[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask an Esperantist anything!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Esperanto.svg[1].png (22 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Esperanto.svg[1].png
22 KB, 2000x1333
Ask an Esperantist anything!
>>
Do you like football?
>>
>>60086390
Eh, personally I don't care that much for sports.
>>
Why do you learn Esperanto?
>>
>>60086412
So you don't exercise?

It's bad for your health anon.
>>
>>60086611
I walk a lot of places and whatnot, but I'm not very good at sports, and watching sports doesn't really interest me at all either.
>>
>>60086551
I guess because I heard about it and it seemed like a good idea, for international communication and whatnot. I was also functionally monolingual at the time, and so I guess it was sort of an introduction to learning languages for me.
>>
>>60086710
Sounds interesting. Do you take classes or do you study on Internet?
>>
>>60086859
I've never taken a class. I began learning by reading a book, Teach Yourself Esperanto, and then after that I continued practicing by reading and writing things on the Internet, and also going to my local Esperanto group's meetings.
>>
>>60086940
Well, actually, correction, I shouldn't say I've never taken a class, I went once to an Esperanto course being held at a university over the summer, but I already more or less spoke Esperanto at that point and the classes were all in Esperanto.
>>
you couldve learned spanish
>>
you shouldve learned spanish
>>
>>60086324
More like Esperautist
>>
>>60086978
>>60086940

Interesa rakonto, dankon por respondi ! saluton !
>>
>>60087081
This, got em.
>>
>>60087010
>>60087055
I actually do know basic Spanish. I'm not fluent to quite the same level, but I can pretty much communicate without much difficulty. (I'm actually studying a good few languages on and off.)
>>
>>60087081
>>60087169
That's not even a very good pun.
>>
>>60087098
Ho, ĉu vi ankaŭ estas Esperantisto? Saluton, samideano!
>>
>>60086324
VOLAPUK STRONK
>>
>>60088572
And Volapukists - 0.
>>
>fake language
May as well learn elvish or klingon or dothraki
Why not just learn French or some other actual language
>>
>>60088769
>french
>real
>>
>>60088769
It's not on the level of French, but it's above Klingon or Elvishー believe it or not, Esperanto actually has about a thousand native speakers, and around a million more non-native. There's also something called Pasporta Servo where Esperantists around the world host each other.
>>
Diru al mi pri Bane. Kial li surportas la maskon?

>>60088572
Spikol-li volapüki, Fransän?
>>
>>60088832
Pretentious sounding to the average Anglophone, sure. But it's spoken by millions of French people, and millions more in Quebec and other places. How is that not real?
>>
>>60088868
Sankta fek', vi efektive parolas Volapukon?
>>
>>60089545
Fek ne haha, mi scipovas konstrui nur simplajn frazojn per vortaro.
>>
>>60090148
Ĉu vi supozas, ke iu ajn efektive parolas Volapukon?
>>
>>60086324
do you believe in borders
>>
>>60090217
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'borders'. If you're asking if I think people should have the right to freely come and go into and out of a country, I would say yes, unless there's some good reason to believe they intend to commit violence there.
>>
>>60090202
Mi supozas ke jes. Laŭ wikipedia almenaŭ dudek personoj parolas ĝin. Mi kredas ke ĝiaj parolantoj ne aktive afiŝas ĉe la interreto.
>>
>>60090406
Se mi memoras ĝuste, ĉu Eterne Rima ne faris videoblogeron en kiu li parolas Volapukon? Kaj ankaŭ almenaŭ unu kanton Volapuke?
>>
>>60090443
Vi ja memoras ĝuste. Mi ne konas la volapukan kanton, tamen mi rigardis liajn volapukajn filmetojn. Mi pensis ke li nur legis volapukan tekston. Mi ne certas ĉu li fakte parolas volapukon (almenaŭ flue, mi suspektas ke li konas iom da ĝia gramatiko).
>>
>>60086324
Is Esperanto practical as an international language, or will English do the trick for now?
>>
>>60086324
toki! sina pilin seme?
>>
How does it feel like to be useless?
>>
Mi ne parolas esperanton :DD

All I can say in it kek, might learn it for memeing one day but I care not for the political aspect, fuck esperantism.
>>
>>60092288
Well, it depends on what you mean by "do the trick". The issue with English is that it takes a lot more time and effort to learn well because of things like large amounts of unnecessary synonyms, irregular verbs, inconsistent spellings, etc. whereas Esperanto is a lot quicker and easier to learn; you can speak it to the point of practical communication with perhaps a couple months' learning.
>>
>>60092721
Wouldn't you know better than me?
>>
>>60088869
Frenchman here. I can confirm, the French language is a hoax like the 9/11, it has not been spoken since the 17th century IRL. Sorry if you fell for François Hollande's propaganda.

