
1465832976248.jpg
25 KB, 247x269
>>60760936
This is in the French wikipedia as well btw, so frogs can't say it's Anglo propaganda or anything: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_Ier#Naissance

>Napoléon Bonaparte naît à Ajaccio, dans la maison familiale (transformée aujourd'hui en musée3), le 15 août 1769, un an après le traité de Versailles par lequel Gênes cède l'île à la FranceN 2. Ondoyé à domicile, il a pour nom de baptême Napoleone di Buonaparte, et n'est baptisé à la Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption d'Ajaccio que le 21 juillet 1771 (acte de baptême qui atteste cette date, mais sur son acte de mariage avec Joséphine de Beauharnais, il signa Napoleone Buonaparte). Issu d’une famille faisant partie de la noblesse de robe italo-corse dont la présence sur l'île est attestée depuis le XVIe siècle4 (Maison Bonaparte d’origine toscane5)
>>
You can have this guy, dagos, we've a shiton of great military leaders.
>>
File: Napoleon_-_2.jpg (201 KB, 841x1200) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon_-_2.jpg
201 KB, 841x1200
>>60761244
I don't mind with you claiming him as French. He sold my fucking region to Austria. Gotta admit he was pretty handsome when he was younger though.
>>
>>60760958
this, pretty much.
Napoleon was an ambitious young man. He tried to enroll in several armies. It turned out France gave him the best opportunities.

>>60761180
more than 50% of french wikipedia is translation of english wikipedia. Because people are too lazy and don't read books.
>>
>>60760499
he didn't switch sides so take that as you will
>>
>>60760885
Basically the Italians desperately trying to stay relevant with WE WUZ NAPOLEON because their military history is absolute shit
>>
>>60760499

Napoleon wasn't French
Hitler wasn't German
Stalin wasn't Russian
Pilsudski wasn't Polish
The Queen isn't British

The list goes on and on
>>
>>60760499
The greatest military commander of Austria Hungary was also an italian.
We weren't a land full of opportunities for talented people, also our military tradition was different from the other countries in Europe.
>>
French cadets who studied with Napoleon bullied him for his accent

he never learned how to spell French properly
>>
>>60760565
>spoke perfect French
I thought he got bullied because of his accent and misspellings
>>
>>60761180
I don't get your point, generals were french, and Napoléon lost at the end.
Plus he wasn't the best ruler of France. Way far from the Sun King, the ruler of the sky and the one who made the actual metropolitan France, the real core of the most viewed european country in the entire history.

Oh by the wayw at this time, France/Italy... Who cares ?
Italy wasn't just a vessel state dominated by the french ?
>>
>>60760499
Nationality is unironically a social construct.
Ethnicity is not.
He was ethnically Corsican, thus Italian.
But his nationality was French.
>>
>>60765551
Pilsudski wasn't Polish ?
>>
>>60765305
/thread
>>
>>60760499
Italy was in every way totally vassalized to France at this period, so the question is stupid, he was French, raised in France and made great by the french values.
>>
>>60761371
Why do you care so much about being sold to Austria? You united with Italy at the end so I don't understand why you're so anal about it.
>>
>>60760499
>born in French Corsica
>military studies in french school (Brienne)
>lead a french army
>made of french marshalls
>rule France, live in France, eat french food, read french books about muh french culture
>hate Italy, staying troops from Naples are less than no troops at all
>somehow is Italian
>>
>>60770521
t. didn't read the thread

He couldn't even speak your cum guzzling language right.
>>
>>60760866
75% of France at the time did not speak French AT ALL. That actually put him above average in terms of French proficiency.

