[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Accent thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
What are some resources that I could use to learn various accents of the English language? Google's results are as shitty as you'd expect them to be. Pay2learn, amateur YouTube videos, and the like. I'm interested in Irish, Scottish, British, German, French, Russian, and Australian accents, but let's not restrict discussion to just those. I'm also curious, when someone from a foreign country speaks, say, Spanish, do they have an accent then? I would assume so, but I've never heard anyone talk about a british accent to Spanish, or an African accent to French or some shit.
>>
File: 1452528601644.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1452528601644.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
Why would you want to "learn" an accent ?
>>
>>58212539
I love the way different accents sound, and some of them I just think sound funny, like the way poor blacks speak here in the US. You've never been interested in accents, anon? They're pretty neat!
>>
>>58212502
Speak to people with those accents or bury yourself in some linguistics.
>>
>>58213005
But anon, I don't have the means to do so!
>>
>>58212502
Why are you Americans so obsessed with accents? Not like it's a good thing not speaking proper Engrish.
>>
>>58212961
Well, accents are interesting, I agree.

I can only tell you what I know about foreign accents. Basically, everybody has a list, in his brain, of the different phonemes needed to speak his language (also all natives speaker don't share the same list.)

When a native french speaker is learning english, for instance, he encounters sounds he doesn't have in his list, such as /th/. However, his brain is searching its little list and pull out the closest sound it can found : /z/, which is why french people speak english "like zis".

Expending the list takes time and practice, because even when the sound is properly registered, you still need to learn how to produce it on a physical level.
>>
>>58213147
Are there not various accents that people speak Russian in? I would assume there are. It's very interesting to hear the various ways that people will speak the same language.

>>58213535
Trying to pronounce some Korean words is where I started to realize this. I think I definitely need to gain a higher education of my own native language to better understand other languages and accents. I definitely want to start learning what I can, when I can, though.
>>
>>58213690
Russians have very little accent variance. A person speaking weirdly is a foreigner or a Russian who learned Russian as a second language, it would never cross my mind that they are from a place where people just talk like that.
>>
>>58212502
>Irish, Scottish, British
>>
>>58213690
I see what you mean now. It is true that gaining more understand of a language like English, with many many dialects and accents, can be helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything that could be of help. Good luck, though.
>>
>>58213690
>Are there not various accents that people speak Russian in?

No, Russian doesn't have accents, all the native Russian-speakers in our country speak the same standard form of the language.
>>
>>58213535
Oh, I forgot to provide an example. The word "haemul" in Korean is very difficult for me. I am assuming, now, that that is because the way the "ae" is pronounced is a phoneme that is not present in American English? Conversely, what little studying I've done of Japanese has seemed easy, and I believe that is at least partially because of the fact that there are actually some phonemes that are "missing" from the Japanese language when looked at from an English-speaker's point of view, such as the sound "a" makes in "cat", and the sound "i" makes in "will", and there's no way to make them out of other phonemes by combining them, like making "á" out of "eh" and "ë".

>>58213831
>>58214047
That is very impressive, actually, that there can be such consistency with the way your language is spoken across your country. It is a little disappointing for me, though, as I was hoping there were several different Russian accents that could be applied to English.
>>
>>58213873
What? Please, correct me where I err. If it's about me calling them accents, it's simply because I am speaking from an American point of view. I understand and acknowledge that the way I speak English is not the way it was spoken originally, unless of course it was and I'm spouting nonsense because I've not yet educated myself on the matter.
>>
>>58212502
Estonian/Finnish accent is just reading out words as they are spelled, soft t's, sharp s's and rolling r's
>>
>>58214205
I wish I knew how to roll my r's...
>>
>>58214185
Northern Ireland and Scotland are both British, you probably meant Ireland, Scotland and England
Also there are over 50 British accents
>>
>>58213690
Well, we speak differently on the South and in Moscow. In moscow people pronnounce long vowelsю While here on the south we speak very fast.
>>
>>58214226
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Feo3uZt8BS
>>
>>58214234
If that is the case, then yes. That is what I meant.

