[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Americans so good at making films? Why did Hollywood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
Why are Americans so good at making films?

Why did Hollywood become the most dominate film industry in the world?
>>
I guess we have a lot of creative minds here, idk. Hollywood is shit now though, but that goes without saying.
>>
Would be France but WW1 fucked them.
>>
File: the-godfather-1.jpg (357 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-godfather-1.jpg
357 KB, 1920x1080
>>58341985
Dominant film industry in the world*
>>
>>58341985
We were the most entrepreneurial about it
>>
>>58341985
natural aptitude at acting
>>
>>58341985
LA thread?
>>
>>58342241
No, fuck off.
>>
>>58341985
Jews
>>
>>58342226
this
americans are false as fuck
>>
It's really sad we don't get any posters from LA.
They are living the dream.
>>
>>58342387
LA is a smoggy, overpopulated shithole. The glorification it receives is entirely undeserved.
>>
>>58342387
Pretty comfy despite what this board tells you.
>>
>>58342363
>>58342226
>thread about American film industry
>turns into Germans hating on America
Every time.
>>
Long history of investments concentrated in a small area in the biggest economy in the world, maybe? Every country has one i suppose (we have -had- Cinecittà), but of course size matters.
>>
>>58342387
I've noticed most American posters are from the midwest or south.
>>
>>58341985
They make like 99.99999% of all movies in the world, they have money, experience and good actors. That's why American kino is so good.
>>
>>58342467
I know, a friend of mine visited, told me it's the most magical place on earth. North West Los Angeles that is.
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 750x924) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 750x924
>>58342387
I was born and raised in California, moved across the country when I was 16. LA is pretty overrated. Lots of Asian qts though
>>
File: 117709.198107-Michel-Temer.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
117709.198107-Michel-Temer.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v09h2gqhnKM
>>
>>58341985
>Why are Americans so good at making films?
>Why did Hollywood become the most dominate film industry in the world?
Americans are good at everything. You know it's true. Fight me
>>
>>58342612
except for losing weight lol ayyyyoooo
>>
>>58342508
yeah, maybe couple posters from nyc or miami, but the rest are from bumfuck america most of the time
>>
>>58342665
DELET THIS
>>
>>58341985
Because they have the biggest market, and therefore can have bigger studios with bigger funds to shoot bigger movies.

India have more viewers, but they're all maximum >designated poorfags, so they can just shoot shitty bollywood and tollywood shit and some >designated studios.

>>58342130
France still have an important production, though often subsidized, and there are some years where French movies represent more than 50% of movie theaters tickets' sales. It's one of the only country where the local scene has not been annihilated by the US one (like the Italian, German or Spanish scenes for example, bar there occasionnal overhyped stuff for hipsters presented in Cannes).
>>
>>58342768
>subsidized

You can't be serious.
>>
>>58341985
After the world war they were the only ones with enough resources to spend on "useless" shit.
>>
>>58342050
>hurr hollywood is shit amirite guys xDD im so specul xD
>>
>>58342881
Alright ya sperg. The movies coming out of Hollywood right now are absolute garbage, yes.
>>
File: Los_Angeles_Basin_JPLLandsat.jpg (931 KB, 3000x2063) Image search: [Google]
Los_Angeles_Basin_JPLLandsat.jpg
931 KB, 3000x2063
>>58342560
>North West Los Angeles
Which part?
>>
>>58342768
I love French films tb h. I'd learn French if it wasn't so difficult!
>>
>>58342933
I bet most films have always been shit it's just you only remember the good ones and all the shit ones are forgotten.
>>
>>58342881
Hollywood is actually a crappy neighborhood though.
>>
>>58342933
your taste is shit
>>
>>58343002
Yeah that is actually exactly what it is. Same with music, too.
>>
File: 1461449807806.jpg (466 KB, 3000x2063) Image search: [Google]
1461449807806.jpg
466 KB, 3000x2063
>>58342957
he also visited the Santa Catalina Island, told me people are happy and friendly everywhere, the happiest and friendliest he's ever seen all around the world.
>>
>>58342665
fug, right in the arteries
>>
>>58341985
They pretend for a living.
Mistress and Master of Make-Believe, as it were.
We just seem to have more of them, but with a country the size of your continent, its probably inevitable.
>>
>>58341985
elizabeth taylor was a fucking goddess
>>
>>58344248
And the power of time rapeed her from her beauty
>>
>>58341985
Blame Germany.
>>
>>58342387
Ehhhh δεν είναι πολύ ωραία εδώ
>>
Fascist shitholes can't make great films. This is why Hollywood films today are total dogshit. We can't upset tiny minorities, or god forbid, the academy.
>>
>>58342881

Actually yes, since about 2005 Hollywood has even admitted that most people can see which of their movies are going to be bad just from a few tidbits of info like who is directing or what the trailers look like. That's why they primarily make superhero movies, they're one of the few bad movies remaining that people are willing to see.

