[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Orthodox Judaism (no pol)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: ShowImage.jpg (39 KB, 758x530) Image search: [Google]
ShowImage.jpg
39 KB, 758x530
What is orthodox Judaism about?
TL;DR = see bottom questions

I am currently watching Sonderkommando and realized both in original photos and reconstruction of German genocide camps you see Orthodox Jews the way we know them (black hat, curly hair -- pic related).

Now, I have been to the ghetto of Venice, and also to the one in Krakow and it is full of these dudes. Well, not full maybe, but many noticeable people were dressed in such fashion. The same goes with Melbourne Jewish neighborhoods.

I used to think Orthodox Judaism was a European Ashkenazi phenomenon, but either it is more recent than I think or it comes from somewhere else. Or maybe they were more of a minority than I assume.

I mean, anyway those hats are a 19th Century thing at best. And many people of all religions claim they are living lives "the traditional way" whereas in fact their traditionalism is but a recent phenomenon.

I post here hoping to avoid /pol/ banter. So I would appreciate if you kept this thread decent.

TL;DR:
>who are orthodox jews?
>are they ashkenazi?
>is this a post WW2 phenomenon?
>why don't I see them often in WW2 European pictures? Maybe at the time they used civilian clothes like anyone else...?
>>
Orthodox Ashkenazis are based on Hassidic/Haredi reformations in Eastern Europe, the black clothes are also based on what Jews wore around the time of those reformations

You can see how Jews dressed during the early 20th century by unironically watching Nazi propaganda footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOI3FqCZJE
>>
>>59601303
>What is orthodox Judaism about?
God, I think
>>
>>59601516
>by unironically watching Nazi propaganda footage
I watched a bit or that and they dressed like poles and basically anybody in Europe at the time. Some old fags had beards, but young people are not like pic in OP.

By the way Nazi propaganda was biased as fuck. I mean: sample bias, frame, etc.

They look at a random idiot and say:
>muh duh all Joos look like idiot
They watch a poor family:
>muh duh all Joos are uncivilized despite wealth

Top kek seriously.
>>
File: Pol_Jews1_001_001.jpg (299 KB, 964x635) Image search: [Google]
Pol_Jews1_001_001.jpg
299 KB, 964x635
>>59602663
>and they dressed like poles and basically anybody in Europe at the time

Well there's your answer desu
>>
All the ones with the black suits are Ultra-Orthodox Jews.
They have always been a minority amongst the secular Jewish majority.

Nowadays they make barely 9% of Israel's population.
>>
>>59602785
>Well there's your answer desu
Okay, but if that's the answer, then why do current Orthodox Jews say what they do *today* is traditional if 50 years ago it wasn't really a thing?
>>
>>59603829
>Nowadays they make barely 9% of Israel's population.
How many are there in the world?
Do they have political power? I heard Israel pays them money and welfare just because. Like, say, a commitment to support to religion.

As if Norway pair cash to those who live like Vikings.
>>
>>59605188
Their numbers are quite small. Jews make 0.2% of the world, thus less than 10% of us are Ultra-Orthodox which is 0.02% of the world.
(Muslims make over 20% and Christians over 30% of the world)

They barely care about politics or anything else.
Just want to mind their own business with no interruption from the secular world.
They are quite harmless and usually stay within their designated neighborhoods.
>>
Ashkenazi yid reporting in. Grandparents fled the war from both Germany and Poland.

My family would probably be considered modern orthodox and I attended to a strict private school

We live in Cali where there is a large Orthodox community and even my dad sports the hat you see in those pictures although he doesnt look any different from your average American. Idk im no expert and im baked but ama
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2707x2378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2707x2378
>>59605339
They reproduce like fucking rabbits though. They always have at least 3 kids here anyway.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.