[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: why.png (11 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
why.png
11 KB, 290x174
What is the point of this country?
Why is the language different and how did they decide their borders?
>>
Wales
>>
>>60620613
Welsh longbows a superior medieval weapon
>>
File: BUILD THE WALL.jpg (35 KB, 700x514) Image search: [Google]
BUILD THE WALL.jpg
35 KB, 700x514
>>60620935
Yew got that right
>>
>>60620613
The Welsh are the true owners of the British Isles. They were there before the Anglo-Saxons stole their land. Their language is different because they speak a Celtic language, a descendant of what was spoken by the ancient Celts in that area.
>>
>>60620613
England's official expansion pack.
>>
>>60621083
kek
>>
>>60620613
>What is the point?
What's the point of any country? I dunno, it's where I was born I guess. ask me anything
>Why is the language different?
It's a celtic language, English is Germanic. So Welsh is actually from the british isles. It sounds a lot different from English out loud, except for a few words. I like the language
>How did they decide their borders?
Same way as most places in Europe, they just sort of evolved over time with feudal lords and terrain features and shit. Also a dude called Offa built a big ditch between England and Wales to stop us raiding them.
>>
>>60623823
>It's a celtic language[...}So Welsh is actually from the british isles.
Yes, but not for that reason. There are plenty of Celtic speakers who had nothing to do with the British Isles (Such as Galatians, Celtibirians, Gauls, Belgae etc.), nor are they the first language on the Isles. That said, all extant Celtic languages indeed diverged on Britain into Goidelic/Gaelic (Irish, Manx and Highlander-Scottish) and Brythonic (Welsh, Manx and Breton).
They are just as native to the isles as the Germanic languages of the Lowland Scots and English; they too displaced the earlier languages.

Also, the reason why English sounds the way it does is mainly because of the Brythonic influence unto the Frisian, Saxon, Jutish and Anglian the Germanic migrants spoke..
>>
>>60624120
My bad, never claimed to be a linguist.
Listen to this anon, he knows more about language than me
D-diolch yn fawr, anon
>>
>>60620613
>Welsh live under Rome as native Britons
>Rome pulls out, and Saxons / Angles invade
>Saxons and Angles take most of the land, driving Welsh to the more rough land of Wales.
>Many native Britons assimilate into the Saxons (probably)
>Welsh sulk, and get salty after fruitlessly fighting back. Come up with King Arthur myth to make them feel better.
>England forms from the various Saxon Kingdoms.
>England takes over Wales, after they fruitlessly fight back once again.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.