[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The language has gendered nouns Seriously, how can you justify
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 11
File: ZANZUP.jpg (3 KB, 244x206) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
3 KB, 244x206
>The language has gendered nouns

Seriously, how can you justify this? It makes learning your ridiculous language at least 12x more difficult.
>>
>>60497425
i dunno it seems easy enough in german
>>
Learn words with their gender always.

Also, not knowing genders is not THAT crucial to learning a language, at least everyone will be able to understand you.
>>
Just a hassle really
>>
>>60497557
how difficult is learning hebrew
>>
>>60497578
the alphabet looks a bit tricky but it shouldnt be too hard
>>
It's really not that difficult, I know French German and some Swedish and it's not a problem at all.
Just learn '(1)-word' and '(2)-word' instead of just 'word'.
>>
>>60497610
isn't it closely related to arabic?

apparently arabic is neigh-on impossible to learn
>>
>>60497425
>the language has gendered pronouns

Just as ridiculous desu senpai
>>
>>60497678
>apparently arabic is neigh-on impossible to learn
where'd you hear this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvPAfBkq8Q
and yes, they're both semitic languages but theyre very distinct
>>
i was mindblown when i realised English doesnt have it, for me cat is always female
>>
>>60497425

>His language bends verbs depending on subject
>Of course with exceptions to everything

Why do you do this? Worse than grammatical genders.
>>
>>60497973
well be glad it doesnt because if it did you'd have to learn what gender every word is since theyre different in every language
>>
File: HardestLanguages.png (282 KB, 637x691) Image search: [Google]
HardestLanguages.png
282 KB, 637x691
>>60497911
Some American government institute made this tbqhwy
>>
>>60498056
i wouldnt mind, i never had to study english, i learned it naturally
>>
>>60497973
Ships are females though.
>>
>>60498042
the french are worse with verb exceptions
>>60498118
no it's neutral
>>60498087
and they're full of shit. there's no such thing as a "hard" language
>>
>>60498168
>The USS John S. McCain (DL-3/DDG-36) [...]. She was sponsored by Roberta McCain, the daughter-in-law of Admiral what's his face etc.
>>
>his language doesn't have gendered nouns, adjectives and numbers
disgusting desu
>>
>>60497425
>be Slavs
>have gendered nouns
>all nouns that end in -a are female
>all nouns that end in -o or -e are neuter
>all other nouns are masculine
>there's like a dozen exceptions

Much gruelling experience, omfg. I'm aware of the existence of shit-tier languages such as Latin and especially German, but don't group us all together with those masochists.
>>
>>60498087
You have to keep in mind the rating by the FSI is based on the amount of time to be proficient not only in the spoken language but the written aspect as well.
>>
>>60498283
that's more of a personification thing than a grammatical gender thing.
>>60498339
also this written doesnt even matter that much
spoken is much more important
and even so you can learn to read and speak decent japanese a lot faster than that if you know what you're doing
>>
>>60498338
>his language doesn't have 7 general cases with tons of exceptions and special cases
why even bother at that point
>>
File: grammar.png (6 KB, 761x101) Image search: [Google]
grammar.png
6 KB, 761x101
>>60498484
forgot pic
>>
>>60498400
>learning a language in order to speak it

People do this? I don't really expect to ever speak any language well. I'm hesitant in speaking English, even though I've been speaking it for 25 years. German? Nope. Too hard to even attempt to speak it.
>>
>>60498538
because you are autist
>>
>>60498338
even with german you can generally guess from the word what the gender is. it's more complicated than the slav system, but it's learnable. i can just go off instinct most of the time since i learned it as a child however
>>60498538
not everyone has autism
>>
>>60498484
>there's no single set gender-dependent plural form

Germanic languages come from hell. FROM HELL!
>>
>>60498538

>learning a language in order to speak it
>People do this?

Whattafuck. Do you never go out?
>>
>>60498168
>and they're full of shit. there's no such thing as a "hard" language
You are retarded, some language are indeed harder to learn than other.

For instance English is an easy language for a Frenchman because half the words are kind of the same and the grammar is like a simplified version of ours.
But if I were to learn to say Japanese, I would knew nothing about the words and grammar let alone reading so it would be hard to master.
>>
>>60498667
Nope. 95% of my daily communication is through 4chan. When I learn a language, it's to 'communicate' with the dead and their written works, not with actual, dangerous, unpredictable people.
>>
Countries with simpler grammar like Norwegian, Dutch and English are first world countries while countries with complicated grammar like Ukrainian, Lithuanian and Icelandic are third world dumps.