We usually speak English along with widespread languages like Corsican, Occitan... but we pretend we don't understand English by making up a faggy language ("oui ? voulez-vous coucher avec ma grenouille ?") to bully the American tourists who come here to see the Eiffel tower (a hoax too, it is a replica, the real one is in Vegas), gib back Louisiana and we'll stop pretending.
>>
>>60094103
Why the hell do you make whole movies in a made-up language? I've seen a couple! Seems like awfully great lengths to go for a hoax.
>>
>>60094150
Maybe these movies were shot in the 17th century or something? What were those movies?
>>
>>60094235
Well, one of them had an actor in it who I'm pretty sure lived more recently than the 17th century.
>>
>>60086324
faggot
>>
>>60094364
That's not a question. Unless there's an implicit question mark and you're asking if I'm gay. In which case no.
>>
File: 2016-05-30-08-21-18-292221688.jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-30-08-21-18-292221688.jpg
6 KB, 183x275
>>60094257
Be wary, France is a strange land full of soul-boggling mysteries... Trust no one... We are the Area 51 of Europe :(
>>
>>60094493
If you're the Area 51 of Europe, where's the Bermuda Triangle of Europe? And who is the Bigfoot of Europe?
>>
>>60086324
Can you vocaroo something in Espernato?

Try 'Canada is a shithole with a leaf on their flag. Australians are the best posters on /int/' in Espernato
>>
>>60094586
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0EIQ5lTQujJ
>>
File: responsible_int_contributer.png (31 KB, 321x309) Image search: [Google]
responsible_int_contributer.png
31 KB, 321x309
>>60094663
Cheers
>>
>>60094690
Funny thing is, I'm actually half Australian myselfー my mom's Australian. She doesn't use 4chan as far as I know, though.
>>
>>60094703
Has she taught you any slang?
>>
>>60094546
>Bermuda triangle of Europe
We only have the usual triangles here: equilateral, isosceles and scale. Sorry. Bermuda triangles are an American novelty that's not rated at all in European maths.

>Bigfoot of Europe
The genuine Finnish Spurdo :DDD
>>
I need advice lads

Should I learn Norwegian or German. I started learning German many years back and got almost conversation-able but I stopped half a year back as the language progressively got harder.

Norwegian is supposed to be an easier language to learn, but both are useless but I really wanna learn one of them

which 1
>>
>>60086324
rate this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrIOzTG-cc
>>
>>60094735
She only lived in Australia until she was 5, that was when they emigrated.
>>
>>60094878
I've heard that; I think it's quite beautiful.
>>
>>60088844
French isn't hard at basic level, just stick with present tense and simple sentences
>>
>>60092336
> toki pona e pona
>>
>>60095579
You mean "toki pona li pona". "toki pona e pona" would mean "words improve goodness or something like that.
>>
>>60095579
Actually, come to think of it, "toki pona e pona" has no indication of where the subject ends and where the predicate begins, and so no verb, so I think it may be ungrammatical. Wow, you've managed to produced an ungrammatical sentence in Toki Pona!
>>
File: 7xmc9ki.gif (499 KB, 500x256) Image search: [Google]
7xmc9ki.gif
499 KB, 500x256
>>60095696
>g*rl
>>
>>60095782
What did the thing that was deleted say, approximately?
>>
>>60095859
It was this: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WjujbP7DNH
>>
>>60095870
Is it just me or does that voice sound vaguely familiar from somewhere?
>>
>>60086324
I heard that Esperanto tends to be localized, since there is no general, strict rules for word usage

Is that true?
>>
>>60095966
There are totally rules, though; the Fundamento defines what is correct usage, and other sources like the PIV that are accepted as fairly definitive. Certainly many Esperantists are somewhat influenced by their native language in terms of style and grammar, but the influence is lesser for those who really know the language well. In general, I find that with an experienced Esperantist, it's not always even easy to guess their native language right away. For example, I read Monato, and the contributors from everywhere from Belgium to China write in something that, though in different styles, is obviously the same language.
>>
>>60086324

