[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't they invented a device yet that everyone can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: download (42).png (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (42).png
13 KB, 259x194
Why haven't they invented a device yet that everyone can put in their ear and understand each others languages? Say I'm in Japan but don't know the language when they speak Japanese I hear a voice in my ear that tells me everything they said but in English and when I speak English they hear a voice that tells them everything I said but in Japanese this could be implanted in everyone making learning different languages completely obsolete.
>>
>>60142044
The UN uses something similar for conferences and summit meetings but it's translated in real time by some faggot who knows 15 languages
>>
The only limitation is battery tech. Microsoft has already made a realtime translation program but it's rather computationally intensive.
>>
>>60142044
Is this a retarded questions thread?

Google Translate can't even give a meaningful translation of something longer than a sentence at best, what you're speaking about is outright from sci-fi.
>>
>>60142115
>who knows 15 languages
I bet you don't speak any language but English otherwise you wouldn't come up with such a stupid notion.
>>
>>60142178
I was just kidding, they use multiple translators to represent each language. There are people who are capable of learning 15 or even more, they're called polyglots in English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyglotism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Krebs

This fucker knew 68
>>
>>60142239
Define "knew". It doesn't say or demonstrate the proficiency level for any of the listed languages, besides some vague description.
> they're called polyglots in English.
:^)
>>
>>60142368
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Krebs#Legacy

You'd have to look at the Library of Congress archives to get any in depth information. I don't understand why you're so dubious of people being able to learn more than several languages though, it's especially common in Africa due to ethno-linguistic divides
>>
>>60142449
I speak English and French beside my native Russian, and also I learn Arabic. I don't doubt in any way the existence of natural or self-taught polyglots speaking multiple languages, but dozens stink of bullshit. It requires incredible time, efforts, resources after all to master that amount of languages.
>>
>>60142449
Just look at that:
>Egyptian" (possibly Coptic)
>"Afghan" (Pashto or Dari)
It's total bullshit. You can't just say "possibly" or "or": Afghan Persian and Pashto, Egyptian Arabic and Coptic are related, but very different languages.

It's the same as if one would say "he spoke Swiss (French or Italian)". If you can't even decide what language he spoke, that means there's no written evidence of his language skill, and this list is just some unproven report.
>>
>>60142539
Some people are just born with innate language skills, usually because they grow up in a multilingual environment. Dozens of languages would require a lifetime of work but if we take Krebs as an example, he was a diplomat who found work as a translator which provided him the perfect setting for increasing his linguistic knowledge.

>>60142633
The quotes are to show that a different term is used these days. Muslims used to be called Mohammedans for example, Syrian could refer to Aramaic. I don't know enough about the man to give you an essay on him but I'm sure if you did a bit of research you could come to your own informed conclusion
>>
>>60142539
>I speak English and French beside my native Russian
Prouve-le s'il te plait
>>
>>60142044
>>60142115
>>60142139
Are you retarded
Such devices are absolutely impossible to design and manufacture
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.