[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WTF I hate Britain now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
WTF I hate Britain now.
>>
Lol.
>>
It was a decent film did any1 else see it
>>
>>59994283
>films about mathematicians
>features high society intellectuals and so-on

with alan turing movies and so-on all i gotta say is we wuz intellectuals n sheeit

no but seriously i wonder how these movies get budgeted, no hollywood film company would produce something high-brow like this.
>>
>>59994436
I noticed a lot of Japanese and Indian names in the credits, I don't know much about the makers of the movie but I'm guessing it didn't come from Hollywood, at least not exclusively.
>>
>>59994333
yeah, i liked it more than anything i've seen recently
>>
>>59994283
Is it good? Is it at all rigorous? As a person interested in Ramanujan as a mathematician and not as a romantic or whatever they always make these people out to be, will I enjoy it?
One description I caught eye of said the word "drama" and i was immediately disappointed. Should I even bother?
>>
>>59994436
>hollywood
it's an indie production, distributed by ifc films
>>
>>59994715
There's not a whole lot of math, and there is a lot of romanticization of him as a person.
>>
>>59994808
Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Are there any redeeming qualities then? Or is it just another "tortured autistic kid finds the love of his life but then has to chose between his passion for *insert autism here* and his girl" movie?
Is there ANY reason to watch it?
Or is it biographical? That could be kind of neat.
>>
>>59994738
>jeremy irons and stephen fry

not even indie.
>>
>>59994931
It's more about how the college came around to accept him. There wasn't a whole of of romance with his wife, I meant they romanticized him as a person. It was more like, "working with this quirky gifted guy helps both of them overcome their personal challenges" type movie.
>>
>>59995054
Oh okay its probably good but id hate it
Thanks anon
Ill just go watch a documentary instead
>>
the goofy story Robin Williams tells in Good Will Hunting? Are they serious?
>>
>>59994715

as a "math" movie it's 8/10, about as good as they can get.

They harp on one particular problem, to give the audience things to latch onto, but apart from one dumb scene, characterization makes sense, bears a simple historical review, and isn't outlandishly off-base from reality, though of course some liberties were taken.

I investigated one form written on a blackboard, and it seems to check out.

The stuff that I'm unclear about is exactly how bad the racism was for Ramanujan, I've never heard anything on that point, although I was aware of his illness. For the former point, read the book I guess. At any rate, the racism is plausible and makes sense, given the period and circumstances. But these are not proofs, of course. :^)

Personally I liked it. t. math major
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.