Yeah I guess I'd look to something like this too if I came from a country that has no language of it's own
>>
>>60096623
It may not have a separate language, but English, and, really, American English in particular is used widely internationally, so if anything, I'm one of the people who stands to benefit least from Esperanto.
>>
>>60096694

we do speak hiberno english here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English#Grammar_and_syntax
>>
>>60096758
True, plus also Gaelic. So the bit about a country with no language of its own isn't really applicable to Ireland, which I suppose is why you said "if I came from".
>>
>>60086324
Do you love Poland?
>>
>>60095273
does she have a qt accent
>>
>>60097088
Fairly indifferent, honestly. I prefer to have opinions about individual people rather than whole countries anyway.
>>
>>60097188
Actually, she more or less speaks in General American.
>>
Are you fluent?
How many words do you know?
>>
Anyone who learns this language should be killed. under autism control laws.
>>
>>60098888
>How many words do you know?
most retarded question ever asked
>>
>>60099566
wtf why?
>>
>>60100458
how many english words do you know? :D
>>
>>60100659
http://testyourvocab.com/
>>
File: ithkflag.png (41 KB, 1620x896) Image search: [Google]
ithkflag.png
41 KB, 1620x896
>>60086324
How does it feel learning an inferior language :^)

Kff, in-n ti êšlapal esperanto
>>
>>60094103
>voulez-vous coucher avec ma grenouille ?
fucking hot
>>
>>60094103
>voulez-vous coucher avec ma grenouille ?

French are frog fuckers comfirmed
>>
esperanto looks like lithuanian
i guess that's because they are both meme languages
>>
>>60088844
>Esperanto actually has about a thousand native speakers, and around a million more non-native
And all of them are either insufferable or autistic.
>>
>>60105581
Just like Australians.
>>
>>60106546
pidorashka please
>>
>>60086324
Do you plan on learning any other languages in the future?
>>
>>60098888
I'm not sure; the concept of "words" doesn't map exactly, a better measure would be "radikoj" (the j is pronounced like a y, it indicates plural) or literally "roots", which are roots from which words are very freely built up, for example, from the root san- (health, healthy) we can build up:
sano "health" (-o ending indicates noun)
sana "healthy" (-a ending indicates adjective)
sane "healthfully" (-e ending indicates adverb)
sani "to be healthy" (-i ending indicates infinitive verb)
sanu "be healthy!" (command) (-u ending indicates imperative verb)
saniga "healthy, conducive to health" (suffix -ig means 'to cause to be/do')
saneco "health" (suffix -ec, c being always pronounced like "ts", means "-ness")
sanilo "cure, medicine" (-il suffix means "tool or implement for a given purpose")
sanigi "to cure, make healthy" (again, -ig means 'to cause to be/do')
saniĝi "to recover" (-iĝ means "to become, to be done")
sanisto "a health worker" (-ist means about the same it does it English)
sanulo "a health person" (suffix -ul means "person who is or does the thing described by the root")
malsano "sickness" (prefix mal- means "un-, the opposite")
malsana "sick"
malsane "sickly, in a sick manner"
malsani "to be sick"
malsanulo "sick person"
malsaniga "bad for one's health"
malsaniĝi "to become sick"
And so on. And these same affixes are applicable to any word, so for example:
alta - "high"
malalta - "low"
lumo - "light"
mallumo - "darkness"
In any case, in regard to word roots I would say that I know around 3 or 4 thousand (helps that many of them are more or less the same as they are in many of the European languages, and so anyone who speaks one already knows a lot of them), which counts for more in practical communication than 3 or 4 thousand words in a natural language.
>>
>>60108783
Well, I'm already currently studying Japanese, not terribly intensively, but I read one of those "teach yourself" books, and I try to keep up practicing reading on the Internet fairly often. I also know basic Spanish from taking a year of Spanish in school and have been exposed to Spanish since I was little through educational TV, and I can hold up a fairly basic conversation, or read with the help of a dictionary, but I haven't been keeping up much in the way of active practice.
>>
>>60104561
Can anyone actually speak Ithkuil, as opposed to slowly and laboriously working out sentences with the help of a grammar guide?
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.