[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans often drink like chronic severe alcoholics in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: draper.jpg (64 KB, 757x437) Image search: [Google]
draper.jpg
64 KB, 757x437
Why do Americans often drink like chronic severe alcoholics in movies? Is it norm? No offence, just seems bizzare people consume strong alcohol without a snack or juice, like it's tasty tea.
>>
What, are we supposed to have a bag of sunflower seeds?
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 684x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 684x336
Ok I like Russia but are you REALLY going after anyone for having a drinking problem
>>
>>58883503
Is there a country where it is not normal to be alcoholic?
>>
Thats rich coming from the vodka capital of the world. Your women want to escape from your filthy 50% alcoholism rate. I pity Russian men
>>
File: 1460839202172.png (2 MB, 1214x1109) Image search: [Google]
1460839202172.png
2 MB, 1214x1109
>american "alcoholism"
boohoo i'm cranky in the morning if i can't get a small glass of watered down whiskey
lol i'm such an alcoholic
>>
>>58883503
A russian is asking this?

Anyway, I'm not sure. Never seen businessmen start throwing back whiskey in broad daylight the way they do in movies. Think the imagery is a vestige from when fine spirits were a sign of luxury.
>>
>>58883596
You're a fucking alcoholic. Disgusting.
>>
just manliness nostalgia that appeals to baby boomers
>>
File: 1454624087841.gif (3 MB, 421x336) Image search: [Google]
1454624087841.gif
3 MB, 421x336
>>58883596
>>
drinking all day long used to be socially appropriate
>>
people here not old enough to remember that there was no common drug use before the mid-60s so it was common for people to drink a significant amount at home and even at work to relieve stress
>>
>>58883535
>>58883553
I didn't mention any drinking problems, why are you guys always so easily triggered. I just asked if you drink IRL like you drink in movies.

>>58883607
>A russian is asking this?
As I said we don't drink like that, it seems degenerate. I can understand different countries have different drinking cultures but it's still hard to look at.

>>58883771
>>58883796
No, I mean why do people just drink it like non-alcoholic beverage. The taste is disgusting.
>>
>>58883918
>No, I mean why do people just drink it like non-alcoholic beverage. The taste is disgusting.
you only drink tasteless vodka
>>
>>58884025
Cognac was always snacked too.
>>
>>58883918
Don't get mad at them desu. They're new and used to hating Russians. Give them some time on /int/.

But no we don't really drink like that. We like straight whiskey/bourbon, but don't drink as much as you may think. Also straight whiskey is great if it has some ice in it. Neat whiskey is for people trying to impress you though.
>>
>>58883686
kek
>>
>>58883503
No offense, but as others have pointed out, Russians consume far more alcohol than Americans do. Also, it's not just that Russians drink more; it's also that hey binge drink more. The rate of death from alcoholism in Russia is far higher than in America.

To answer your question, there was a time when people drank like Don Draper, but not so much these days. It's generally frowned upon in professional communities, business, etc. People from the office might go out for drinks after hours, but nobody keeps liquor cabinets in their offices any more, and "liquid lunches" are viewed as the domain of alcoholics and discouraged, at least as a matter of routine.

All that being said, there are still plenty of alcoholics here. In fact, I'm one of them.
>>
>>58883644
Nothing wrong with being an alcoholic. Go smoke your nigger weed somewhere else.
>>
>>58883918
Are you implying people only drink alcohol for the taste?
>>
>>58883503
We were founded by puritans, it's hard to explain but basically with sex and especially alcohol it's almost always shown only to excess.
>>
>>58883503
It depends on the state
>>
>>58883503
Day drinking is common in New York because you don't need to worry about driving
>>
OP did gud.

Answer the question: they just accustomed to the taste. Whiskey has a long history in Anglo culture.
>>
>>58884855
Ofc no. I just never seen people drinking it like that before American movies.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.