[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which language is the most difficult to learn or the most intellectually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: 1461588263537.jpg (78 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1461588263537.jpg
78 KB, 499x499
Which language is the most difficult to learn or the most intellectually complex?
>>
>>60425808
Russian
>>
>>60425808
Malborge.
>>
English
>>
Idk as a westerner probably something tonal like mandarin, and that's just spoken, good luck trying to learn the entire written system
>>
>>60425808
>difficult
Chinese

>complex
Hungarian?
>>
>>60425808
chinese

ancient herbrev
>>
File: 1436515812407c6ef7476.png (2 KB, 598x180) Image search: [Google]
1436515812407c6ef7476.png
2 KB, 598x180
>>60426207
>>
>>60425808
you know that one language from the canary islands that's all whistling?
>>
Mandarin, Arabic, Japanese and Korean are all considered the hardest "main" languages for English speakers to learn

main languages being the top 50 or so most used
>>
Japanese is supposed to be the hardest for native english speakers, followed by Korean, Chinese, and Arabic.

Chinese, grammatically, is actually (relatively) close to English compared to the others and as a language itself, its grammar is stupid simple. Its "gotcha" is the hanzi and tones.

Japanese is... well, I've spent a year and a half learning it and I can only kinda read stuff. I'll get into more detail if people want it.

Korean I haven't looked very far into but I know it has a VERY complex system of honorifics and registers that's supposed to be it's "gotcha".
>>
I'm pretty sure Finnish is
>>
>>60426671
>"gotcha"
Its "catch" you dip
>>
>>60425808
polish, czech I think. or hungarian.
>>
>>60427578
>t. non native english speaker
>>
Australian
>>
>>60427596
nice flag
>>
>>60427747
thanks
>>
>>60427762
I wasnt talking to you amerilard
>>
>>60427772
I know
>>
>>60427795
Don't you ever fucking respond to me again, kid.
>>
>>60427815
ok
>>
>>60427827
What did I just say
>>
>>60427747
thanks m8
>>
>>60427836
"What did I just say"
>>
Finnish
>>
>>60427852
What did I just say
Shouldn't you be on reddit, kid?...
>>
Catalan
>>
>>60427596
A slav can understand them apparthly without any studies. But they have a different accent.
>>
>>60427890
me too thanks
>>
>>60427935
yeah, the difficulty of learning a language could be pretty diverse, it's only about the learner's language. slavs can learn each other's languages easily but for a foreigner, like a hungarian, it's near impossible
>>
>>60425808
French is quite hard but i don't think it is the hardest

Also >>60428036 i guess
>>
>>60428036
>implying
I learned two Slavic languages and I'm not a Slav.

t. immigrant
>>
>>60425808
> Difficult
Probably Japanese, or some Chinese language. Chinese tones are such a goddamn bitch, but the grammar is much simpler than Japanese grammar, and the characters generally only have one pronunciation/ reading. I would want to learn Mandarin, but the 4 tones crush my motivation, sadly.

> Most intellectually complex
I'd say Japanese (but I'm not a linguist).

>>60426671
Nice work with the Japanese, dude.

>>60427578
You just made yourself the "dip".
>>
Icelandic and DAnish
>>
>>60427840
This ain't working, I'm leaving you mate.
>>
>>60427863
>>60426779
>Älä rääkkää kääkkää
<Emmä rääkkääkkään kääkkää
>>
japanese is pretty fucking complicated

maybe like ancient babylonian or some shit
>>
>>60425808
arabic
>>
For a native speaker, the most difficult ones are:

1. Japanese
2. Korean/Mandarin/Arabic

Of course these are just the relevant languages we're looking at. Some American government institute did a study and they came to this conclusion.
>>
In order to read Japanese news paper, you have to memorize 50 hiraganas, 50 katakanas, and more than 1500 kanjis.
It's easy to study Japanese grammar, but it's quite difficult to read Japanese sentences.
Foreigners who can speak Japanese, but cannot read japanese aren't looked on as a member of Japanese society if they live in Japan.
>>
>>60426182
Czech is harder than Russian and Slovak might be harder, but I don't know any Slovak
>>
>>60428287
Tell us more. Where did you emmigrate from and which languages do you currently know well/decent?
>>
>>60426250