I think complicated grammar makes them slow thinkers.
>>
>>60498800
So which languages do you know?
Would you understand them if you heard them,?
>>
>>60498800

I feel sad for you. There's more good than bad people outside your room.
>>
>>60498852
Norwegian grammar is just Icelandic grammar watered down to the point of barely being similar
>>
>>60498781
I think he means no language is intrinsically harder than another since they can all be spoken by a 5 y.o. from their respective countries. The difference is that some can be more time-consuming than others depending on which languages you speak already.

But this doesn't take into account the writing system, chinese is definitely harder to write than Spanish, native or otherwise.
>>
>>60498870
Slovene, English, German (work in progress), Serbocroatian (more or less), learning Latin with an eye on acquiring Italian and possibly Spanish.

>>60498905
If you wanna travel the world, you gotta be able to think quick and throw a punch. I can't do either, never could.
>>
>>60498852
how the fuck is Iceland third world
>>
>>60499022
Scandinavian languages simplified for higher thought. It's similar to how humans lost their tail for bigger brain.
>>
>>60499161
iceland is the northernmost African country
>>
>>60499118
Are the 'written works' of dead Slovenians that important to you?
>>
File: chekcem.gif (2 MB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
chekcem.gif
2 MB, 366x360
>>60498087
>Why japanese is so hard
>The writing system

Seriously? That shit is just memorization, and the real part of any language is the spoken bits not the writing, and spoken Japanese is piss easy
>>
>>60499295
Slovene is a language so ornate that most of its speakers never completely master its fineries. That's an attractive aspect of this language for me, but its canon is admittedly small.
>>
>>60499161
Would you consider Saudi Arabia first world just because they're rich? Icelanders are just as cultureless and devoid of aspiration as Greenlanders.
>>
it's fine in Spanish
a ending= feminine
o ending= masculine
>>
>>60499461
lol
>>
>>60499475
> el día
> la mano
> la moto
> el sistema
> el idioma

It's not that easy, Steve.
It's a good rule of thumb though.
>>
File: typicalamericanfamilyoutin.jpg (82 KB, 780x583) Image search: [Google]
typicalamericanfamilyoutin.jpg
82 KB, 780x583
>>60499461
>Icelanders are just as cultureless and devoid of aspiration as Greenlanders
>>
>>60499549
yeah but exceptions are for gays
>>
>>60499579
your gay
>>
>>60499579
>>60499549
true
>>
>>60499080
Spanish is objectively easier than most languages, it is phonetic, few exceptions, logical, simple grammar aside from verb conjugations
>>
>>60499695
>Spanish
>phonetic, few exceptions, logical, simple grammar aside from verb conjugations
that's a funny way to spell Japanese`
>>
>>60499571
>In 1923 over 60% of Haiti's land was forested. In 2006, less than 2% of the land was forested.

>Forests covered perhaps 30 percent of Iceland's total area
>only 1.4 percent of the country is considered forest today

Iceland = niggers
>>
>>60499764
Spanish also only requires learning 26 characters compared to the 2000+ in Japanese
>>
>>60499797
>comparing estimates from 1923 to estimates from 923
>>
>>60499764
Japanese is slowly becoming a more complex language deviating from it standard phonology slowly but surely, anyways the problems with the Japanese language as it is now is not the the inherent grammar or phonology, but learning all the complex politeness rules that are structured around it. You probably couldn't flat out call someone a nice person and thank them without somehow insulting them unless you do in a very specific non intuitive way like instead of saying "You're very nice, thanks for helping" you have to say shit like "Someone like you is so great compared to the lowly person that is I, the world respects you for your efforts"
>>
>>60499406
>spoken Japanese is piss easy

I guarantee you you're not even close to being able to understand spoken Japanese.

>>60498168
>and they're full of shit. there's no such thing as a "hard" language

No, but languages are harder to learn than others.
>>
>>60499979
Japanese seem to be getting simpler.

They're directly borrowing English words instead of rebuilding them from Japanese roots. If they borrowed the word tank today they'd call it "tanku" instead of sensha.

