[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Your cunt >Do you support refilling Sahara lakes via canals?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
>Your cunt
>Do you support refilling Sahara lakes via canals?
>>
Outside of cost and muh fauna, what would be the downside of this project?
>>
>>58958579
who is going to pay for it?
>>
>>58958626
It's not feasible at all. Like not physically possible. It's sci-fi tier shit.
>>
I want a bridge in gibraltar
>>
>>58958626
Weather patterns would probably be effected. On the one hand, to my uneducated self, this seems like an interesting way to stop desertification and make the land more fertile. On the other hand, this might have some weird butterfly effect and change something else that harms us.
>>
>>58958626

more Africans

Mother Nature is trying to do us a solid by searing them off the face of the planet and yet here we are thinking about ways to meddle
>>
>>58958725
t. Mohammed Abdul
>>
>>58958579
If it means North Africa becomes 1rst world and take back their diaspora I'm ok
>>
>>58958725
Why so it will be even easier for rapists to get to Europe?
If anything there should be a wall not a bridge.
>>
>>58958766

On the other hand, if their country isn't a desolate sandtrap, they could fuck off and celebrate their subhuman cultures without whitey interfering.
>>
>>58958766
>this meme again
Harsher conditions = higher birthrate because people need more children to take care of them. It's not a coincidence that the African countries with the least hunger also have the lowest birthrates.
>>
>>58958579
With what, sea water?
>>
>>58958948
It is rising, why not?
>>
>>58958948
Rhodesiaboo tears. Although they'd be too salty to support life then...
>>
>>58959007
I thought the same thing.

I think this makes an excellent point
>>
>>58959007
palestine is a country??? wtf
>>
File: 1453544811714.jpg (44 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
1453544811714.jpg
44 KB, 604x340
>>58958725
a.Preto da Amadora
>>
>>58959082
Hello new friend
>>
>>58959033
It is, and I imagine it will lower the earth temperature since desert surface isn't good at lowering heat, so more greenery equals less CO2, less temperatures and lower sea levels.
>>
>>58959140
jesus. thank god
I was a bit worried
>>
>>58959160
Is there any organization actively trying to make this happen?
>>
>>58958730
>stop desertification
>in full desert
>>
>>58959363
>I'm literally a retard
The Sahara is expanding. Cooling it down with lakes would slow or entirely stop that.
>>
>>58959291
Please, just let this shitty planet die already
>>
>>58959160
>desert surface isn't good at lowering heat

its INCREDIBLY good at lowering heat, its just that during the day it all comes back easily
>>
>>58959396
its mostly loss of vegetation in areas where it doesn't grow back from things like grazing that leads to desertification, not an increase in heat
>>
>>58959007
Hadn't considered that. Sure, but they'll be shallow, hot, and festering with red tide with just canals through the Sahara connecting them to the Mediterranean.
>>
>>58959523
You know what helps plants grow back? Water.... Riparian habitats are very productive.
>>
>>58959396
>implying water isn't the most effective heat sink on the planet
>>
We're going to have to do something like this to try to prevent the deluge of African migrants flooding Europe when global warming starts making the continent increasingly uninhabitable.
>>
>>58959599
Some of them are even -80m below sea levels iirc. And the canals would work as a power generation too.

>>58959424
I see

>>58959291
Some people from Norway are doing a related project
http://saharaforestproject.com/
>>
>>58959756
Land heats up faster than water. Evaporation of water during the day cools it down a bit.
>>
>>58958676
Mexico
>>
File: skell.gif (174 KB, 299x240) Image search: [Google]
skell.gif
174 KB, 299x240
>>58958915
wonder what would happen if every african and asian would live such a luxury n overindulgence as us in NA and EU...
>>
>>58960202
The African American birthrate is below the replacement level, so I think we know what would happen.
>>
>>58958730
>>58958626
Isn't the Amazon like it is partially because so much of Africa is a desert?

I don't remember the mechanism, but I *think* I remember some dudes theorizing that a project like this could lead to South America becoming more of a desert
>>
>>58960784
The theory isn't that SA will turn into desert, it is the Amazon will lose some of its nutrients provided by the Sahara dust carried by wind, and both Amazon forest and green Sahara existed at the same time a few thousands years ago, so I don't think it turning green again will cause as much as damage to the rain forest as you think. In matter fact, Sahara is the least of amazon concerns at the moment, it is HUEHUEs cutting it down that is threatening it.
>>
>>58959862
Bullshit, the Sahara is freezing at night because sand reflects nearly all the light that falls on it, water absorbs almost all the light that falls on it
>>
>>58962024
Who's gonna pay to build and maintain you dumb Pali?
>>
We can't, I championed this idea for years but I worry about the effects on fresh water aquifers, the wars over grazing rights and the effects further south.

People forget to mention during the neolithic subpluvial when the Sahara was a sparsely wooded grassland the Congolian rainforest was drier, I'd also question the effects in Europe but also for you White race awareness fools it's make travel much easier in the long term.

I suggest we wait for the Israel-Palestine-Jordan fill the dead sea with seawater plan and give it twenty years.

