[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages to Learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: IndoEuropean.png (77 KB, 308x605) Image search: [Google]
IndoEuropean.png
77 KB, 308x605
I know English and Russian. I am physics student who is hoping to have career in the sciences.

What languages should I try to learn? And why?
>>
>>60371685
Why not learn random Slavic languages like Polish and Bulgarian? Shouldn't be too bad and would probably be pretty helpful in employment?

But I guess, in science career, it would be most helpful to also learn German? Maybe some other anon can chime in and help with that
>>
learning even a second language for science is utterly fucking useless. english is the standard science language; everyone publishes in english and everyone has to learn it.

also, what's so different about albanian?
>>
>>60371685
Learn German, so then you're like Putin
>>
>>60371685
>physics student who is hoping to have career in the sciences
Learn german.
http://www.vistawide.com/german/why_german3.htm
>German speakers' strong contributions in such a broad array of fields makes the language an important asset in many disciplines. At the University of California, for instance, more majors recommend a knowledge of German as an important supplement than any other language (German: 56 majors, French: 43 majors, Spanish: 21 majors, Japanese: 7 majors). These majors include a wide range of subjects -- from biology, physics, and chemistry to linguistics, religious studies, and art history.
>Considering the importance of the German language in the fields of publishing and research, it's not surprising that many graduate schools want their graduates to have at least a reading knowledge of German. Knowing German gives graduates access to important research published in German books and professional journals.
>>
>>60372160
Hmm interesting, thank you. It looks like it makes sense. But isn't there different type of German, like Austrian German? Is it as bad as in Chinese?

I want to by end of my life know 5-6 languages for personal reasons. Any other ones I should know or recommend learning? I genuinely enjoy learning them
>>
>>60372475
I'm not interested in German, but as far as I know actual German and the Austrian variation are as different as EU-English and American English. You may want to confirm in their general anyways.
> Any other ones I should know or recommend learning?
I know 3 languages and see them from a very practical POV. I use them for work and I think they should always serve a purpose. Applying this logic, I recommend simply following the list on my previous post.
>>
>>60372475
Austrian German is just a dialect of German with regional differences. Germans and Austrians understand each other. Swiss German can be more difficult since some of the regions' dialects were isolated for a while. Only "high German" from germany can be learned in school anyways.
>>
>>60372793
can you understand all the nordic languages
>>
>>60371914
This. I've got a Physics master's degree and most PhD/job offers - even those from a french lab for french students - are in english. All the articles are in english. Each student is required to know english.
Since we are special snowflakes, our government requires us to write our PhD in French (muh language preservation), but everything else is in english.

Basically you'd be fine knowing only english.
>>
>>60372475
Hungarian seems like a pretty based language to learn
>>
>>60372475
>English
>French
>Russian
>German
>Czech
>Polish

You would be a polyglot that /int/ bows down to if you knew those
>>
>>60373626
>Czech
Why would you learn such an irrelevant language? I mean I guess if you want to read Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera in Czech you would, but really what autism went through your head to post that?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.