I think this is because there are occasionally good superhero movies and the general public hasn't been able to figure out how to tell the good ones from the bad ones at a distance.
>>
>>58345190
pou meneis?
>>
>>58345439
East LA. Too many damn hipsters here and there's nothing unless you are a business person really. Athena is so much better for regular people. I'm going to greece for 6 months this summer
>>
>>58345557
nai, gama thn athina, pes mou gia to LA, bro.
pia perioxi meneis?
ine sti showbiz i ikogenia sou?
kai gamw prepei na einai
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 861x758) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 861x758
>>58341985
Hollywood is so successful is because of the fact that Americans don't celebrate Easter. Why they don't celebrate despite being a Christian country no one really knows but the truth of the matter is that Easter eggs contain a chemical known as E-373930 which weakens a persons capacity to make good films. As Americans do not celebrate Easter and are not allowed to eat kinder eggs they are able to make vastly superior cinema to other nations. If any Americans are reading this post answer my why don't you celebrate Easter?
>>
>>58341985
It was at its prime in the 70s, 80s and to a lesser extent the 90s. They seem to have lost creativity now. They rely on the special effects, but the story to a lot of these modern movies are generic and boring. Remakes is a popular thing to do now. Force Awakens had the same plot as the fucking first one. I don't understand how they got away with that.
>>
>>58345964

I don't know about Britain, but the reality is that, in America, most teens and young 20-somethings haven't actually seen Ep4. They've only seen the prequel trilogy and have nothing to compare it to.

You have to realize that most of these people weren't even born when the special editions came out in theatres.
>>
>>58342387
LA is fucking trash. It's practically Mexico at this point.

It also has a shitty fucking culture, which likes to influence the rest of America like a cancer, and especially likes to spread into my beautiful state (Arizona). Fuck off LA fags, especially Califags, literally the worst fucking state in the country.
>>
>>58342156
according to the gentleman in your picture it's the Jews.
>>
File: Voskhozhdeniye_(1977).jpg (28 KB, 350x492) Image search: [Google]
Voskhozhdeniye_(1977).jpg
28 KB, 350x492
American movies are dogshit.
The only reason Hollywood dominates is because they kill or buy out independent film worldwide.
>>
>>58346141
Not the point. It still makes it lazy
>>
>>58341985
WWI
France and Germany made good movies before WWI.
The Americans have been making good movies since then, because the war didn't fuck their economy.

>>58342768
You literally rely on subsidies because your shitty movies can't compete with American ones. And you claim that you have an important production.
The Koreans do the same thing, but at least they make good movies in the process. French cinema is a massive joke that is only surpassed by the joke that is the French nation itself.
>>
1. large domestic market, even without foreign sales
2. the global lingua is a natively spoken language
3. diverse ethnic makeup means a larger talent pool that can play a diverse range of roles (you couldn't make something like the Godfather in Sweden)
4. the US was not touched by either World War besides Pearl Harbor, and a huge amount of it's young people (and potential talentpool) weren't dead as a result of the fighting as was the case in Europe
>>
>>58347121

Nah, that movie was anything but lazy.

I guess you just don't know much about Abrams. Everybody knew going into this that he would want to remake his favorite childhood movie. It's been obvious for a decade, he worked his ass off to do that.
>>
>>58347238
This is the first time I've seen someone berate Sweden for a lack of diversity.
>>
>>58346141
>most teens and young 20-somethings haven't actually seen Ep4.
that's fucking bullshit (ignore flag)
>>
>>58347238

Hollywood was big before WW2, much bigger than all competing film meccas.
>>
>>58347362
ethnic diversity, not racial :^)
>>
>>58347405

Nope, it's true. You might want to go actually ask them.

Most people don't actually go out and watch films made decades before they were born, anon.
>>
>>58347449
World Wars, plural
>>
>>58347541
I think at least 70% of them have seen Star Wars.
Probably a lot more. I've only met two or three people who hadn't seen the original trilogy.
>>
>>58347541
again, that's fucking bullshit. I'm not sure why somebody would actually think this. Do you live in a ghetto or on a farm or something? Movies are probably literally the only thing I'm able to talk to normies about.
>>
Jews, duh
>>
>>58347316
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithhammers/2015/12/the-force-awakens-spoiler-free-review

Read this. It pretty much says all what I think of it
>>
>>58347697
There are a good amount of young people here who unironically haven't seen the OT. I get very pissed whenever I hear someone hasn't. In fact I bet a lot have seen 7 but not the OT.
>>
>>58341985
Americans are socially adept so they're good at acting.

