[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they teach British english at schools? I dont know if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: hm.png (170 KB, 450x298) Image search: [Google]
hm.png
170 KB, 450x298
Why do they teach British english at schools?

I dont know if this is only in my country.

This makes almost no sense, its harder to learn it because of the pronounciation it has, American english is so much easier to listen to and to imitate.
>>
>>59842255
Interesting I hadnt heard of this. Any other english as a second language bros here? Is American english really easier to learn?
>>
>>59842373
No, because it's the same goddamn language only with less (u)'s
>>
>>59842373
>Any other english as a second language bros here?

me not speak good you talk simply please so to understand?
>>
>>59842255
If you're going to learn it, may as well be the right way.
>>
>>59842373
He's right, in Spain we learn british english too
>>
>>59842878
I guess in Europe it would make sense to study British English because you're more likely to meet a British English speaker, but I would have thought that someone in South America would study American English
>>
>>59842443
this
>>
>>59842373
American English is clearer for non-natives, not to mention the prevalence of American media.

Not to mention, American dialects tend to still be clearer. Even, say, Texan is a hell of a lot more comprehensible to most non-natives (and even natives) than someone from Birmingham or Dudley.

Strangely, a lot of non-natives find Scottish English to be surprisingly clear, too.
>>
>>59842443
mum, colour, saviour
>>
>>59843036
It's harder and with the prevalence of american media like the other anon said I don't think it's worth the extra effort in learning almost never used british words and trying to read/talk with a native british accent it's hard as fuck,

>>59843082
>Strangely, a lot of non-natives find Scottish English to be surprisingly clear, too.

NOPE
>>
>>59842373

We learned british english but it sounds so retarded I felt ashamed reading like this in class so I tried to sound more american, what might be just as ridiculous, but I felt more comfortable like this.
>>
>>59843196
I'm talking of Scottish English, anon - not broad Scots like one would find within working class Glaswegian communities, which is technically another Anglic language.
>>
File: argentinians.jpg (146 KB, 1651x375) Image search: [Google]
argentinians.jpg
146 KB, 1651x375
Because of the Falklands mate.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.