[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to spend 6 months in Austria finishing my Masters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: austria.jpg (36 KB, 652x318) Image search: [Google]
austria.jpg
36 KB, 652x318
I'm going to spend 6 months in Austria finishing my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Probably in TU Wien.

What should I expect?

I tried to find information about Austrian people but each source has different claims.

Also, I would like to know how is Viena from the point of view of a student.
>>
>>58305984
It's a slow board, but you could try asking in >>/trv/
>>
bumping for interest
>>
Vienna is beautiful, definitely cleaner than comparably-sized cities.

Where are you going to live? How's your German?
>>
>>58308251

Don't know yet, probably in a flat with other students.

I began studying german a year ago, and I can work my way with present-past-future as long as I'm working with regular verbs, but I have some trouble with dative,nominative... I'm focusing in trying to learn new words instead proper grammar, because I believe that is the best option given the amount of time I can work with.

My english is decent.
>>
>>58308898
isnt the requirement for masters at TUWI for the language C1?
thats not so easy to achieve but nevertheless oesd tests are laughable compared to goethe and daf and are completely recognised by the school
ill be enrolling TUWI in autumn in elektrotechnik os soon as i finish hs so i suppose i know a thing or two about the uni
>>
>>58309571

I have a C2, but I'm going only for the proyect, nothing else.
>>
>>58309673
>C2
>problems with language
dude how is that possible, which test did you take?
>>
Vienna is great for being a student.
Rents have risen a lot in the past few years, but otherwise it's great.
Vienna University is the largest university in the germanosphere so we have tons of Erasmus students here as well.

Also, any specific questions?
>>
>>58310289
is it easy finding an appartement in the city center?
what would you say about Kagran?
>>
>>58310343
Finding one? Easy.
Affording the rent? I hope your family is rich.
In the city center you won't find appartments for less than 15€/m2.
Kagran is pretty far up north, not much going on there. It's a meh tier residential area with tons of commieblock-style buildings. It's ok for living, but far away from university.
>>
>>58310429
many thanks for the info friendo
>>
>>5831024

The CPE, maybe you were asking the german one, in that case i have nothing, but since I'm not taking lectures in german it doesn't really matter.

>>58310289

Is there some kind of student residence within the university grounds?

I heard that vertical comunication (boss-employee) is very strict in Austria, to the point of not being able to propose other courses of action or suggestions. is it that bad?

Also, what do they think about spanish students?
>>
>>58310584
Not on university grounds directly, but student dorms are in many places around the inner city. However competition form a room there is very big, so try to apply for one as soon as possible if you want one. Costs should be around 300-350 for public ones, 500+ for private ones (these are pretty luxurious but then again you could get a small appartment for that price...)

In many companies, yes. Many bigheads hate it when their underlings have better ideas than themselves. Some also openly despise you if you are more educated than them. Best is to keep your ideas to yourself unless specifically asked about itt.

I only know a few spanish students, but they all keep to themselves. They don't talk to any other erasmus or austrian students, only to other spaniards. No idea
>>
>>58310798

If you can't share your ideas for improving the company, how are you suposed to get promoted?
>>
>>58310999
If the boss likes you. Or because you do your job very good. But the first is far more common.
It's very hard to get advanced positions here if you don't know the right people.
>>
>>58311107
Thank you kindly
>>
>>58310584
>I heard that vertical comunication (boss-employee) is very strict in Austria

Been working in other countries, we Austrians are very uptight assholy in comparison, so do not expect any assistance and help in the job enviroment, since most of us do not want to help (start-up hippie jobs excluded, or those founded by non-austrians). You HAVE TO KNOW the language if you want to get promoted, since promotion means more responsibility and more communication with the customers, if your german is subpar your only chance is to be a sought professional in your field.

Best district to rent a student apartment is, although most will disagree, the 20th district (from Nordwestbahnstraße to the Brigittenauerlände) it is still not gentrified for the rents to be overvalued, making them fairly low, but pretty near the center and with a lot of leisure spaces.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.