Europeans and Asians are autistic so they suck at acting, it's like kids trying to act in a school theaters. Just look at European movies or Asian movies, it's all cringeworthy acting.
>>
>>58347716

I live in a college down where most everyone here comes from somewhere else and is of the age where they'd go to see modern movies. I've got a pretty good sample.

They also haven't seen Terminator 1, most non-CGI Disney movies, The Godfather, Alien, etc.

Movies to them started with stuff like Pixar, X-men, and Lord of the Rings. It's 2016.
>>
>>58347870
What are you talking about? Look at the number of British actors you have in Hollywood
>>
>>58347870

it really doenst have anything to do with aany positive qualities amerifats may think they have, but more to do with being the bigger market with acces to the tech (initially), and being an industry fueled by crypto kikes and your government to set trends, and basically brainwash people with garbage

i udnerstand that ameripoos would think its all about how you're so different and above everyone else, but the fact is you have your nose up your ass and are wrong sorry
>>
>>58347952
>Lord of the Rings
>not the Hobbit
You give them too much credit.
>>
>>58347870
Brits are insanely overrepresented as actors in American films though
>>
We're doing pretty well for ourselves.

10 or 20 more years and I could see us rivaling Hollywood in terms of output.

Pinewood studios is getting a mammoth expansion. It's going to be insane.

It's a shame the locals are such obstructionist fuckwits though, as their original expansion plans were even more ambitious and involved creating 1000 extra homes which would make up private streets where filming could take place modeled on real life places all around the world. Also, they were going to be fully livable and a place for actors, set designers, etc to live.

But the locals shat their pants at the idea of 1000 homes being built because it might knock a few percent off their house prices. Short sighted dimwits.
>>
>>58348341
Especially in TDKR
>>
jews
>>
>>58341985
Sales of Japanese fims is more than American files in Japan.
>>
>>58342387
LA here, if by dream you mean nightmare then yes, living the dream

Come here if you want to see tons of mexicans, air pollution, heavy traffic, ugly buildings, and 3.8 million people that don't give a fuck about you

L.A. is only good if you're rich or a celebrity

fuck you must think I see movie stars every day and fuck 10/10's every night

the amount of degeneracy this place holds can only be trumped by new york
>>
>>58348687

That's because you guys watch hardly any movies at all.

>>58348707

Why don't you movie, then? Should be easy, just find a job somewhere and get the hell out of there. Most any place in the US should have a lower cost of living.
>>
>>58348687
That just proves you have poor minds.
>>
>>58348687
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_Japan

It's pretty balanced to be fair.. .
>>
>>58348707
Yeah I get it, I live in a big city too, but not as glamorous as LA, and that's what makes it so appealing to me, going from rags to riches, the chance of making it big , living the American Dream, it's pretty cool.
Anyhow, what part of LA are you from?
Most of the people there work in the showbiz industry ?
>>
>>58348037
brits aren't europeans
>>
>>58348687
yes, the japanese do love their pokemon and attack of the titan """"""""""""""""films"""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>58348471
That would be cool if there were like a chinese street, american suburban street, french street etc. I'd there there. I'd be like living in a fairy tale.
>>
>>58348833
nah, there's alot of small time models/actors

but most people just work average jobs

and this whole "rags to riches" thing constantly shilled to the entire rest of the world simply doesn't happen often enough to put your hopes and dreams on, what's stopping you from getting rich in greece, the same thing will likely stop you here

>>58348751
>why don't you movie
I can only T.V. show xDDDDD

I don't move because I'm going to college here

one day I will though
>>
>>58349081
it's fascinating nevertheless
>>
>>58341985
No one else has the time nor luxury to be doing this frivolous shit.
>>
>>58349133
I'm sure it is

I don't really know what it's like in Greece, so maybe it is better here, if it's your dream to come here and get rich, don't let anything stop you

just don't hype yourself up to hard and then realize it was all just a dream
>>
>>58349246
what's better than apart from getting rich getting super famous too, I'm just fascinated by it, I'm a total sucker for LA. It's what America represents to me.
>>
>>58349333
nice trips

I hope you find what you're looking for here if you ever decide to come
>>
>>58349481
I think you're confusing my intentions, just because I love movies and LA and all that glamour doesn't mean I want be involved in it. I just find it i fascinating. Living in a city where all these big productions take place, all these famous people live, it must get you at least a bit excited?
>>
>>58349601
Ah now I see, but no, I couldn't care less about seeing celebrities because they're just people

I just want to live somewhere where there is very few people and close to nature

I can see why others would get excited over it though
>>
File: fa4hs5.jpg (317 KB, 1060x2047) Image search: [Google]
fa4hs5.jpg
317 KB, 1060x2047
>Why are a nation of people who have failed at self awareness and are obsessed with the minutiae of the everyday lives of people of little or no substance so good at making escapist fantasies?

Hmmm...
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.