>there are over 50 British accents
That's even better!
>>
>>58214292
http://vocaroo.com/i/s09EyTz5g2NF
>>
Why the fuck are americans so obsessed with accents
>>
>>58214370
lel was it French accent or parody on Estonia?
>>
>>58214441
muh heritage
>>
>>58214112
> I am assuming, now, that that is because the way the "ae" is pronounced is a phoneme that is not present in American English?
Pretty much, yes. And if you have "a good ear" like some people have you still have to figure how to articulate the sound. To speak is a very complicated action that requires the coordination of various muscles in different parts of the body, nothing surprising some sounds are hard to make for other people, like rolling r's.

And you are also right in the way that knowing phonemes that don't exist in the language you'r trying to learn is a helpful thing.
>>
File: ouiouimonsieur.jpg (418 KB, 1000x986) Image search: [Google]
ouiouimonsieur.jpg
418 KB, 1000x986
>>58214370

I think we can come to an agreement here, take these baguettes
>>
>>58214292
Well, at least it's not a genetic trait and I can learn it if I really try.
>>
>>58213092
Learn how the foreign language sounds (its phonology), and then apply those speech rules to English. It's not hard.
>>
>>58214515
This may be quite helpful, anon. Thank you!
>>
>>58214442
Thickest french accent I could have done.

>>58214497
Merci monsieur. Neat language you have, btw.
>>
>>58214459
Eh? This has nothing to do with my heritage. Think of all the things that fascinate you. Do you have a reason for why all of them fascinate you, or just some of them?
>>
>>58214569
No problem bud
>>
OP here. I have to get some sleep for work. Thanks for the discussion and new information! It's been fun.
>>
I met a guy in LA who told me he was taking lessons to speak "British English"
When I asked for a demo he basically mumbled "You alright?", I told him it wasn't bad and that he sounded like he was from London and he got offended, saying "i-it's the Queen's English..."
Strange lad
>>
>>58214513
Definitely not genetic. I'm 15/16 Estonian, but since I learned English a lot from a really young age I have a hard time speaking English with a finnic accent.
>>
>>58214860
>Strange lad
Indeed.
>>
File: 2000px-Slovenian_Dialects.svg.png (412 KB, 2000x1344) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Slovenian_Dialects.svg.png
412 KB, 2000x1344
> every village has its own dialect (not accent)
> foreigners learn standardized version
>laugh when some Brit dude who lives in capital doesnt understands me in full (deliberately spoke my litoral dialect wich has many Italian words and dif. sounds i.e. we use h for g etc.)
>his face when he realized his Slovenian is actually sub par

that's why I love English, simplistic grammar, easy to learn, real lingua franca of 20th and 21st C

imo will get more simplistic in the future
>>
File: baba.jpg (36 KB, 621x488) Image search: [Google]
baba.jpg
36 KB, 621x488
>>58215210
>deliberately spoke my litoral dialect wich has many Italian words and dif. sounds i.e. we use h for g etc.

>he is actually proud of shitting up his language with foreign words and not speaking his own language properly
>>
>>58215315
>well tbfh the Italains use some of owr words in their Triestin dialect, its mixed area, bound to have some foreign words, its the nature of life language
>think how many of your Litva language uses germanic, slavic/russian words?

Litva friend why u go bad meme senpai?
>>
File: 1438343363755.png (137 KB, 430x428) Image search: [Google]
1438343363755.png
137 KB, 430x428
>>58213535
>tfw i'll always speak like zis
>>
>>58216417
Be glad! Just do your best to make your accent noticeable, but not unintelligible. I used to not like French accents, but I've quite warmed up to them lately.
>>
>>58214226
Quite easy after you learn it, but I'm Hispanic so it's not as fair
>>
>>58214860
It can be weird. I did 3 years at college to get an English major (yeah, I know) and I had this professor that insisted his heavily Spanish accented English was supposed to be RP English. Shit like that made me quit that path.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.