[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you think dutch sounds like a jumbled up version of english?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0695.jpg (26 KB, 236x359) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0695.jpg
26 KB, 236x359
do you think dutch sounds like a jumbled up version of english?
>>
no and fuck off with your 9gag memes
>>
>>58265685

yea
>>
>>58265685
Sounds more like a hick version of german to me.
>>
>le German is an inherently angry language meme

ahh yes
>>
post hot ducth guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX-NHeAjZFA
>>
>>58265781
its because the word was too god damn long
>>
>>58265781
why does rain sound like clean in german?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_vpEKGi80

so cute
>>
>>58265781
>meme
>>
>>58265685
No, but I honestly think that German sounds autistic, jewish and weird to be actually European.

>inb4 mad Polack
I don't hate Southern Germans, I hate Prussian scum. But seriously German language sounds fucking weird. All that lipsing like a fucking child.

Makes me puke.
>>
>>58266635
We don't really have a lisping sound. Try watching a German play or something or a poetry reading.

>>58266617
>I'm a clueless Anglo who gets his information on the world from Hollywood flicks

>>58266463
Regen is rain, clean is sauber. Sure you got the right words?
>>
>New Zealand
>different Language to english
>tbhq use Maori languages in yer next meme
>>
>>58266739
clean=reinigen
according to google translate
>>
>>58266739
>JA HANS SIE MUESSEN DIES JETZT SAUBER MACHEN

>but mom i just wiped this window

>DU MUSST ES WIEDER MACHEN
>>
>>58266635
>I hate Prussian scum

fuck you
>>
>>58266806
That's the verb. The adjective is sauber

>I want you to clean this
>I want you to reinigt this

>This is clean
>This is sauber
>>
>>58266635
>lisping
u wot m8?
the only lisping language is spanish.
>>
I feel dutch sounds like danish speak german.
>>
>>58265685
You can obviously hear the similarities.

I like the pitch accent of Dutch, but it's hard to explain. It's missing in German and English, and the pitch accent of swedo-norwegian is very different.
>>
>>58266886
>>58266739
I think he's talking about how German speakers pronounce their "g"s and "ch"s whenever they're preceded by an "i".
>>
>>58266883
so why does it sound like rain
>>
>>58266806
Oh yeah I was thinking about clean as an adjective.

>>58266842
You can make German sound angry, never claimed the opposite. Most Americans who come here are surprised however by how melodic and soft it sounds in daily life.

>>58266846
>Polish Prussiaboo

wew lad
>>
>>58266921
But that's a qt sound
>>
>>58266924
Because rain cleans? There's many words that made the jump from German to English and vice versa so it's not unrealistic.
>>
>>58266921
yeah "ch" can sound harsh but I have no idea what you mean by the prononciation of "g" after an i.
e.g.: ignore - ignorieren is pronounce the same way in english
>>
I love you
>>
>>58266951
The bavarians sound really melodic, but the hochdeutsch is austere as fuck in most of the north.
>>
>>58267030
i know. i was trying to learn some german words with google translate but 90% of the words i type in are literally the same in english.
>>
>>58267179
Bavarian German sounds beautiful. What about Baden-Württemberg? Surely you know Karlsruhe or Stuttgart. That accent is easy on the ears too.

Northern or Neutral German isn't bad either. S*xon and Pr*ssian accents are absolutely disgusting however.
>>
>>58266924
No. It sounds like
"rye-nizh(that's a soft "sh sound)-t"
>>
>>58267286
BaWu is okay but less nice than bayern.

ex-DDR is absolutely atrocious 90% of the time.
>>
>>58267286
schwiizerdütsch is the best tb h. hochdeutsch sounds assburger as fuck however.
>>
>>58267077
I'm talking more about towards the end of words, like leutig
In anglo spelling, that's loy-tizh. Not "loy-tig"
>>
>>58267286
I speak German with a baden-württemburg accent.
It's very soft.
I lived there.
>>
>>58267422
depends on the dialect. i for one have always pronounced all g's as in gear. ive heard germans pronounce it like a soft ch sound (as in hochdeutsch ich) at the end of a word..
>>
>>58267412
Swiss has too many guttural sounds in my opinion. All those throaty "CH" s.
Yeah, the beauty of German lies in its accents. You ever heard Bavarian before?
By the way, which language of Continental Europe does Gaelic resemble most?
>>
>>58265685
dutch sounds like a retard speaking german tb h
>>
>>58267457
Where exactly? It's a beautiful region ain't it? I have relatives in Karlsruhe.
>>
>>58267576
Watch it, don't bait our swamp-dwelling Brothers too hard. They'll throw a massive fit as always.
>>
>>58267524
the soft ch sound in germany sucks imo. it sounds like you can make the hard one but arent really trying, or like you have phlegm in your throat and youre breathing really hard.
>gaelic
well the only celtic language on the mainland is breton so that probably.
and no ive never heard bavarian tb h.
>>
>>58267670
its not even bait thats how ive always felt.
>>
>>58267620
how come there's different versions of german (i.e. austrian german vs bavarian vs hoche) but in english literally a person on the other side of the world will make the exact same sense to an australian?
>>
"hochdeutsch was a mistake tb h"-t. bismark
>>58267733
because the german "dialects" can be as different as ukrainian belarusian and russian. a german needs subtitles when hearing a swiss person go full swiss (although the opposite isnt true because swiss people, like ukies with russian, all speak standard german).
also i hear plattdeutsch (in the north)is closer to dutch than high german (the dialects in the south)
standard german has destroyed some of this diversity however. maybe this is why germans want so many refugees? they miss their own diversity and are trying to replace it :^)
>>
>>58267869
desu isn't censored anymore
>>
>>58267733
German is old as fuck. I don't know how English compares to it in that regard, but I'm sure the UK has quite a bit of variety between different regions as well. For English to be a global lingua franca, it obviously had to be standardised though.

