[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE existance of Europe thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 1256x791) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 1256x791
Why isn't (pic related) one continent?
We call it Europe and the Asia, but isn't Europe just a region of Eurasia. The Ural mountains are not even higher than the Alps. What do Turks and Russians feel when they cross the border of their "continent"
>>
File: 1405787269144.jpg (88 KB, 526x600) Image search: [Google]
1405787269144.jpg
88 KB, 526x600
>arguing semantics
>>
>>59645709
This is the day to make it ALL clear
>>
Because they're historically and culturally completely different. Europe is bound together by a shared history like Christianity, the Roman Empire, the Latin alphabet and colonialism, while Asia is bound together by Buddhism, the Chinese dynasties, the Chinese alphabet and the Mongols

The mountains, deserts and barren steppes inbetween them are also a factor.
>>
Honestly, Europe (specifically Western Europe) is just a sekrit club to weed out the developed nations on the western side of the continent from the less developed ones. We all know it's actually just West Asia.
>>
>>59645650
It's a cultural division, of course it's arbitrary.
>>
>>59645881
And you're right, but it should be treated as a region, just like the Middle East, SEA, East Asia etc., not its own continent, which should just be landmass and nothing more.

The same goes for the Americas to a lesser degree, thought there the boundary between North and South is very clear, unlike with Europe.
>>
Because continents were never continuous landmasses.
That would make Iceland its own continent.
Continents are pretty much "big regions" with natural borders.
>>
>>59645881
Europe's is as much different as the Indian subcontinent, middle east and east Asia.
>>
>>59645650
Do you call the Middle East 'Southwest Asia'?

No, you don't and don't even try to lie. You don't. Now shut up.
>>
>>59645881
I respect your opinion, but I don't think Europe is justified by Christianity, the Roman Empire and the Latin alphabeth. Christianity comes from Palestina (Asia). A lot of modern Christian sites are in Anatolia (Asia). One of the most inportant parts of the Roman Empire was Anatolia (Asia). You can still find a lot of Roman sites here. Latin alphabeth derived from the Greek alphabeth and this one derrived from the Phoenician alphabeth (levant).
>>
>>59646188

I agree with you, but considering current affairs such a move would probably just galvanize nationalists and further encourage all the self-loathing Muslim apologists in Europe.

>>59646371

That's correct, but isn't India regarded as a sub-continent anyway? There's literally no one who thinks of Indians or Middle Easterners when they hear the word 'Asian'.
>>
When can we trade places with Great Britain?
>>
>>59646481

It doesn't matter the origins, I'm simply pointing out why Europe is grouped together presently, and history and linguistics are the primary reason. I personally don't think Europe is a continent either, it's a region.
>>
File: epic.jpg (604 KB, 2200x1477) Image search: [Google]
epic.jpg
604 KB, 2200x1477
>>59645650

>What do Turks and Russians feel when they cross the border of their "continent"

fuck this traffic
>>
>>59645650
Just a bunch of insecure whiteys wanted to feel more special and superior and have their own continent.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.