Manadarin isnt that difficult its just time consuming. There is no short cut when learning hanzi.
>>
Probably Georgian or any of the Caucuses languages
>>
>>60425808
According to stupid fucking Japs apparently English is entirely impossible.
>>
>>60439504
こんにちは
>>
In Europe, Lithuanian, maybe even on the whole planet.
>>
>>60440259
It's not that hard m8. Drunk foreigners that stayed here for a week already speak it fluently. I saw it on Farai.

Chinese/Japanese is harder because moonrune bullshit.
>>
>>60434508
>It's easy to study Japanese grammar
fuck no
>>
>>60440433
nah
>>
>>60425808
Russian
>>
Click click
click click click
CLICK
clickclickclickclickclickclick
Clack click
clickclickCLICKclickclackclack
clickclick?
CLICK!
CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK!
>>
File: Tokyo.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1362
Chinese is really not that bad. The grammar is in fact more simple than English and hanzi are easy, they just take a while to learn. The tones are the only intrinsically difficult thing about the language.

Japanese is actually a pretty logical and straightforward language. The grammar may be backwards compared to English but it makes a lot of sense when you get used to it. Again, like Chinese, kanji aren't difficult, they just take time. This language literally has the EASIEST pronunciation and spelling out of any language.

Not much to be said about Korean. It's just Japanese but easymode. Spelling words is tricky sometimes because there are many similar sounds.

I'm commenting on these 3 because many people mention them but they have no idea what they're talking about. I don't feel that these languages are difficult and I have spent time learning them.

I personally think Finnish is definitely one of the hardest. That is, in terms of 'intellectual complexity' as OP asked.
>>
>>60442378
>Chinese is really not that bad. The grammar is in fact more simple than English and hanzi are easy, they just take a while to learn. The tones are the only intrinsically difficult thing about the language.
So much this. Grammar is super easy and speaking isn't that hard either. The most difficult part is writing, especially traditional characters. But chinese isn't really hard, it just takes time because of the characters.
>>
>>60442378
>>60443064
What is actually so difficult about the tones? I'm thinking about starting to learn Mandarin and I looked up the tone-stuff and it didn't see to be that complicated but everyone who learns Mandarin tells me it's the hardest thing ever.
>>
>>60425808
For the most intelectually complex the answer is definitely ancient languages.
>>
Vietnamese or catalan
Pajeetspeak is also pretty difficult because of how compiled and contextual it is
>>
Irish, because you'll have to learn about it from Irish people and all Irish people are fucking retards.
>>
Ancient Greek
>>
>>60442378

People look at FSI's class hours to learn X and take it as difficulty.
>>
protosemitic
>>
C#
>>
>>60427917

This. The true Romance language of the Goths.
>>
>>60437256
So, in your opinion, the variety of different endings in Czech makes more problems than the mobile stress in Russian?
>>
>>60448439
Not only that, there are a lot more sound changes in czech making hard to determine what gender and which declention it is. Moje is both neuter and feminine. Učitel has a soft declination (učitele in genitive) despite both Ls being pronounced the same. Same goes for s, z, v, b. I've probably missed some. The pronouns are also more rich in forms. Also the Russian stress can be compared to the Czech long and short vowels
>>
>>60449349
>Moje is both neuter and feminin
And ['naʂə] can be neuter, feminine and plural. The context usually solves such problems ;)
Written Russian is really more logical though.
>the Russian stress can be compared to the Czech long and short vowels
You mean, the root of a word can can have a long vowel in one form and a short one in another?
>>
>>60425808
spanish
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.