[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is that true the that American accent is that the same of English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1462772031460.png (615 KB, 500x559) Image search: [Google]
1462772031460.png
615 KB, 500x559
Is that true the that American accent is that the same of English accent the original times?
>>
>Is it true that the American accent is what the British accent originally was

Sorry, guys. I don't know what happened here.
>>
Let me just hop in my time machine and check for you
>>
>>59820758
We wuz heigh ancient British und shit
>>
>>59820758
It's more original in terms of phonetics (which changed in the 18th century), but really neither British or American English is similar to Old English.
>>
Are you referring to the idea that the modern british accent came from the accent associated with royalty, while we yanks just kept the peasant speak? I don't know.
>>
>>59820852
I don't think OP means Old English. He's probably referring to the way spoken English sounded around the time the colonies split from Britain.
>>
Americans don't have an accent
>>
>>59821241
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_wmFZ66l0
these people have been living in the same part of america for several generations
>>
>>59820758
Serious answer:

Both American English and British English have changed in different ways since the English of say 1600-1700. Of course, there are numerous dialects within both American and British English that are closer or further away from how English was spoken then. Overall though, American English is closer to the English of 1600-1700 in terms of consonants, and British English with vowels. This is because British English is non-rhotic, which is a large chance since 1600-1700. However, (many) varieties of American English have lost certain vowel distinctions that British English has retained. It is up to you to decide which variety overall is closer to the English of that period, but in my opinion the answer is American English.

I hope this has been helpful.
>>
>>59821368
a large change*
>>
>>59821345
That's strange and comfy at the same time
>>
I'm not sure about the accent. But vocabulary and spelling is closer to the english in those time, than the brits today.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.