[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some words in non-english languages that have no direct
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15
What are some words in non-english languages that have no direct English translation?

Can you explain as best you can what they mean? I love words like that.
>>
>>60598017
Augənmas - it's a sense of things; when you know how much something weighs or what size it is simply from looking at it.

Šolənga - The wooden construction put in place so that concrete can be put in shape. I don't even think we have a Slovene word for it.
>>
L’esprit de l’escalier - translates to spirit of the stairs; it means when you think of a response too late
>>
>>60598207
C'est québécois ? J'ai jamais entendu parlé de "l'esprit de l'escalier".
>>
File: 1465025649721.jpg (37 KB, 420x408) Image search: [Google]
1465025649721.jpg
37 KB, 420x408
>>60598207
>>60598258
Stop speaking your heathen gibberish REEEEEEEEE
>>
Frühjahrsmüdigkeit, refers to feeling tired and exhausted in Spring
>>
Sobremesa - it's when you have a lunch with your friends/family and when you finnish you keep chatting instead of leaving the table

Estrenar - it means to wear new clothes for the first time publicly, not just going to the store and try them for the first time

Regodearse - schadenfraude
>>
>>60598150
Šolənga - Shoring in English i think, kind of means any construction material used to hold another in place.
>>
Ordinario - it literally means "ordinary", but it also can be used as "vulgar", "blunt"
Mamerto - It can mean either commie or dipshit
Pato - literally it means "duck" but people use it as synonym of "beta", "awkward person", "creep"
>>
>>60598258
Non.
>>
>>60598017
It shits me English has no voila or bon appetitto equivalent.
>>
saudades- a missing or longing for someone
>>
>>60598017

Pålegg - it means anything you can put on a slice of bread (condiments, cheese, ham etc)

Utepils - To sit outside on a sunny day enjoying a beer.

Koselig (Hygge) - used to describe the feeling of warmth and friendliness that arises from sharing simple pleasures of life with people you like.
>>
>>60598558
rare and etc.
>>
>>60598445
Thanks, I've learned a new word today.
>>
>>60598558
rare flag
Just out of interest, are you a tourist there?
>>
>>60598308
Nique ta mère.
>>
>>60598604
you guys and at least also the Dutch also have "pilsen", which is "to drink Pils beer" in one verb. I'm a little surprised that we don't have it (yet)
>>
By the way, Germans ITT; what would be the German equivalents of >>60598150?
>>
>>60598759
1) Augenmaß
2) No idea, but don't know many construction terms in genereal
>>
>>60598460
>it literally means "ordinary", but it also can be used as "vulgar", "blunt"
we have the same word in english, Common means something that occurs alot but also someone who is vulgar and blunt
>>
>Empalagar

“the unpleasant feeling after eating too much sweet”…

>Vergüenza ajena

"Feel embarrassed for somebody else"
>>
>>60598662
Live here. American teaching English
>>
>>60598857
>>Vergüenza ajena
>"Feel embarrassed for somebody else"
This is called Fremdscham or fremdschämen in verb form in Germany
>>
>>60598868
Chris Ryan?
>>
>>60598017
>voilà
Means voilà.

>dépaysement
Literally the "uncountryment", the poetic sensation (enthusiastic or sad, or both) that comes from being far from your country.

>ensevelir
A solemn way to say "to bury".

>fleuve
Extremely basic word. English only has the word "river" to translate two French ideas: fleuve and rivière. A fleuve goes into the sea, but not a rivière.

>y, en
Small words used for allusions to something previously mentioned.

>saloperie
An unfair move, a dirty material, or even a despicable person.

>laïcité
Touchy word. Sums up our complex relationship with religions. Means secularism, neutrality, godlessness, and sometimes anticlericalism; it's an ideology and an institutional system. A French politician who invokes God or the Bible in a speech would commit a major offence against laïcité, and huge butthurt ensues.
>>
File: shepardpfft.jpg (23 KB, 425x491) Image search: [Google]
shepardpfft.jpg
23 KB, 425x491
>>60599067
>Extremely basic word. English only has the word "river" to translate two French ideas: fleuve and rivière. A fleuve goes into the sea, but not a rivière.

...You mean an estuary?
>>
>gezellig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2mxbnsKVY

means having a good time

and

>lekker
everything is lekker
>>
>>60599325
No, an estuary is an estuaire.

A rivière is more like a tributary. And a fleuve is more like a river. But rivière isn't river.

Anyway, in a more common sense (not technical), "rivière" just means mid-size river, and "fleuve" big-ass river. So it can depend on your appreciation.
>>
they're actually two of my favorite words
懐かしい - "Natsukashii"
物の哀れ - "Mono no aware"
So you find something from your childhood, something you completely forgot about.