Also fewer people are using grammatical terms for females and males, like fewer girls are using "atashi" and ending sentences in "wa."
>>
File: prosp7www[1].jpg (764 KB, 1220x2771) Image search: [Google]
prosp7www[1].jpg
764 KB, 1220x2771
>not having 12 gendered variants, 4 for female, 4 for male, 4 neutral
>tfw bazillion exceptions
>its just base cases, other shit such as to whom an item belongs to is also always different

I honestly wouldnt want to learn this shit as a foreigner.
>>
>>60498338
>all declinable nouns that are spelled with a consonant on the end are male
>all declinable nouns that are spelled with -o or -e on the end are neuter (except for the ones that end on -ишкo)
These are the only clear rules tb͏q͏h, otherwise it's pretty random.
>>
>>60498118
In russian ship is male.
>>
>>60497425
A CABRA
A CABRO
O CABRA
O CABRO
O CUBRO
A CUBRA
A CUBRO
O CUBRA
>>
>>60500482
Actually, I just remembered that the former rule does not apply to nouns ending in -č (noč, moč, poč, pomoč, peč), which are female, except if they're loanwords (such as tolmač).

Also, is there really such a thing as non-declinable nouns in Russian? Can you give me an example + translation (in the Latin script)?
>>
>>60500425
I meant mostly in the phonology that it's getting more complex, it's losing its simple Consonant-Vowel syllable system. I mean they already have the single consonant in the form of "n", but u's and i's are dropped frequently in some dialects particularly the Tokyo dialect, further loosening that simple system, allowing formulations such as "Dess" instead of "Desu"
>>
>>60500452
how do you learn it as a native is the question

I mean fuck, the average english speaker barely has a grasp on english grammar as it is. If only you could see the average highschooler's english homework.
>>
>>60500687
My citi's name is non-declinable, it is just always Domodedovo.
Metro (subway) is non-declinable
"Ya v metro"
"Rasskaji mnie o metro"
"Ya vospol'zuyus' metro" etc
Kofe is non-declinable.
So in general those are loan words or some toponyms.
>>
>>60497425

>The language is not spelled as its written

Seriously, how can you justify this? It makes learning your ridiculous language at least 12x more difficult.
>>
>>60499979
>You probably couldn't flat out call someone a nice person and thank them without somehow insulting them

I know you're exaggerating here but politeness levels aren't nearly as difficult to get used to as people think. Japanese people are extremely hard to insult if you're a foreigner. Also, by the time you know enough words to have a meaningful conversation with someone you'll be used to it anyway. Politeness levels in Korean are more difficult and the Confucianist bullshit is more more strict in Korea.

>>60500425
> If they borrowed the word tank today they'd call it "tanku" instead of sensha.

It's a very small percentage of the language. The amount of Japanese slang introduced every year outweighs the number of loanwords being used.

>Also fewer people are using grammatical terms for females and males, like fewer girls are using "atashi" and ending sentences in "wa."

That is an extremely insignificant change. You can't say that Japanese is getting simpler because of something so minor.
>>
>>60500922
I support spelling reform desu

we need more letters for all 18 vowels and dipthongs
>>
>>60500846
In russian all genders are just defined by ending of the word "-a" is female, "-o" and "-e" is neutral gender and pretty much everythijg rest is male.
>>
>>60500922
t. dcéra dedko
>>
>>60498338

soft conosant ending not femine for west slavs? Both suka and blyad` are females for eastern.
>>
I wish our language weren't so degenerate
>>
if english had gendered nouns otherkin wouldn't exist
>>
>>60500977
>That is an extremely insignificant change.
Insignificant to you. You're too dense to appreciate the nuances of language.
>You can't say that Japanese is getting simpler because of something so minor.
Yes you can. If at first there were multiple words for "watashi" but later everyone only uses "watashi" then the language simplified.
>>
File: 1340147163127.jpg (80 KB, 569x421) Image search: [Google]
1340147163127.jpg
80 KB, 569x421
>>60501601

Norwegians are degenerates no matter what language they use.
>>
>>60501709

わたし
わたくし
わし
自分
all have significant use daily
>>
>>60501429
South Slavic languages do not distinguish between consonant types, and besides, we don't even have an analogue to blyat'.
>>
>>60501927
Ok, actually we do distinguish between productive and non-productive consonants to determine where to pronounce a semivowel in a consonant cluster, but this has no bearing on declension.
>>
>>60500687
Borrowed words that doesn't end on a consonant or -a usually are undeclinable: kenguru, metro, zhele, zombi etc. Female names like Mishelj and Rybak are undeclinable too, of course.
So, "kino" will be "kino" in all the cases:
Nom. kino
Gen. dlia kino
Dat. k kino
Acc. v kino
Ins. s kinom
Pre. v kino

Also names and toponyms that end on -o and -e don't decline even if they have Slavic origin (Kovalenko, Vnukovo etc).
>>
>>60499695
tbH I always feel like the subjunctive imperfect and conditional are fucking with me
>>
File: ErnestHemingway.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1873) Image search: [Google]
ErnestHemingway.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1873
>He always thought of the sea as 'la mar' which is what people call her in Spanish when they love her. Sometimes those who love her say bad things of her but they are always said as though she were a woman. Some of the younger fishermen, those who used buoys as floats for their lines and had motorboats, bought when the shark livers had brought much money, spoke of her as 'el mar' which is masculine.They spoke of her as a contestant or a place or even an enemy. But the old man always thought of her as feminine and as something that gave or withheld great favours, and if she did wild or wicked things it was because she could not help them. The moon affects her as it does a woman, he thought.

