[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/language learning/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 1453452667000.jpg (159 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1453452667000.jpg
159 KB, 900x900
Discuss language learning. What language(s) are you learning and why?
>>
>>60597479
Chicanooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>60597493
enculé
>>
>What language
Spanish
>Why
It's the only relevant language that's easy to learn for a Dutchman.

All languages that are on the same tier of relevancy (Mandarin, Hindustani, Arabic, Russian) are way harder.
>>
i'm learning american because english is sucks but i heard japs prefer bonglish
>>
File: image.jpg (434 KB, 1280x1013) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
434 KB, 1280x1013
>What language are you learning?

French.

Why?

I'm gonna fail all my classes so I'm going to take a 6 months brake from college, there is this extensive course of four months in this European academy that basically teach you to speak a language that you don't know in, well, 4 months. Besides I'm planning on moving to France in the future so I've to do this. I also fucking love the French language so that's a plus, of course.
>>
>>60597603
Is El Salvador as dangerous as people say it is?
>>
>>60597706
Of course it is, we're the most violent country in the world after all, but the majority of people who get killed here are gangsters or civilians from really poor communities, sonic you're middle class then you won't feel unsafe. I'm a low middle class dude and if somebody told me that this country is one of the safest in the world then I'd believe them because I've never experienced any kind of violence. But yeah, poor people have it really rough around here.
>>
>Language
German
>Why
Heritage

Most of my problems stem from being to lazy to study every day ;/
>>
German but the I'm progressing painfully slow, if at all
>>
Learning Spanish and Russian.

The "r" in Spanish is really tricky for me right now. I can pronounce it fine by itself, but when other consonants get involved I get tripped up. Saying phrases like "cuatro dólares" makes my tongue stop working.

Russian is difficult all around.
>>
I've been trying to learn spanish for awhile now..I've been on hiatus for so long :(
>>
[bump]
>>
>>60597479
I'm trying to learn Russian but haven't found any teacher in my town neither have I found good lessons online.

>Why?
Slavic heritage.
>>
>>60599411
You can go to Transnistria and stay there until you pick up the language :^)
>>
>>60599436
I am going to have my face dented there for sure. That is the only third world place in Europe along Kosovo.
>>
>>60597479
I want to learn German and Finnish but I don't know where to start.
>>
>>60599627
if you don't know, duolingo

go from there
>>
>>60597479
>What language
German
>Why
Two reasons: 1- i like it, i find it the most interesting one, sound and grammar (some years ago i thought of learning french, but after some lessons i realized i didn't like it. ). 2- It's important if you're studying engineering (what i'm studying).
And there's another reason, within 25, or maybe 30 years, the germans will be no more (jamals and ahmeds will eventually take over) so it'll be cool to speak a dead language
>>
>French
I just want to, it's a pretty generic choice I know
>>
Russian

Because it's a beautiful language.
>>
I'm learning German and Russian. I'm conversational in German, and a complete beginner in Russian.

German is a difficult language with many rules. It took me about 8 months to learn 90% of the grammar, but that's just half the work. You need to learn how to use the language in a way that sounds natural to native speakers and that can be difficult. It takes time. It's fortunately not too difficult to pronounce (some words are challenging though) and the orthography generally makes sense/is logical.

Russian is a bitch. The grammar is hard (desu, if I were anglo I'd just give up immediately,) but that's not even the worst part of it. The fucked up phonology is what fucks with me the most, and the fact that I can't pronounce some sounds correctly for the life of me.
>>
>>60600058
German has always been easy for me (especially considering we share a HUGE amount of vocabulary and a massive chunk of grammar apart from those dreaded cases) but I've never had the motivation to properly learn it, even though it would take me a year tops to reach C1 level I think. It just doesn't feel like a new language to me.
>>
>>60600058
>Russian
>fucked up phonology
Russian sounds natural to me.
>>
>>60600498
The sound itself is not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the relationship between the pronunciation and the orthography.

Syllable stress is completely arbitrary and must be learned for each word, and vowels have a tendency of changing dramatically depending on whether they're unstressed or not.

A word like пepeвoд is actually pronounced like пъpивoд or something because of vowel reduction. A word like вoдa is actually pronounced like вaдa, and so on. This shit also happens with case inflections so even after memorising the 6 case inflections for each of the 3 genders, I still have no idea how it's actually pronounced.
>>
>>60600676
It's пьpивoт I think
>>
>>60601358
ah yes, I forgot that final consonants are always devoiced.
>>
Russian might be one of the few languages where you can't expect to pronounce the words in a recognizable manner before you get sick of the whole thing and drop it entirely.
>>
>>60601472
what was it like for you to learn russian writing as a kid? was it difficult due to the disparity between the spoken and the written language?
>>
>>60601521
I have hyperlexia or something, I learned to read before I was 3 and I remember any word with the exact spelling instantly, in Russian or English.
>>
What is the easiest language to learn? (apart from English)
>>
>>60602677
Depends on your mother tongue
>>
>>60602677
For a native speaker of English?

Germanic languages
>Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian
German is a bit harder because it has cases.
>Romance languages
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, French
>>
>>60602677
JAPANESE and KOREAN
>>
>>60602677
Spanish.
>>
>>60602786
I know jack shit about German, but Romance languages have cases too. Why is German that much harder?
>>
>>60601521
Not really. I didn't even realize how different from the pronunciation the spelling actually is until I became interested in phonetics. It's very hard to write words as they sound because their actual phonemic structure is replaced by their "idealized" written form in my head.
>>
>>60597514

is French not easy for a dutchman
>>
I want to learn an asian language
Among Korean, Japanese and Chinese what would you recomend me?
>>
I wanna learn finnish
>>
>>60603863
Chinese.
>>
>>60602902

really?
>>
I learn chinese because I love chinese culture but chinese pronunciation very difficult and there're so many hieroglyphs. And sometimes I was so lazy to learn them ,so my level of chinese ( and english ) not so good as I want.
>>
>What language
Japanese
>Why
idk
>>
>>60602983
The difference being that German (like Latin) is much more complicated, because for every case and gender you have a form of the nouns/adjectives/articles.

For example,

nom. is "der Apfel" (the apple)
gen. is "des Apfels"
dat. is "dem Apfel"

In Romance languages it's much easier. I know my explanation is shitty but I can't explain it correct in English. To make it simple, German has the Latin way of doing things with cases, where the adjectives and nouns are changed too.
>>
File: 1420447670464.jpg (31 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
1420447670464.jpg
31 KB, 500x404
>>60597859
After finishing his post, this simple El Salvadorian was then shot 57 times by the local ruling mafia.

Poor, poor soul.
>>
for lulz
>>
>>60603863
Japanese, if you want to read mangos and animus.

Chinese, if you want to be relevant.
>>
How do i pronounce "meme"?
>>
>>60598239
>Russian

Here, comrade. This will help you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSln1wzWK7o
>>
>>60602983
>Romance languages have cases too
Isn't it just pronouns that have accusative forms? As far as I know, only Romanian has actual cases among Romance languages.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.