[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say that, for whatever reason, the UK were to leave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1452349332607.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452349332607.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
Let's say that, for whatever reason, the UK were to leave the EU and Scotland were to leave the UK. In such a situation, is there any reason to believe that Spain, Greece, Turkey and possibly France and the Baltics would vote yes to Scottish accession to the EU?

I'm doubting it, just because I get the impression that the national governments of those countries wouldn't be fond of legitimizing a secessionist state from a former member.
>>
I think it would depend on the manner in which Scotland leaves the UK

If the UK consents to it and recognises Scotland as an independent nation I don't see why the EU would have a problem with that, it would be basically the same as Ireland, which is in the EU

But if the Scots leave unilaterally somehow and the UK does not recognise their independence then they would have no hope of joining the EU
>>
>>58884533
I've followed this whole Brexit thing for a while. The Scotland leaving the UK thing is just a spook. They literally just voted on independence. It doesn't matter what the outcome is, referendums like that are ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

Also, Scotland will decline rapidly if it leaves the United Kingdom.
>>
File: 36220.jpg (44 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
36220.jpg
44 KB, 848x477
Goddamn SNP trolls with their scare stories.
>>
>>58884533
>Spain, Greece, Turkey
Should read Spain, Greece, Cyprus.

>>58884722
I guess the main obstacle in my mind would be that domestic political considerations in countries with secessionist movements (mostly thinking Spain and Cyprus) may compel their governments to vote No on an accession vote (which would require a consensus vote).

I can see your point with Ireland, although I think that Republican Ireland had been around long enough at that point not to matter, and the potential problem members weren't there at the time either.

>>58884777
>>58884849
I'm considering it as a hypothetical, I don't think it's realistic desu. But I think it's interesting to consider whether these specific dynamics would affect a potential accession of an independent Scotland, Catalonia or Turkey.
>>
>>58884992

If Spain were to block the accession of Scotland, or fail to recognisie it diplomatically in a world where the UK recognises an independent Scotland they would essentially be interfering in internal UK politics at that point, it would be grossly over reaching
>>
>>58884533
then you are stupid my friend

the EU is expansionist
>>
>>58884533
>yanks talk about European politics
>Turkey getting a vote in the EU

Why do they even bother opening their mouths when they don't have the faintest idea what they are talking about? Yanks are subhuman.
>>
>>58885160
But would it be internal UK politics at that point? As far as I know, all other considerations aside, Greece and Cyprus would never vote yes on Turkish accession due to Turkey's territorial claims and Turkey's recognition of North Cyprus respectively.

@58885270
Nothing gets past you, does it?
>>
@58885422
Yankee rodent. Go back to /pol/ and discuss this entry-level European politics with the other fat American imbeciles that make up that board.
>>
>>58884533
>In such a situation, is there any reason to believe that Spain, Greece, Turkey and possibly France and the Baltics would vote yes to Scottish accession to the EU?
The Spanish would block it, they don't want their separatist regions agitating any more than they already do.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.