[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are spelling and grammar mistakes people commonly make in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: 800px-Alpha_uc_lc.svg.png (16 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
800px-Alpha_uc_lc.svg.png
16 KB, 800x533
what are spelling and grammar mistakes people commonly make in your language?

>you're/your
>than/then
>there is/there are
>>
never should of come here!
>>
not using "whom" or semi-colons
>>
>>58884320
There are so many mistakes in Turkish people dont even bother anymore.

Even our government recently fixed a grammar mistake in our ids. It's been almost a century since this country was founded people are that stupid
>>
>>58884417
Holy shit
>>
>>58884320
americanisations
>>
File: nufus_cuzdanini_k.jpg (96 KB, 940x400) Image search: [Google]
nufus_cuzdanini_k.jpg
96 KB, 940x400
>>58884428
Yes horrifying but true. They changed "bekar" which was meant to say "unmarried" ,but doesn't actually mean anything in dictionary, to "bekâr" which actually means what is intended.
>>
Using "was" instead of "were" for subjunctive mood.

>John would eat if he were hungry.
>>
>>58884320
It's "definitely," you niggers,

Not definately
Not definatly
Not definetly

AND DEFINITLY NOT DEFIANTLY.
>>
>>58885886
I guess I'm the nigger. Irony
>>
>colour/color
>aluminium/aluminum
>footpath/sidewalk
>meme non-sport/baseball
>>
Foreigners don't know how to do the ão, nh, lh, ch sounds.
>>
La/El/Los/Las
>>
>>58884353
semi-colons are best avoided though. It's better to use a softer stop, meaning a comma with conjunction, or a full stop. Only rarely are two statements related enough and in a position within a paragraph where it would benefit the writing to use the stop in between a comma and a period. And it's still unnecessary even then.
>>
>de and het (mostly happens to foreigners)
>whether you should put a d or a t behind a verb because there are lots of rules behind it
>>
>>58885886
your defiantly austic you fag
>>
File: image_53.jpg (29 KB, 485x489) Image search: [Google]
image_53.jpg
29 KB, 485x489
>>58885929
>using archaic spellings
>>
>>58884353
the usage of whom has become extinct in 99% of peoples vocabulary
>>58884641
was instead of were is perfectly acceptable. if it doesnt instinctually strike you as "feeling" wrong its correct. this is how millions of anglophones would say that sentence. its not a matter of what the grammer book says, its a matter of how language is actually used
>>58885929
autism
>>
>>58886902
>whom isn't used by 99% of speakers
>not recognizing subjunctive mood

Both of these are common among educated speakers and published material. Also common in published documents. Your claims are very exaggerated.
>>
>>58884320
>pronouncing paradigm as paradyme
>pronouncing schedule as shedule
>pronouncing volatile as volatyle
disgusting britishisms
>>
>>58888083

That's correct:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paradigm
>>
>>58888083
how the fuck do you pronounce "volatile" without a saying volatyle
>>
>>58884320
>иди нaхyй/иди нa хyй
>>
>>58888267
vo-la-tul

It's weird I know
>>
>>58888419
disgusting tbf
british english > american english
>>
>>58884320
there's thousands of ways to kill the spanish language
you can google any meme in spanish for examples

>>58884340
here is where you belong :3 now gimme a hug
>>
>mas/mais
>bem/bom
>mal/mau
>porque/por que/porquê/por quê
>>
>ou/où
ou = or
où = where

ses/ces/c'est/s'est
ses = his/hers
ces = those
c'est = it is
s'est = not really translatable, " s' " is pronominal
>>
>>58888442
>british english > american english
Any version of English is better than your corrupt nigger Latin.
>>
>>58888616
>speaks english
>"french is corrupt !!1"
>>
Isn't "misspelled" one of the most common? Or spelt, it used to just mean a kind of wheat but nobody bothered writing spelled so they just changed spelt to mean that too.
>>
>>58884320
Tьcя/тcя
A very common mistake, people don't know you should ask a question to this verb to check if it has ь or not.
Жи/ши
Some people still right it with ы sometimes.
Punctuation in russian is way more complex than in english and most of russians never do it right. You should put , before ever чтo and a, you shouls put , after you refer to someone and tons ofbother rules everyone forget.
Writting dialogs. In english you just put "" on everythung the speaker says, in russian it should look like this:
And the first man spoke
-blah blah blah ah - though he didn't mean this exactly he keeped talking - blah blah blah blah
-no dude - the second speaker interrupted him - this is how it realy is: blah blah blah blah.
-ok, i agree with you.
And so they agreed on that

