[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polish language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Flag_of_Poland[1].jpg (46 KB, 677x722) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Poland[1].jpg
46 KB, 677x722
How long would it take me to learn Polish from scratch?

Also, how do I pronounce the following letters:

ą, ć, ę, ł, ń, ó, ś, ź, ż
>>
>>60704997
Why would you ever learn Polish? Unless you have a really specific reason, don't bother. It's a difficult and useless language.
>>
Well, think about how long it takes to learn a Germanic or Romance language. Now, account for all the extra grammatical features and far different vocabulary. I'd say it would take at least double the time.

Also, this >>60706586
Unless you have some really good personal reason, there's really no point. It'll probably just be a mildly cool party trick at best.
>>
Just check the wikipedia page for polish phonology if you want to learn the sounds.
>>
>>60704997
From the top of my head:

ą - nasal "a" like in RP "father"
ć - softer "ch"
ę - nasal "e" like in RP "bed"
ł - like "w" like in "water"
ń - softer "n", somewhat like in "new"
ó - like "u", as in "food" but shorter
ś - softer "sh",
ź - softer "g" like in "mirage" or "vision"
ż - I think this was [ʐ], a retroflex "zh", i.e pronounced with your tongue in a weird way. hard to describe
>>
>>60709710
Nice
>>
>>60709710
>ź - softer "g" like in "mirage" or "vision"
No, it's ż/rz.
ź is softer version of z like ć and ś are softer versions of ts/t and s.
>>
>>60709710
>>60710856
Thanks you.

>>60706586
>>60707188
I'm just interested to learn it for the challenge. Also, the Polish are our largest non-Anglophone immigrant group, so it 'll be easy to practice.
>>
>>60709710
I don't think I've ever in my life heard someone say fąther or będ. It would be very strange.
>>
>>60712148
I think if you dedicate yourself really, then 2 years is quite possible to become intermediate. I think during 1st year you will be able to hold conversation easily on some everyday topics. I think the worst thing about Polish language is the grammar but on the other hand you have a lot of freedom when you form sentences and letters sound exactly the same in every word.
People tend to boast how Polish is difficult while in most cases there are some parts of it which are intimidating and some are pretty similar to other European languages, even English.
I think the best way is to use our diaspora as your test field for conversations. I think it would be necessary to take some lessons if you want to master grammar and add some consistency to your plan.
Good luck and if you want to start with something and test yourself, why not try our famous children's book called Elementarz?
It is a set of tutorials which have simple sentence structure, simple words and you get a grasp of whole alphabet. I think with a dictionary you can make it easily.
>>
>>60713152
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty good with languages, so maybe I'll pick it up a little quicker. The only thing that's daunting is the alphabet. I'm an Irish speaker, and I'd be surprised if Polish grammar is any more complicated than that.

Also, how similar is Polish to Czech and Russian?
>>
>>60715550
Similar to Czech and somehow similar to Russian.
But don't expect to speak all 3 by just studying Polish.
>>
>>60715550
If you know Czech or Russian, expect quite a headstart. From what I've seen, there are a lot of similar words in those three languages.
>>
>>60715550
It's much more similar to Russian than people like to say it is. The cognates sometimes aren't recognizable until you notice the patterns.
>>
>>60704997
Czcyzsycyzcyscyzsycyzscyyzscyzsczyscyzyscyczsycys mzsycyzscyzysycyzsczscyszcyyzsycyzscyyzscyzycsyzsycyszy kyzcsyzsycyzscyzyczyscyzyscyzyscyzyscysy
>>
File: lexicaldistanceielangs.jpg (71 KB, 841x601) Image search: [Google]
lexicaldistanceielangs.jpg
71 KB, 841x601
>>60715915
No it's not. Do you even know anything about slavic languages or are you just a burger who likes to comment on things he has no idea about?
>>
>>60715915
>let me tell you about your language
ameriblobs everyone
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.