[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English Help Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 286x176) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 286x176
This thread is for anyone who has any trouble with any aspects of the English language. Whether it be grammar, spelling, or pronunciation, or anything else, all your questions are welcome.
Shitposters no need apply.
>>
Way to make a spelling mistake there buddy.
>>
Do you say "my family is" or "my family are"?
>>
>>60010567
You would say, "my family is going to the beach." You don't say "my family are going to the beach," because the family is seen as a single entity.
>>
Is the sentence "Do not expect to see me at the beach anytime before July" grammatically correct?
>>
>>60010857
Yes.
>>
>>60010567
'is' is American and 'are' is bonglish (although the BBC uses 'is' as well depending on the alignment of Venus and the local humidity)
I use whichever feels right given the context.
>>
hes american who is a 4chan user who is

does this kind of double use of who in one sentence have a problem?
>>
>>60011054
what
>>
>>60011151
sometimes i want to use "who" as relative pronoun twice in one sentence, and does the way have a problem as english grammar?
>>
>>60011440
There's no problem, although it's a bit "heavy". Don't forget to separate the different ideas with commas. You could omit "who is" altogether to make it "lighter".
"He's an American, a 4chan user, a shitposter, a burger gourmet, ..."
>>
>>60009631
>"I suggest someone not go there"
Fucking
>>
>>60011649
I suggest no one go there
or
I don't suggest anyone go there

Anyone is used with negation, someone with affirmation (someone stole my wallet! I don't think anyone stole my wallet.)
>>
>>60009631
i do have indeed much trouble with english. listen is okay, writen is more difficult and speaking is nearly impossible for me. sadly, after 9 years of english lessons in school.

what i need is a short summary regarding all the possible tempora, like simple past, past perfect, past progressive, present perfect, present perfect progressive, present progressive, pimple present, going to-future, will-future and all the other shit that is there.

i have absolutely no knowledge in english grammar anymore, could you please elaborate?
>>
>>60012021
*listening
*writing

ffs i suck
>>
>>60011617
thank you very much, french anon san. i got it.
>>
>>60012021
What is it exactly about the past/present/future tenses that you have trouble understanding? Perhaps provide some examples, so it'll be easier for others to help you out.
>>
>>60012021
wow, German schools are as useless as Russian. Read more, and your grammar will be improving.
>>
>>60012584
>Read more, and your grammar will be improving.

"Read more, and your grammar will improve" would be more grammatically correct.
>>
>>60010729
This, same with Spanish
>>
>>60012270
i can't deliver examples, because i simply don't understand all those shit anymore. i forgot everything from school.
my question is indeed pretty extensive, so i don't expect an answer.
but maybe you could recommend a good book to learn the basics of english grammar again?

>>60012584
i read a lot of english books, ok mostly textbooks in my field of science. i also watched shows in english, nothing helped so far.
>>
>>60009631
Hey, Tell me words to pick up girl.
>>
>>60012893
I want to Tokyo your Uchimama
>>
>>60012893
>wanna hunt a whale?
>i suck your dick afterwards with the panties from my little sister on my head.
>>
Hello, buddies, is there anyone who is able to talk with me with voice a little bit? I'll have to take an exam at the university where I study.
I had never got a normal conversation with an English native speaker, I would be happy if anyone help me to correct my pronunciation and grammar mistakes.
>>
>>60012832
http : // goo dot gl / ElJmh7
Here's a pdf file of the book "Egnlish grammar fro dummies". Its pretty good, and gets it across. Beware, long read though.
Also the system think this is spam, so fuck that.
>>
>>60012893
>Get in the van... NOW.
>>
>>60013109
I would be happy to, but I have no mic/webcam :(
Maybe you could provide a vocaroo, and I can correct any pronuciation and stuff?
>>
The Netherlands is or the Netherlands are?

The Unites States is or the Unites States are?

The USA is or the USA are?
>>
>>60013747
oh shit i wasn't aware there is a dummy-book for english. thank you bro, i'm going to read that.
an no, long readings are not a problem, reading is pretty much what i do all the time.

THANK YOU!
>>
I'd like to ask another question, whats the actual difference between "go" and "get". I understand the meaning of "get" as become and it's rather used in sentences to express a negative condition of something/someone like "get worse" "get mad" and as passive grammar.

But for instance, what's the difference between "things go better" and "things get better".

I vaguely understand "go + adjective" sounds somewhat awkward or is rarely used when it comes to expressing someone's status/condition, but anyway cant fucking grasp the actual difference and its "feel" between those.
>>
>>60013956
Try reading this.
http://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/len/level-a/difference-between-go-and-get/
T.bh, I never really understood the difference myself. Its just one of those things where you hear it growing up and through out life, and you just sort of...know.
Shitty answer, I know.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.