[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning Russian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: DonetskPeopleRepublic.jpg (62 KB, 668x477) Image search: [Google]
DonetskPeopleRepublic.jpg
62 KB, 668x477
Hey /int/

I really want to learn Russian, and I have checked the Wiki but I found it to be a little underwhelming especially in textbooks.

So, may someone please advise me on resources, specifically textbooks to use, and other important tips?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>60370693
don't bother you'll suck at it immensely

Learn an easier language for native English speakers, just protip breh.

I'm Russian diaspora and i speak it with no accent since I learned it as a kid and I STILL suck compared to native speakers
>>
>>60370847
I am from Russian family actually lol

I am not completely foreign to it, I am just not very advance, so kind of similar to your situation?

My mom didn't want to teach it to me when I was young because she wanted to make sure I was as American as possible

She realized she made mistake with not teaching me right away when I was little

Anyways, I would like to really become fluent in Russian
>>
>>60370931
It's gonna be hard bro

Your best bet would be just learning the alphabet then going from childrens' books to adult books.

I'm literally the best in russian from any diaspora over 5+ years that I've seen here in Canada, and I STILL pale quite hard when speaking with native speakers who live there. Some of the slang and more formal language is quite hard to get a hold of unless you use it regularly in conversation.
>>
>>60370693

Slavyanoserbian republic the best republic!
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_alphabet
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Russian
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_orthography
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_phonology
1. Alphabet, spelling and phonology (i.e. letter-to-sound correspondences).

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_grammar
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_declension
2. Morphology (i.e. how smaller units like roots and suffixes combine to form words; the different noun and verb forms).

3. Work your way through beginners' textbooks.

4. Learn five new words every day (used in sentences) and their different forms.

5. Ask questions at WordReference Forums and /r/russian.

6. All the while, listen to Russian-language music and speak with natives (in person, online).
>>
>>60370693

That flag look evil af...
>>
And don't make it a chore. Your focus should be on learning to communicate in Russian.
>>
>>60371241
Thanks! Which textbook would you recommend?
>>
>>60371576
It doesn't really matter because using textbooks for language learning is generally ineffective. They're only of value to people just starting out who are unfamiliar with--or only tacitly familiar with--linguistic concepts (e.g. aspect, tense, mood, grammatical person, cases, etc.). What works for me is to learn about the structure of a language and build on that.
>>
>>60370847
I know how you feel m8. DESU just keep maintaining your language. Force yourself to use it every day. Eventually it won't need to be forced. See a long paragraph in Russian? Read all that shit. Have something to talk about with your family? Don't use any English.
>>
>>60371950
I do use it every day. For 20 years man.

I have spoken it my entire life every single day, I'm *STILL* bad compared to native speakers living in Russia.

Just trust, you're not going to able technical/formal/slang language very well.
>>
>>60370931
One of the worst mistakes for parents to make. All the cases I've seen in real life of parents cutting their children off from their own family's culture have ended badly. Parents don't realize that they by cutting the kid off from their culture, they're basically cutting them off from the family. In extreme cases, the kid grows up to be socially awkward and suck at forming relationships. Your mom fucked up badly, but she deserves a little credit for admitting her mistake.
>>
>>60370693
1) learn alphabet
2) learn how to read """translit"""
3) go to general /rus/ and crazy rouble, use dictionary, feel free to write shit and we will fix it
>>
>>60372024
I know, it's not easy. I think I actually damaged my social life trying so hard to keep up with my family's culture. I don't regret it though.
>>
>>60372025
Strangely, I never lost contact with Russian culture. In fact, I have come to know more about Russian history and all that more than her and many other Russians. I suppose it was my way of fulfilling that gap. I am still very close with my family, especially my uncle.

It just has always bugged me that I don't know language very well, when I should. I hope to learn it well enough so then I can make sure my future children know it too.

>>60372106
I got the first two checked off at least. I will make sure to appear there. Cпacибo
>>
Sayuz nelshimy
>>
>>60372333
Most of what you say applies to me too. I've always been more interested in history than others. Sometimes I just pass time on Wikipedia. I can't really say I've been close to my family though, though I wish I was closer. There isn't much I can do since my only family in this country are my parents.

I personally don't plan to have kids, because I don't think I have the relationship skills for it. If I did, I would definitely teach them my language though. If you stay in America to have kids, I think it will be kind of hard to pass on your language. Then again, most people don't even bother to try passing it on to the third generation. It will definitely be significantly easier if your wife speaks Russian too. It's definitely doable and would be cool if you go through with it.
>>
ROSSIYA SILNAYA

t. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKa_JrULT8
>>
>>60372744
Damn anon, similar situation with family in USA. I only have mother and younger sibling, father passed away when I was young. I just talk a lot with my family in Russia, mainly my uncle, through Skype

Seems like we have similar pasts like that
>>
> years of learning russian
> got shot in first raid
>>
How many Russians know how to write in Russian using a Latin alphabet?
>>
>>60373624
There is no officially accepted way to write Russian in the Latin alphabet. It's just improvised. If you know Russian and the Latin alphabet, you can write Russian in the Latin alphabet. The thing is, no matter how you do it, you will always piss someone off, because there is no accepted way to do it.
>>
>>60373644
This is correct.
>>
File: 2015-10-14_14-51-48.jpg (64 KB, 734x400) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-14_14-51-48.jpg
64 KB, 734x400
cдoхни пиндoc)))))))))))))
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.