You're filled with unbridled joy and a strange curiosity, eager to re-immerse yourself in this newfound thing. This is "Natsukashii"

then after a little bit, you're filled with a strange melancholy, remembering the good times and wishing for them to come back, how much simpler things were. That's nostalgia, a native english word.

Then, if it goes even further, you begin to realize it'll never be that way again. Nothing will ever be as it was, and that's just how life is. A gentle, wistfulness towards life and its inherently transient nature, and a deeper sorrow at how this can't be changed. That's "mono no aware"
>>
>>60598017
Itadakimasu - receiving food nuance in Japanese
>>
>>60599700
let me expand a little bit more
>A gentle, wistfulness towards life and its inherently transient nature, and a deeper sorrow at how this can't be changed"

> No matter what, everything will come to pass, friends will drift away, new ones will come forth, the seasons must change, twilight must make way for dusk, nothing is permanent.
That's "mono no aware"
I think it's truly a beautiful word
>>
>>60598604
>Pålegg - it means anything you can put on a slice of bread (condiments, cheese, ham etc)
Topping?
>>
this is too good for page 7
>>
>>60601186
/int/ punishes good thread and encourages shitposting and mundane generals.
>>
I just thought of a few more - rabutati. It means to pick fruit from a tree from another man's plot of land. I looked it up and it doesn't seem to have an English equivalent.
Jeshar - someone who shouts very loudly. Comes from people who sold jesih (another word for vinegar - standard word is kis) because they always shouted to attract buyers.
Buče can mean pumpkins but also bullshit. Often used when talking about politics.
Krompir is a word that means potato but in another context can mean luck.
>>
>>60601414
>It means to pick fruit from a tree from another man's plot of land
We have the term "epleslang" for that concept, but it's a noun and not a verb.
>>
>>60598017
English is too simple and straight that words have often only one meaning/emotion/atmosphere.
>>
>>60598857
>Vergüenza ajena

We just call that second-hand embarrassment
>>
>>60598498
Have at it
Get stuck in
Enjoy
Dinners served
Grubs up
Fill your boots
>>
>>60601640
itadakimasu
>>
File: mammi.jpg (42 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
mammi.jpg
42 KB, 580x326
>Mämmi

It's a Finnish delicacy which looks like shit to foreigners.
>>
>>60601491
I guess you could form a noun from it but I've never heard it, only in verb form.
>>
File: скачанные файлы.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
скачанные файлы.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
пoдъeзд (pod'jezd)
>>
>>60601758
looks like poop
>>
>>60601826
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%8A%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B4

>>60601758
>literally eating shit
(w)ew
>>
"mos" in Afrikaans.
It implies that the listener has some context or knowledge to what you're speaking about.
So "Jy weet mos dat hy 'n poes is"
You know that he's a cunt (but with the emphasis on the know because of "mos" so that this would be used in the context of like 'why are you surprised he was mean to you'"
Another example "Wil jy partytjie vanaand?" "Ek gaan more mos"
Do you want to party tonight?
I'm going to tomorrow (you know)
>>
>>60601930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPhxdyNXjU&feature=autoshare
>>
File: Maður Blundar.jpg (104 KB, 1024x653) Image search: [Google]
Maður Blundar.jpg
104 KB, 1024x653
Blunda - close one's eyes, keep one's eyes shut.
>>
File: 1442419204171.png (63 KB, 155x202) Image search: [Google]
1442419204171.png
63 KB, 155x202
>>60598308
τι έγινε μωράkι δεν μπορείς να kαταλάβεις τι γράφουμε?
>>
>>60602122
Even google translate doesn't understand your moon rune shit
>>
File: 1442157840195.png (346 KB, 779x952) Image search: [Google]
1442157840195.png
346 KB, 779x952
>>60602174
top kek Zang.
>>
>>60602080
>roody poo
Stopped watching right there.

>>60602089
We have that as well. Mižati - to keep eyes closed; zamižati - to close the eyes
>>
File: dabs.jpg (76 KB, 800x795) Image search: [Google]
dabs.jpg
76 KB, 800x795
>>60602238
>>
>>60598017

In Catalan, the most famous one is probably "seny". It's a concept that involves wisdom, well-thinking of things, level-headedness...