The differences within Germany can be quite noticeable when it comes to pronunciation but mostly people from different regions will understand each other just fine, and only a few words will be different.

The notable exception is of course Swss German or Platt, as >>58267869 pointed out
>>
It's kind of weird how obsessed /int/ is about the Dutch (language) tbf.
I think Dutch sounds very cute when spoken by a girl normal when spoken by a man; the tones that "stand out" for foreigners are just tones you're not used to. You don't hear honks in a busy city after a while but it would stand out more in a small town.
>>
>>58267576
Can't say I disagree. Would much rather have German be our official language.
>>
>>58267869
All refugees speak the same broken German, so that would be a huge diversity fail desu
>>
>>58266635
I have to say you have far more variants of s/z/c/sh/sch sounds than we do, so saying that we lisp is a bit wierd.
>>
>>58268037
>>58268023

Your language is cool, don't take shit from them.
>>
>new zealand flag
M E N T I O N E D
E
N
T
I
O
N
E
D
>>
>>58268057
why do refugees act like they are staying around forever? won't they go back to syria once isil is driven away?
>>
>>58268104
polish:
Ś/Si - sounds like German "ch" in for example "Wirklich"
Sz - Anglo "sh" as in "shape"
Ch - anglo "h" as in "hate"
Cz - anglo "Ch" as in "choke"

I don't know what they guy wanted to say, but for me German sounds "unique" compared to the rest European languages, even to the rest of germanic ones.
>>
>>58268057
i know m8 just banter
FLÜCHTLINGEN RAUS uezs
>>
>>58267620
Heidelberg.
Our general back in the 90's had a pissing contest with the mayor and both refused to renew the base's treaty out of spite for each other, so even though the general got replaced and a new mayor was elected, it was too late to stop the military base from shutting down.
;_;
>>
>>58268216
Let's hope so. Some of them are good lads, but some of them just don't know how to behave (see Cologne/Köln)

>>58268290
No worries m8.
So are you an expat?
>>
>>58268219
Same with polish and the slavic languages I know.

German and Dutch have a great amount of speakers together, so I guess that counts as self contained.

>Just implying that if low german is a german dialect than we share a LOT with dutch stull, except literature and culture of course.

On the lisp thing, maybe he can't handle our ss , hah, or ß.

Might be that.

Its like stretching the sharp s sound in slap, so might be considered wierd.
>>
>>58268154
Well that's nice but this isn't a defensive post per se it's to make a point, the main point is that certain sounds stand out when you first hear a certain language. The more you put your focus on that sound the more you might decide to dislike it.
And a handful of Dutch people who go along with the bandwagon reinforce the idea for foreigners.

Doesn't help people here tend to be on the autistic spectrum more which I'm not saying to insult. It matters because autists tend to focus on smaller details more instead of the whole picture.
>>
>>58268324
Well, it is a beautifull town and we can use those nic barracks to shelter fugees in.

Win Win.

>No one won this day, wake me up.
>>
>>58268324
Heidelberg is such a beautiful City, the inner City core especially what with all the fairly intact historical architecture. They have a huge University too, so there's a fuckton of qts roaming the streets.
>>
>>58268409
You speak english to well, probably.

Like in sweden they are bombarded to heavily by american memes.
>>
>>58268420
>>58268412
>guy on 4chan has time to meet qts in the streets
Nahh, mate. Full autism mode here.
What's funny is that when I spoke what little German I knew, Germans often thought I was one of them. They'd always get a bit surprised when, after speaking with me for a moment, I'd trail off and go "err... sprechen Sie Englisch?"
I got quite a few compliments on my accent.
Once we did switch to English, a few times I was mistaken for a Limey. Not just in Germany, though. I was also mistaken for a Limey in Paris and in Amsterdam.
>>
>>58266951

You're very right in that. My aunt is German and it doesn't sound angry at all when she speaks it in general conversation, but when she is yelling something at a distance... it does come off as angry sounding.

I think the whole angry German meme shit comes from most Americans first hearing it spoken from old ass Hitler speechs.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.