Oh and I'm not too sure about creating hyper saline lakes, effecting currents in the Mediterranean or the potential pollution/salination of the Sahara when the next green Sahara returns in 10k years.
>>
>>58962337
See >>58959928

>>58962372
Good point
>>
File: American Dustbowl, mid 1930's.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
American Dustbowl, mid 1930's.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1800
>>58958579
No. Mankind's understanding of climate dynamics and possible negative effects on this scale are too simple to forsee what disasters this might create. Historically, every time we try and change the landscape to fit our vision of it, something goes horribly wrong. It's better just to let it be and allow nature to take its course.

>>58962372
This, we have no idea what the fuck we are doing. The ways in which this big of a climate shift would affect ocean currents (and therefore the flow of plankton & other nutrient rich material) is unknown. Such a rapid change to the biosphere could cause disastrous ecological collapse in places completely unrelated to the Sahara.

>>58959756
>>58959862
>>58962317
During the Mesozoic, there were no icecaps and the world was a lot warmer on average due to the greater presence of liquid water. Water has an incredibly high heat capacity and can store more energy than land. This pattern in the Mesozoic and it's opposite, seen during the early holocene era (last ice age where there was little water and therefore a colder planet since rocky minerals are poor insulators) shows that the more water = hotter earth and vice versa.
>>
File: canal bypass for roachstanbul.jpg (170 KB, 869x516) Image search: [Google]
canal bypass for roachstanbul.jpg
170 KB, 869x516
>>58958579
forget those lousy salt water lakes. nothing will grow there anyway.

Let's build a GR-BU-canal instead!
>>
>>58963276
Kek
>>
>>58958730
The windblown dust from the Sahara fertilizes much of the Atlantic Ocean, the entire Amazon jungle (which is already nutrient poor and in a constant cycle of renewal), and areas all the way in Texas. It is essential. The warmth collected by the desert also keeps the Mediterranean area "artificially" warm.
>>
>>58963227
>>58962637
Thanks for confirming I am not being too autistic about this.

Currently I am really interested in lower scale halophytic farming and ranching along the saharan coast line as well as brackish ground water forestation in the periphery to stop desertification.

Seems regenerative, more realistic and more accessible for the poor.
>>
>>58960784
Yes. Saharan sandstorms are so big that the sediment blowing into the atmosphere fertilizes Amazon. Stopping Sahara might make Amazon a desert.
>>
File: australia.jpg (2 MB, 5250x4320) Image search: [Google]
australia.jpg
2 MB, 5250x4320
>tfw the bradfield scheme will never happen

The scheme that Bradfield proposed in 1938 required large pipes, tunnels, pumps and dams. It involved diverting water from the upper reaches of the Tully, Herbert and Burdekin rivers. These Queensland rivers are fed by the monsoon, and flow east to the Coral Sea. It was proposed that the water would enter the Thomson River on the western side of the Great Dividing Range and eventually flow south west to Lake Eyre.

>tfw they will never build a canal for the south sea to the lake eyre
>>
>>58964167
can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not desu.
>>
>>58958579
good idea but I'd never put money towards it
>>
>>58963524
it would ruin turkey within a week
>>
>>58964238
I'm not. Granted it won't happen in a long time, but less nutrients equals less regenerative growth in the Saharan rainforest
>>
File: jungle skybridge.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jungle skybridge.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>58963841
This. What a lot of people don't realize about rivers in any environment, is that as they eventually flow out to sea they drag a lot of the ecosystem's nutrients out into the ocean. Rivers as productive as they are, can be an enormous nutrient sink. Removing the particles brought over from the Sahara could tip that fine balance and cause a nutrient deficit in the Amazon.
>>
>>58963944
the project I posted is somewhat similar >>58959861
>>
File: keksmuth.gif (2 MB, 320x310) Image search: [Google]
keksmuth.gif
2 MB, 320x310
>>58959861
>>58964753
>israelis leave occupied land and give benistinians leftover greenhouses
>they bulldoze them and build rocket launch sites instead
>benistinians complain about desert
>>
File: 09_atlantropa800.jpg (126 KB, 800x634) Image search: [Google]
09_atlantropa800.jpg
126 KB, 800x634
What about Atlantropa?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
>>
>>58962317
t. Retard
Land heats up and cools down faster than water. Having water around is good for plants because it reduces temperature extremes.
>>
>>58965375
fuck no, looks like it would fail horribly
>>
>>58965375
no thanks. we have turks already, dont want blacks.
>>
Honestly, I think the least risky way to utilize the Sahara would be to build greenhouses there once automation is good enough that they don't require much human staff to support them. Of course, the technology for water desalination would also have to be advanced enough that we could pipe water from the ocean to the greenhouses and be cost effective. So it probably won't happen in the near future, and other advanced in agriculture might make those greenhouses not needed.
>>
>>58958579
AHAHAH LYBIA
>>
File: sun-belt Mojave Desert.jpg (206 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
sun-belt Mojave Desert.jpg
206 KB, 1200x801
>>58958579
>>58966574
If you could find a way to mitigate damage and dust coverage from sandstorms, it seems like the perfect place to set up massive solar farms. With the amount of energy that drops into that hot desert could power the entire world.

That being said, I wonder what the effect and possible drawbacks on the global biosphere and climate wold be by reflecting that much heat back into the atmosphere. Dark volcanic ash and large patches of energy absorbent rock have been known to affect local climates.
>>
>>58959186
????
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.