It has Germanic etymology. The closest word that I've found, in another language, is the German verb "Sinnen", defined in wiktionary:

"To think, to ponder, to cogitate"
>>
>>60598759
Verschalung
>>
File: 1464099080973.gif (148 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1464099080973.gif
148 KB, 340x340
>>60598017
Gigil
- The irresistable urge to squeeze lolis.
>>
File: 1461268301629.gif (1 MB, 400x478) Image search: [Google]
1461268301629.gif
1 MB, 400x478
>Schadenfreude
Enjoying someone elses misfortune
>>
>>60604924
>It has Germanic etymology. The closest word that I've found, in another language, is the German verb "Sinnen", defined in wiktionary:

I think this world is related to Italian "senno"
>>
>>60605048

that's actually used a lot in english believe it or not
>>
File: captain_poland.jpg (279 KB, 1024x1416) Image search: [Google]
captain_poland.jpg
279 KB, 1024x1416
>>60598017
załatwić - truly polish verb - to fix/do/manage/handle/organize sth legally or illegaly.
>>
>>60598017
Kombinować. It's a bit like "to scheme", but applies to achieving or obtaining absolutely anything through smart use of dubious channels and methods, most often contacts. So you can "kombinować how to qualify for welfare", "kombinować how to get some vodka in the middle of the night", "kombinować how to dodge conscription", "kombinować how to buy X cheaper" etc.
>>
>>60599785
Goddamn, I'm not sure whether to feel depressed or inspired by this
>>
>>60605212
i do my anglosaxon friend
>>
Doppelgänger - a person who looks exactly like yourself
>>
here are some Venetian words that directly entered the english vocabulary:

ghetto
lazzaretto
regatta
ciao
>>
File: 1443805750616.jpg (201 KB, 600x871) Image search: [Google]
1443805750616.jpg
201 KB, 600x871
>>60605048
used in polish too. Also Reisefieber - an anxiety before a journey/a travel anxiety
>>
>>60605452
Wihajster is probably the best German loanword ever.
>>
File: bro, seriously.jpg (51 KB, 244x255) Image search: [Google]
bro, seriously.jpg
51 KB, 244x255
>>60605738
>Not kibel
>>
>>60605168

Yes. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/senno

It's of Germanic etymology, tho. I'm still right in that :)
It apparently developed in the two languages. Although in Catalan it has evolved to an essential part of Catalan culture. I don't know if that's the case in Italy.
Thank you for showing me it. Apparently, the Castillian "sien" is also related, but it refers to a part of the head. Those spanitards, always destroying their heritage...
>>
野次馬(yajiuma)
People who come on the scene of crime or an accident just for fun
>>
Schaumpatron

Austrian dialect for a can of beer. Literally: foam shell/cartridge.

Fernweh

The longing to be somewhere abroad, to travel, as opposed to Heimweh, the longing to be home/pain of not being home. Some dictionaries suggest wanderlust (which is, of course, itself a word borrowed from German) as a translation for Fernweh, but it's not quite the same. There's more pain and unfulfilled desire in Fernweh.
>>
halyava (хaлявa) - something you get for free without putting any effort or money
>>
All these irrelevant languages spewing out their nonsense.

How about some REAL words, that show a discrepancy of meaning.

The greek word for honour does not entail the same meaning. Greeks consider honour to be a much more social word (the way society perceives you).

Westeners have a very introverted version. Personal honour, ancestral honour. Which is nonexistent in the greek language.

τιμη
>>
The only thing I know is that "apply for a job" does not have a translation to spanish, it would be something like "presentarse para ser elegido para un trabajo" too long
>>
>>60604924
In spanish "con cabeza" is the same as "amb seny" but it's kind of colloquial
>>
>>60598558
My literal nigga. Saudade ftw.
>>
>>60606940
Is this literally because in Spain, everyone gets their job by just having contacts/relatives?
>>
>>60607021

Yeah. That's a big part of the meaning. I think that "seny" includes more things, tho. Like values, ethics, normatives of the Catalan society...
It's complicated to explain, and probably different people will give different definitions.

Seny is usually thought as the opposite of "rauxa". Rauxa is related to "rampell" ("arrebato" in Spanish). Rampell is the simple word, meaning the same as in Spanish. Rauxa is the "way of doing" (Doing things with impulsitivity, emotion, without thinking)
>>
>>60606170
from franco/provenzale sinn/sen
http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/senno/
>>
>>60606170
senno:
Faculty, attitude to understand, judge and act with prudence and wisdom
>>
>>60598150
>Šolənga
Shoring

>>60598207
afterwit

>>60598460
>Ordinario
common

>Pato
goose

>>60598498
eat, enjoy, dinners served, get stuck in

>>60598558
pining

>>60598604
>Pålegg
topping, filling

>Koselig (Hygge)
there are so many easy translations that I cant be bothered to write any

>>60598857
>Empalagar
There are lots of words for this and Im not writing them all

>>60599067
>dépaysement
countrysick

>fleuve
trunk

>saloperie
despicable describes all of those

>>60606371
wat

>>60606490
There are a lot of words for this
>>
>>60598334
>Frühjahrsmüdigkeit, refers to feeling tired and exhausted in Spring
and what's the purpose of that word?
>>
>przedwczoraj
day before yesterday
>>
>>60607866
To describe that feeling in a word?

