[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
File: press freedom.jpg (64 KB, 1170x470) Image search: [Google]
press freedom.jpg
64 KB, 1170x470
Do you think the media should censor opinions so you can be in your own bubble, or is press freedom the way to go for a civilised nation?

Flag
Free press all the way, #2 on the list.

>Poland #47, from #18
Why are you so afraid of opinions?
>>
>>58167351
https://rsf.org/en/news/2016-world-press-freedom-index-leaders-paranoid-about-journalists
>>
There is no cenzorship in Poland, it's just butthurt because of right-wing party being in charge.
>>
>sweden
>good situation
>>
>Sweden
DROPPED
>>
File: 1445418736474.gif (3 MB, 312x250) Image search: [Google]
1445418736474.gif
3 MB, 312x250
>Sweden
>>
File: 1439372767978.webm (2 MB, 1368x768) Image search: [Google]
1439372767978.webm
2 MB, 1368x768
>Sweden
>Good

this entire list belongs in the trash
>>
>>58167351
>Sweden
>Germany
>GOOD SITUATION
>Why are you so afraid of opinions?
Jump of a bridge. Poland is a lot more freedom of press than Sweden and Germany, those latter have literally leftist censorship.
>>
>>58167351
What the fuck? Both leftist and rightist papers still print whatever bullshit they want, the only change is that the national TV changed its song, which is no wonder.
>>
>>58167351
>>Poland #47, from #18
That was fast

Two elections went wrong and Poland ended up in the shitter
>>
>>58169322
what the FUCK
>>
>>58170748
Fuck off, it was during the last party's government when a certain newspaper's offices were raided by the police when they got wind the head journalist there got his hands on certain recordings. If anything I hope the drop is because of that incident.
>>
File: soros-komorowski.jpg (177 KB, 663x364) Image search: [Google]
soros-komorowski.jpg
177 KB, 663x364
>>58170748
>Two elections went wrong and Poland ended up in the shitter
Yes, because Soros said so?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNqm3qiOnU
>>
>>58167351
Why are the USA worse than us? We can't talk even about the Holocaust properly.
>>
>Poland went down 30 ranks just because they elected a non-leftwing person
they don't even try to hide their bias
>>
>>58171210
>just because they elected a non-leftwing person
>implying PO is left-wing
Majority of European governments atm are right-wing
>>
>>58171210
See >>58170982

>>58171385
Ehh PO are leftwing pro-EU/Merkel traitor thieves, yes.
>>
>Sweden
>Good situation
>EVERYONE MUST PRAISE THE BBC OR ELSE
>>
Daily reminder that freedom of speech is no longer right if you consider any government-mandated limitations on any of its aspects to be justified or satisfactory.
>>
>>58171479
no longer a right*

Rights are either inalienable and inherent by virtue of being human, or nonexistent.
>>
>Reporters without borders is a bad or biased source
They're just looking at press FREEDOM, and there's no absolute freedom anywhere in the world. It's based on laws protecting journalists, etc.

>>58171210
They adopted a law that limited media freedom
>BUT I LIKE THE GOVERNMENT'S OPINION
'Words CAN hurt, you know?'
>>
>>58171442
>>58169322
>>58169249
>>58169134
>>58168908
Funny that you should regurgitate that /pol/-propaganda in a discussion about freedom of the press.

The fact of the matter is that the press is free to write about pretty much whatever it likes. The fact that it doesn't write about what you'd like it to write about doesn't make it any less free. You're the kind of retards that believe that freedom of speech means that there's consequences to what you say. Furthermore, there are media outlets that are openly against and/or outright hostile to immigration and the governments policies (fria tider, bubb.la, SD-kuriren, avpixlat etc.) that haven't been silenced or run any risk thereof.
>>
>>58171516
>They adopted a law that limited media freedom
The fuck you're talking about? All they did was make chief of national media electable by the government, something that makes no difference as national telly budget is regulated by government anyhow.
>>
lmao polacks in denial that their shitty cathocuck government led by a mentally ill manlet is running the country into the ground

literally stockholm syndrome - the nation
>>
>>58171129
The ranking has less to do with laws and stuff and more to do with what actually happens, for example we are so low because we have like 40 journalists under protection because of death threats from the mafia after they wrote something they didn't like
>>
File: ON PURPOSE.gif (2 MB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
ON PURPOSE.gif
2 MB, 768x432
>>58167351
>Germany
>Sweden
>>
>>58172044
Poland is beginning to look like little Russia
>>
>>58172177
>beginning
>>
>>58172044
You need to pull the nigger cock out of your mouth for anybody to hear you first.
>>
>>58171129
US media freedom, enshrined in the First Amendment to the 1787 constitution, has encountered a major obstacle – the government’s war on whistleblowers who leak information about its surveillance activities, spying and foreign operations, especially those linked to counter-terrorism. Furthermore, US journalists are still not protected by a federal “shield law” guaranteeing their right not to reveal their sources and other confidential work-related information.