Is he right, fampai?
>>
>>60502142
dude I don't fucking know
>>
>>60501709
>Insignificant to you. You're too dense to appreciate the nuances of language.

Are you from /a/ or something? Are you at the level of being able to read literature or are you just talking out of your ass because you just finished your first year of Japanese at university and watch anime all day?

>If at first there were multiple words for "watashi" but later everyone only uses "watashi" then the language simplified.

That's not how it is, though. Yeah, less women use atashi and wa in certain contexts is becoming more gender-neutral, but you can't say a language is becoming simpler due to such minor trends.
>>
>>60502142
no the sea is obviously neuter
>>
>>60502087
/tv/ should make Russian it's official language.
Very kino.
>>
>>60502119
Shouldn't that be easy for a French person?

I breezed through Spanish conjugation because I already spoke French, while most people who are unfamiliar with the Romance groupe struggle with it, expecially the moods.
>>
>>60501429
Suka is feminine for polish czech slovak.
We dont have blyaď
>>
>>60502087
In Slavic, the sea is neuter, a dead thing. But Slavic languages are thought to derive in places far from the sea, and along the banks of a wide, feminine river. He might just be right.
>>
>>60497425
at least you can tell when you're talking to a girl online unless they purposely hide it
>>
>>60502142
what about the difference between the sea and the ocean

The sea sounds a lot more romantic than "the ocean" which sounds really plain
>>
>>60502479
Ocean is he
Sea is it
>>
>>60502479
in Icelandic the sea (sjórinn) is masculine and the ocean (hafið) neuter
it doesn't translate exactly the same but it's close enough in this context
>>
>>60497578
things that are hard about Hebrew are:
foreign vocab
writing right to left
conjugation is a bitch
but all in all Modern Hebrew is alot more simplified than it's older counterpart because of alot of German and European influence, and the SVO order
>>
you just get used to them, it's not hard. even if you make mistakes it doesn't matter, because you're writing an essay
>>
>>60501008
>In russian all genders are just defined by ending of the word
Oh rly?
>мyжчинa, жeнщинa
>дядя, няня, вpeмя
>poль, кopoль
>>
File: 1463533482342.gif (943 KB, 950x720) Image search: [Google]
1463533482342.gif
943 KB, 950x720
>the French count in fucking 20s
>>
File: 547252272.png (151 KB, 421x500) Image search: [Google]
547252272.png
151 KB, 421x500
>the language is European
>>
>>60497425
Dude, the bottle of water is feminine. What's so hard to understand?
>>
>>60497425
Your language has gender pronouns. Finnish is so much easier. :^)
>>
>>60502119
doesn't french have the subjunctive?
>>
Its stupid but you get used to it and honestly, it doesnt matter much if you mistake genders here and there, even I get mistakes in Hebrew genders sometimes. These things have no logic to them so its ok to make mistakes in that field
>>
File: 9=0.jpg (42 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
9=0.jpg
42 KB, 454x453
>Spics say they have x years instead of saying how old they are
>>
>>60504148
It does, it's used slightly less than spanish but the construction is a bit more complex for 3rd group verbs.

That being said the Spanish does have an extra sub-group (future subjunctive) which the french doesn't, they just use regular persent subjunctive to express the future. Also the French imperfect subjunctive is all but dead in modern use, while it's still widely used in Spanish.
>>
>>60502590
אני אהב עברית. העברית טוב
>>
>>60504148
it's hardly use. Especially because outside of the present subjontive, all the other tenses of this mood are considered archaic and though it's proper grammar it's never used.
>>
>>60502590
thanks la

>conjugation

Yeah, this is what I was fearing. Conjugation in Semitic languages is fucked up.
>>
>>60503338
Ei ole.
>>
>>60497454
I wouldn't say easy. It can be learned and remembered, but it's quite pointless. There's no justification for a little girl being neutral, the sun being a she and the moon being a he. It's simply illogical, especially when applied to inanimate objects.
>>
>>60506338
Just memorize the gender with the word. Why does it have to make sense?
>>
I get the feeling word gender exists purely to ID foreigners and to facilitate subtle insults
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.