[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello Friends and Comrades, I have question to ask purely out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1
File: Tennessee_flag.png (24 KB, 826x497) Image search: [Google]
Tennessee_flag.png
24 KB, 826x497
Hello Friends and Comrades,

I have question to ask purely out of curiosity... Does everyone have religious (christian here but may be muslim or w/e) prayer at the beginning of school followed with a pledge of allegiance of some sort and the national anthem of your country? We did that from preschool all the way to after highschool and I was wondering if that was normal...

We weren't allowed to talk during prayer or not say the pledge. I went to a public high school, not private or especially religious or anything.
>>
In my school, we had to say a prayer before each game and each game there would be a different teammate who would lead the prayer, our team was %90 atheists (so am i), kek, but it is tradition, and i would hate to see it die.
>>
Not a chance they'd be able to get away with public prayer as a part of school. I was friends with a lot of devout Christian kids and I'm sure they would have even been uncomfortable with it. Still said the pledge though. I'm pretty sure every school in America does. Can we stop with that already?

From Upstate New York, for what it's worth.
>>
>>60421028
Well duh we did that for every sport. I'm sure everyone does that. I was just wondering about other countries. Like do the Brits say a pledge of allegiance of sorts and listen to their national anthem?

>>60421043
We did public prayer... Well... We also had a confederate cavalry man as our mascot, played cavalry music between class change, and when our school was starting out we had a band that dressed in the confed grey and played Dixie at half time. Weird cuz that school was mostly minorities..
>>
Pledge of allegiance is normal for every American school
>>
>>60421210
I want to know about non-American schools though
>>
>>60421207
>Everyone does that

No, many schools ban school led prayer
>>
>>60420924
No that sounds autistic as fuck
>>
I went to a Catholic primary school and they'd have short prayers at the beginning of classes sometimes, probably more for the teacher's benefit as a way of getting the class to order before announcing the day's business and starting lessons.
>>
>>60421233
Really? Huh....

>>60421245
Buddy I remember a girl in 8th grade asked a British foreign exchange student if England had roads. But you don't even like... Listen to your anthem? We literally pledged our life to the president at the age of 5.
>>
>>60421306
>We literally pledged our life to the president at the age of 5.
Sounds pretty North Korea tier to me
>>
>>60421306
Yea, luckily many Americans where I live still respect tradition and culture, but many schools across the country try ban school led prayer (even my old school system did) but it just matters if the teachers care enough to report it.
>>
>>60420924
No, we have more subtle ways of indoctrinating our children.
>>
The pledge, of course, but never a prayer (Minnesota). If those wackos even read the bible, or at least didn't cherry-pick, they would be against prayer in schools.

NIV
Matthew 6:5 & 6:6
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

It's like that in every translation I could find, and nothing's "out of context" like a lot of religious people like to claim. So any true Christian is against prayer in schools.

The pledge is dumb as fuck too.
>>
>>60421347
George Bush was a great guy I'd die for him.

>>60421352
Yeah like they are trying to ban our Confederate mascot. Fucking ridiculous. I think he may have been KKK and our school is half minority, but still like it is our heritage. And the confederate music we play at class change is our heritage too.

>>60421393
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all.. I don't give a shit if we should or shouldn't have it, I was juss curious. We prayed before everything, baseball, wrestling, football, school, and many-a-times after too.
>>
>>60421227
non-american schools most likely do not pledge allegiance to the american flag
>>
>>60421566
They should...

Jokes aside do they have like a version of it or something? Like, and this may sound stupid, but do the Brits like pledge loyalty to the Queen or something? Anyting resembling the Pledge and the Nat. Anthem.
>>
we said prayers before every class in primary school (we had to learn how to lead the prayer and got smacked by the teacher if we messed up ... fucking insane when I think about it now, but yeah, that was how it was.

likewise in secondary, but they were more focused on actual practical learning by then. we still stood up upon their entry, but most couldn;t be arsed praying and just got on with the lessons
>>
>>60421497
Wasn't addressing you, just a general rant.
>>
I never said a prayer but we did pledge allegiance
>>
>>60420924
They made us pray at the beginning and end of the school day. It created a lot of edgelords, with good reason imho.
>>
>>60421629
yeah we have something kinda like it here

"i pledge allegiance to nothing"
>>
>>60421688
>>60421651
But did you sing the Irish anthem?
>>
>>60421714
No, that's for football games and the end of weddings.
>>
Public prayer no but I'm another northerner. Pledge of Allegiance was kinda weird for my school district though.