>>60770719
>hate Italy, staying troops from Naples are less than no troops at all
https://books.google.nl/books?id=EOU0rHbAzfAC&pg=PT94&lpg=PT94&dq=napoleon+naples+no+better+than+no+troops&source=bl&ots=9b6RdJA-gX&sig=AdcZyO0C_FfLR2eckWHIuxiVCbs&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXxK6RoKfNAhVDYJoKHVzrDrQQ6AEIKDAB#v=onepage&q=napoleon%20naples%20no%20better%20than%20no%20troops&f=false
>Napoleon summed up his opinion in no uncertain terms: "You must be aware that [...] these troops are no better than none at all"

You also forgot the final nail in the coffin: Napoleon's last words:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words
>France, armée, Joséphine…

If he's not French, then who is?
>>
>>60770719
>>60770914
>hating terroni = hating Italy

Are you retarded? "Italy" didn't even exist at the time. It was all city-states.
>>
>>60771023
How could he be Italian if the idea of Italy was not even a thing back then ?
>>
>>60760885
No because he actually was Italianooo
>>
>>60771078
Belonged to the Italic ethnicity. Again, I don't care about you claiming him as French, but he was ethnically Italic.
>>
File: 1464289328005.png (71 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1464289328005.png
71 KB, 2000x2000
>>60771126
Ethnicity doesn't matter anything in France. France is a multiculti country made of germanic snowniggers who suddently claimed "we wuz romans n shiiiet" back in the Vth Century. All that matters is the french culture and identity, wherever you're from.
>>
>>60771126
Which means literally nothing, unless you believe political borders should neatly follow ethnic borders. Hell, I'm pretty sure there are regions in Italy that are ethnically dissimilar to Rome, making the entire concept of an "Italian" ethnicity questionable.
>>
>>60771126
So what
I am ethnically Polish but otherwise completely French, and I consider myself French
So did Napoleon
where is you god now
>>
>>60770330
>ethnically Corsican, thus Italian
>thus italian
no
>>
>>60771200
I bet you don't care about having 40 000 000 blacks and arabs in your country
>>
>>60771209
If you want to be autistic about it, he was Etruscan-Italic since his family was from Tuscany. Italic people ARE a thing. They even have a haplogroup belonging exclusively to them.
>>
>>60771332
Literally
>He shares half a haplotype with us, pureblooded Italian prince!
>>
>>60771259
I wouldn't minde 40 millions blacks and arabs if they were good christians and frenchboos, acting all like perfectly normal frenchmen with normal french accents, eating french food, reading french book and joining the french army. It's especially great once they get all of the french characteristics of huge pride and start shitty arguments for anything with everyone.
>>
>>60771384
I'm a black Franceboo but I'm not willing to join the French army or become a christian.

(((can I come?)))
>>
>>60771372
I already said I don't care about frogs claiming him as French though. I still think he has his Tuscan heritage to thank a lot of his success for though. Tuscany produced geniuses like no other.
>>
He was Greek,his family came from pelloponesus and they were butchers.
Napoleon kalomeros
>What kind of meat you want?
>The kalo(good/bona) meros(part/parte)

Btw they spoke Greek inside their home
>>
>>60771384

Je pense que la France doit "rester blanche", mais j'ai aucun problème avec nos territoires ultramarins
>>
>>60760499
he was as italian as Marko polo was croatian
>>
>>60772114
Are you implying Marco Polo was ethnically Croatian? There's no evidence to back that up.
>>
File: bone for tuna.jpg (82 KB, 955x635) Image search: [Google]
bone for tuna.jpg
82 KB, 955x635
>>60772114
bone for tuna
>>
Napoleon was Dutch
>>
>>60772171
Mark van den Pol was Dutch
>>
Does Italian and French differ so much?
Both are descendants of Populus Romanus, aren't they?
>>
>>60776543
The Dutch are descendant of the Populus Romanum either.
>>
File: Mediterranean-admixture.gif (63 KB, 800x581) Image search: [Google]
Mediterranean-admixture.gif
63 KB, 800x581
>>60776543
They have some mediterranean admixture, although not as much as us. They like to pretend they're special snowflakes and don't have a clear identity.
>>
who cares, he wouldnt have done shit with the italians. and his marechals were brilliant.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.