Double letters. The rules about them are complex so it is not always clear if I should write for example дepeвянный or дepeвяный, well in this particular case it is clear since дepeвянный is word-exception but amount of exceptions and riles makes it just unrememberable.
>>
>>58889122
>And the first man spoke
>-blah blah blah ah - though he didn't mean this exactly he keeped talking - blah blah blah blah
>-no dude - the second speaker interrupted him - this is how it realy is: blah blah blah blah.
>-ok, i agree with you.
Looks like you forgot many , here
>>
>>58889294
Oops, as I said it is way more complex.
>>
>>58884320
Some write and spell "Aaarghttffhhaaghhh" with one "t". I hate those.
>>
Spanish:
ay (ouch)
hay (existential there)
ahí (locative there)

All the fucking time. Also

a ver (let's see)
haber (auxiliary have)
>>
>>58889348
Qtulhu?
>>
>>58888083
What do you think is the correct pronunciation?
>>
Not changing endings of brand names like marketologists love to do in ads. It sounds ooga-booga.
>>
>>58889368
Nah, it's just a chant to keep off talking leaches.
>>
Herkes (everyone)
Herkez
>>
>>58889380 means people are supposed to treat brand names as declinable nouns:
“You can always rely on Niveyi products because we in Niveye know what’s best. Put your trust in Niveyu. Nivea’s cool yo.”
Because it sounds less jarring. It’s similar to the logic some countries use for names people can legally give to their kids: they must be declinable.
>>
should of/should have
>>
>>58888602
People can't conjugate correctly.
Most commonly, confusing past participle and infinitive:

>er
>>
S/Z/X/SS/Ç/C is an unholy mess or two. Exemplo/*ezemplo/*esemplo, cassar/caçar (example/NA/NA, revoke/hunt)

Por quê/por que/porque/porquê (why in sentence ending/why elsewhere/because/the reason)

J/G, specially viajem/viagem [verb/substantive, both sound the same]

Depending on the accent, ending L and U sound the same, so people mistake mal/mau (badly/bad) a lot.

Ditto for mas/mais (but/more), since some accents spawn an /i/ before /s/.

Syllable ending R in some accents either pops up randomly (hypercorrection) or disappears. I've even seen some fuckhead write "vosser" (badly mispelled você, "you") once, but for those common words this is rare.
>>
File: paradigm.jpg (30 KB, 289x119) Image search: [Google]
paradigm.jpg
30 KB, 289x119
>>58889379
The last syllable was traditionally pronounced like "dim" in the US. The British pronunciation "dime" crept into American English in the early 20th century and permanently blemished the language.
>>
>>58884320
should of or would of instead of should've/would've since it's a contraction of should/would have
>>
indefinite article in accusative singular masculine form einen is colloquially shortened to 'nen, but people also use 'nen for neutral nouns for which the accusative singular aricle would be ein.
nen Apfel (correct)
nen Haus (false)
>>
>>58889808
>vosser
HEAUIHEAUIHEUIAHEUIAHEIUA
I've seen some people write voçê
>>
>>58889882
If you were to start saying para-dim, you would be wrong. Language is defined by use. And you would be the only one saying it.

Same with whom. Almost no one uses it in day-to-day language. Therefore, it is correct not to use it.

This thread is full of prescriptivist idiots.
>>
>>58889920
Yup. It's what happens when you lurk in religious chatrooms, you see this kind of shit.
>>
>>58884320
>praegu/präegu
>õudselt/õudsalt
>anything ending in -ta or -tta, e.g. tegemata or tegematta
>In rural areas: Tallinn/Tallin/Talinn
>>
>>58890209
>This thread is full of prescriptivist idiots.

Most people here don't get out of the house much
>>
>>58890209
>If you were to start saying para-dim, you would be wrong. Language is defined by use.
This sounds like common core math. I say 2 + 2 is 4 but you, Trayvontius and Juanita feel that 2 + 2 = potato. You're a retard.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.