[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you define Europe /int/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Pretty simple question. I think we all consider the nations North of Africa and East of Russia and Turkey objectively European (Well, except some people who hate Albania with a passion), but what borderline states do you count out of these, if any?

Russia, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Israel, Turkish Cyprus

(Israel was added because it was from a European colony in proximity to Europe, its people are descended from European Jews, and it is generally democratic. I'd say that's enough features to at least add it as a choice, even if no one picks it)

(So Russians don't get their panties in a twist, the reason your state is considered borderline is the Siberian ethnic groups and land area outside geographic Europe. You guys are Europeans, but counting your overall state as European is questionable because of Siberia)

http://www.strawpoll.me/10280240
>>
>>59742198
Western Russia definitely, and maybe Georgia and eastern cyprus too
Turkey isn't culturally christian and the rest is too far away. Israel is too distant geopolitically, so to say
>>
>>59742765
I'm about the same, except I also count Armenia because they are Christian and them and Georgia sorta go together. Also, their language is apparently one of the closest related to Greek, so that helps a bit.
>>
>>59742914
Europe has three Muslim countries within its borders:
1. Bosnia-Herzegovina
2. Albania
3. Kosovo
>>
>>59743562
I mean, Bosnia is not exactly fully Muslim, but I getcha.

Almost every factor that is considered European has an exception, but generally European states follow MOST of them, making them still valid factors in determining how European a country is.

For example, almost all European states speak an Indo-European language... Except Hungary, Finland, and Estonia, which have a seperate language family common between them. I'd say we can call the religion of the states you listed some of their exceptions
>>
>>59742198
Europe is the most western part of Eurasia
>>
turey suport ra
>>
File: 1463927201469.png (1 MB, 1600x1441) Image search: [Google]
1463927201469.png
1 MB, 1600x1441
Fixed
>>
>>59745490
Ok, I understand most of this, but why exactly did you group Estonia and Latvia? Their languages don't even have a common ancestor, how do they fit together?
>>
>>59745689
Because I want to watch how they fight eachother
>>
>>59742198
Europe is basically christian western Eurasia, religion is the only reason why we divide Southern Europe from Northern Africa and the Middle East.
>>
>>59746160
Didn't read the OP carefully.

Turkey, the Caucasus and Russia all are pretty borderline for me, with Turkey being geographically and historically too important for Europe to be considered 100% non-european.
>>
>>59742198

Countries are unique and things aren't that black and white though. Turkey isn't middle eastern but you wouldn't really call it European either. If you do what does that make Bulgaria? Is Georgia more or less European?
>>
>>59745490
It's stupid what you've done in south scandinavia. It's also stupid what the original did to Finnmark in Norway (the majority language is Norwegian just like in rest of the country). And what did you do to the baltic states? And the original map shows Iceland in same colour as Sweden, what the hell? I'm sure there are more mistakes on this map, but I'm ready to disregard it all already.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.