[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: You are in charge of reforming the English language to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 1056x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 1056x720
ITT: You are in charge of reforming the English language to make it simpler, more logical, and easier to learn - in short, a more effective auxlang

My suggestions:
- Do away with the indefinite article, many languages do fine without it
- Regularise irregular verbs (e.g. "ran" -> "run'd") and in general do away with irregularities wherever possible
- Introduce a plural second person, either by bringing back "ye" or making "y'all" official
- Distinguish between the two forms of "we" (i.e. "we" as in "you and me" vs "we" as in "me and them")
- Do away with unnecessary gendered pronouns
- Complete phonetic spelling reform; one character for each sound
>>
if it gets simpler it will be like those artificial languages

"natural languages" contain cultural artifacts specific for the propagation of cultural thinking, it is ambiguous for what it specifically does but the effects are there

similarly a complete overhaul of the language will kill the last promotion of unique identifier the language has over the people-group and makes the language as a cultural promoter redundant

if you want a clean boring and blank language with little slog choose an artificially constructed one but english for all its faults is more than just a medium of communication
>>
>>59091127
>"natural languages" contain cultural artifacts specific for the propagation of cultural thinking

what your on about
>>
File: English_Pronunciation.png (146 KB, 700x2401) Image search: [Google]
English_Pronunciation.png
146 KB, 700x2401
Fuck that, i would make it even more complicated
>>
a/an/the are completely useless idk what is so cultural about them
>>
you can remove the 's, they are pointless. yall, not y'all.

The prepositions are really complicated, and could be simplified. It seems random what's used in many expressions. Unless they give actual information about positions and relations, they should always be the same.
>>
>>59092231
Video with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRSvTSY0d4
>>
>>59092564
Of course a slavic speaker would say that ; I for one can't think without articles.
>>
>>59090873
I would make verbs more distinguishable from other words:
>I see
>We see
>Thou see
>You see
but:
>He, she, it seeth
>They seeth

Past participles would be formed with an ending -en:
>run - runned - runnen
>buy - buyed - buyen
>select - selected - selecten

Present participles could use and Old English ending -ende, while gerund forms would still use -ing:
>run - runnende - running
>buy - buyende - buying
>select - selectende - selecting
>>
>>59097477
so you just make it like dutch? My understanding is that this board does not like dutch so that would not be an improvement
>>
File: duke.jpg (224 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
duke.jpg
224 KB, 2000x1333
>You are in charge of reforming the English language to make it simpler, more logical, and easier to learn
We know.
>>
>>59097708
People dislike Dutch because of the /χ/ sound, not because of its verb system.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.