Are you retarded?
>>
>>60607922
i've never felt such a "feeling"

what does being tired has to do with spring? I'd just use a common "being tired"
>>
>>60607912
ereyesterday

the opposite is overmorrow
>>
>>60607835
I mean, "out of curiosity"
>>
>>60599067
>laïcité is one of the cornerstones of the French Republic
>yet they invite millions of practicing muslims into the country and give them the right to vote
>>
do you have any pics of martina hingis?
>>
>>60607984
what

do you seriously use these words
>>
>>60608024
Yeah but thats a weird concept

I think the phrase for it would be crime scene tourists or crime tourists or something similar
>>
>>60608068
>What are some words in non-english languages that have no direct English translation?

And theyre not that weird
>>
magufo is a derrogatory word for those turbobelievers in paranormal and new age shit that can't shut up about it and keep trying to "convert" people
>>
why is this british guy shitting up his own thread

just let people give the words they like, you dont need to rate them
>>
>>60608304
>here are word not in english rofl
>500+ translations

9gag.com
>>
>>60608304
half of the words here are basically made up and useless no wonder english doesn't have a direct translation, it's not needed
>>
>>60604924
Sensatez. Retard.
>>
>>60598017
its vast especially those sound effect words called ono-something

its pretty much annoys and interests me that some versatile japanese words like muri, muda, dame, and shit dont exist in english. the only one of that kind meshes with each other is impossible=fukanou. but the functionality is still pretty different as much as you can get confused by it.
in japanese you can practically express almost every negative emotion in each situation even with only these few ones.
>>
Ofirno - it could be some thing really obvious, something that stands out, or something embarassing

Raja - a group of friends you are close to, or a person that is really friendly and sociable.

Zakjuče, Zaksutra - 3 days ago, or 2 days after tomorrow
>>
you can fuckabout with genders ie nėščias - a pregnant man
>>
>>60598017
Here are some in Italian

spoglie, salma
2 repectful and solemn ways to call, during a funeral, the coffin and the dead person

Ammazzacaffe'
(coffe killer) The last, short, digestive alchoolic drink (grappa, vodka, amaro) to end a dinner.

Amaro
(bitter) a kind of alchoolic "digestive" drink

Menefreghista
from "me ne frego" (I don't give a fuck)

Qualunquismo (whatever-ism), means an attitude of distrust, scepticism and apathy towards politics

Gattara
a woman – typically elderly – who devotes her time to looking after stray cats

Magari!
This is a tricky word for English speakers to grasp as it has so many different meanings that don't always directly translate.
Typically, it’s translated as “even if”, “maybe” or “probably” in a sentence.
But as an exclamation, “magari!” is an expression of a strong desire. For example, if someone asks if you’d like to win first prize in the lottery,
you may truthfully say: “magari!”. Although there’s no single-word equivalent in English, in this context it means: “If only it were true!”

Culaccino
An Italian word referring to the circle of condensation left on a table after picking up a perspiring glass, (not widely used)

Scarpetta
(little shoe) the act of cleaning a dish with a piece of bread at the end of the meal
>>
Empalagarse “the unpleasant feeling after eating too much sweet”

Anteayer “The day before yesterday”
>>
>>60609663
>empalagarse
good one
>>
File: 1464666862018.png (53 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
1464666862018.png
53 KB, 207x200
cheeki breeki
>>
>>60609840
i'm slav, can confirm cyka bliad
>>
>>60608513
It's not the same, retard. Seny involves a lot more.
>>
>>60609840
Don't you try to slight me with your gopnik slang, it translates (in context of the game) to "I'm on top", or "I have the advantage". It's an abstract and confusing thing to say even in Russian or Ukrainian, because the criminals are using a type of code to confuse their enemies.
>>
>>60606371
「rubberneck(ers)」でしょ
>>
>>60607835
>dépaysement
Not countrysick
dépaysement is to put oneself or someone in a situation or place which is very different (alien) to the one that one is used to.
There's no nostalgia, longing or yearning, unlike with homesickness.

>fleuve
Not trunk
A river is always an affluent that ends up in a fleuve.
A fleuve is the main stream that ends up in the sea or ocean.

>saloperie
Muck, filth.

Another one:
mitonner
Taking one's time to cook for the pleasure and enjoyment of cooking.
>>
>>60598604
>Paaleg
"Fillings" in American English

>Koselig
Literally coziness, they're even cognates you dummy
>>
lagom
>>
>>60609663
>Empalagarse
"Heavy" or "feeling sick" both mean this in the context of eating too much sweets

>Anteayer
>Ante ayer
Ayy fuk u
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.