Elementary School: Required, first thing in the morning over the PA system, every damn day
Middle School: Depends entirely on who your first period teacher is. Might never do it, might always do it, might only do it on certain days
High School: 2nd period, only on Fridays during our "Video Announcements", completely optional.
>>
>>60421782
> end of weddings

What? First off why and how exactly does that work.
>>
>>60421798
Same, we only did it once a week in high school, and we didn't have to. I remained sitting a lot, both out of contempt for it and laziness.
>>
>>60421880
You guys like... DIdn't do it every day? Seriously? And you got to sit? We got in trouble if we didn't do it. The South is a fucking meme
>>
>>60421858
When the reception is over the DJ plays the national anthem and everyone drunkingly gets up and sings along.

They used to do this in nightclubs too but that's fallen out of fashion in recent years.

It's our way of saying "The party is over. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here. Remember to love Ireland".
>>
>>60420924
Wait. Mandatory prayer in a public school? Holy shit. You can literally report them for that.
>>
>>60421941
>>60421858
Realized I didn't answer why we do this.

We do this because:

1: People like it.

2: It's incredibly hard to get 100 or so drunk Irish people to do anything, this serves to stand people up and drills into their heads that the party is over.
>>
Yes, seeing as I'm from your shitty as state.
>>
>>60422032
What prayer do you do? We did Our Father, the spookiest prayer imho.
>>
>>60422032
Tenn-ass-eee Buddies!!

>>60421957
Why? Nah dude.. Not here. And they talk about praying for kids and shit. Just shut up and do it.
>>
>>60422006

Shit we could use a tradition like that here. Wedding receptions here can go on anywhere from a few hours to all fucking night and it's rude to leave without a "proper excuse"
>>
>>60422105
Whatever the speaker felt like rambling about that day Amen.
>>
>>60421629
No m8, the pledge is a USA meme. For us it was:

National anthem weekly at school assemblies
No prayers at government schools. Religious schools incorporate prayer to varying degrees - mine had the lord's prayer at weekly assemblies and two chapel services a year. I suspect the religious aspect was more a means of obtaining funding from the church than anything else. One time at an inter-school sports carnival a teacher from another school gathered everyone together to say a prayer at the start of the day, we thought that was pretty weird.
>>
>>60422112
>Why?
Its illegal for a public school to have prayer unless its purely a student thing.
>>
>>60422194
Yeah no they must be under the radar then. Idgaf cuz I don't go there, but I know for fuck certain that a lot of our christian clubs don't pass the Lemon Test
>>
>>60422112
>>60422032
TENNESSEE FUCK YEAH
>>
>>60422105
It was general prayer, I believe they called it a moment of silence.
They would ring the bell do announcements and the principle would say, now a moment of silence. And that was for prayer. Of course my school was full of DIVERSITY, so you had those who hate it, and eventually they had their own time of prayers for Islam.
>>60422194
Did not stop my school. This was 5 years ago. Then again, I am in one of the most far right states in the US.
>>60422112
You have to put the strong accent on the ass part to make people butthurt.
>>
>>60422369
WHy is our state so wonderful?
>>
>>60422619
Because it is not the surrounding states.
>>
>>60422648
Literally fuck Kentucky. Fuck Georgia real hard man... FLorida is nice though. Why do people shit on it so?
>>
>>60420924
All students from kindergarden to highschool make a formation and recite the national hymn and/or a patriotic march. No religious chant or pledging.

It's a tradition that comes from 1890s when we had to assimilate millions of second gen immigrants, we sent them all to schools so they would learn the language and assimilate faster
>>
A lot of times me and a few buddies would say a prayer before penis inspection day. I guess it worked. Lol
>>
>>60422675
Memes.
>>
the only religious thing in my school was a weekly visit from the local orthodox priest, who would tell a story or something over the PA system every monday morning. I don't think anyone ever listened to his 10 minutes.

I don't remember if we ever sung the national anthem in school.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.