You dropped heavily last year, but you don't have as many laws limiting free press. I'm actually not sure if the facebook censoring is included, as it is self-censoring in a way.
>>
>>58167351

Canada does not have free press, the papers are owned by a handful of billionaires who discourage talking about certain topics. 'Press freedom' only measures how much the government controls press, not whether or not the press is free.

To answer your question though, an ideal situation would be a free press and no censorship, but so long as financial motives exist in media it will never happen.
>>
>>58167351
I think this organisation is stupid and cannot really measure the level of free press.
>>
>>58172237
>piss supporter projecting his cuckold fetish of jarek the eternal virgin fucking his whore mother in the ass
haha
>>
>>58172361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdYq_i9a7gw
LEFTIST
JOURNALIST
FREEDOM

IT'S THE EBIL RIGHTWING CENSORING EVERYTHING
>>
>>58172270
>the papers are owned by a handful of billionaires who discourage talking about certain topics.
That's how it is almost everywhere though

Actually, the papers who shout the loudest about our freedom of speech are owned by German conglomerates.
>>
>>58172465
>That's how it is almost everywhere though

Yeah, but it also means we don't actually have a 'free' press, since they won't oppose political positions held by their owners.
>>
>>58172270
The list isn't really how free your press is, but how the ones below you are limiting their press even more than yours.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 398x381) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 398x381
>>58172381
nice false equalisation wykopku

the previous govt actually bent under the pressure of the public and wprost published those embarassing tapes in the end (hence why we didn't drop in the 2015 press rankings)

while piss just keeps firing a journalist after a journalist despite the protests, not even hiding that they want to turn the entire public media into their personal propaganda hub
>>
>>58167351
So everyone is writing >Sweden, but does Sweden really have state censorship. Isn't it just that their news agencies are cucked (by their own will) and won't write the truth?
>>
>>58172973
>while piss just keeps firing a journalist after a journalist despite the protests, not even hiding that they want to turn the entire public media into their personal propaganda hub
Well, public media are owned by the government, so they can fire whoever they want.

Just like a big boss of a privately owned newspaper can stall articles from one of his journalists if he doesn't find them in-line with paper's agenda.
>>
>>58171702
this
>>
File: american-flag-with-eagle.jpg (89 KB, 565x343) Image search: [Google]
american-flag-with-eagle.jpg
89 KB, 565x343
>America
>Satisfactory

Good job guys, we did it.
>>
>>58173248
And you don't see why that's a problem?
No wonder Poland lost 30 ranks.
>>
>>58173174
>Isn't it just that their news agencies are cucked
Pretty much this. There are alternative news outlets that are socially conservative and anti-immigration, as I mentioned in my previous post >>58171702. Most people here have no fucking clue what's going on or how the laws work. The only kind of censorship that even remotely affect the Swedish press is our hate speech laws. But that law (mind you I disagree with it even existing) only prohibits the press or people from publicly expressing disrespect or inciting violence towards certain groups (religion, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation and that kind of stuff). I.e. intellectual discussions about it are not illegal.
>>
>>58173463
What exactly is the problem here, aside from state-owned media ofc?
>>
>>58173463
I don't see how it's a problem because that's how it is everywhere and pretending otherwise is sugarcoating it.

The government made public media more government controlled. The private media deride them for it with no repercussions. Where is freedom of press threatened here? If the gubment thinks having a propaganda tube is what they need, go ahead. Isn't that what western media do anyway?
>>
>>58173463
PiS fired many apolitical people in managerial positions of government controlled companies that survived multiple government changes (even previous PiS govenment) and replaced them with their own inept twats

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-12/the-rolling-stones-and-two-dead-horses-expose-poland-s-new-elite

They think they own the state now
>>
>>58173573
>>58173585
The public media should provide a balanced view of things, not be the propaganda outlet of the government. That's why the government doesn't have full control over it.

Idk, but here, the government gets criticized all the time, even in the public stations. And that's how it should be imo.

If having these public stations is a good idea in the first place is a different topic, and I am not really sure about that
>>
>>58173739
>If having these public stations is a good idea in the first place is a different topic, and I am not really sure about that
Well I agree with you here, but as long as there's public telly I don't really give a damn what the government does to it.

I don't even own a telly anyway, lel. I'm just glad my favorite (public) radio stations are still balanced, despite the takeovers, but I guess no one cares about radio.
>>
>>58173739
Now it's more balanced then it used to be. Under the previous government it was full of shameless pro-gov shills.
>>
>>58173739
Maybe that's the case in Austria but from what I can gather German state media isn't performing that well in this regard.
>>
>>58173862
>it was full of shameless pro-gov shills.
Eh, don't be a joker, it's like that now too.

The difference is that under previous gubment even private stations were either neutral or pro the ruling party. Now everyone's against them, except the public TV. And the "independents".
>>
>>58173988
They're indeed staffed with shills but debates are far more interesting now imo since invited guests represent wider spectrum of opinions. That's a step in right direction.
>>
File: spede.png (25 KB, 230x300) Image search: [Google]
spede.png
25 KB, 230x300
>#1

Uhh
>>
>>58173739

Dunno about you, but our public media is very biased so it makes sense. They launched an article decrying how the combination of tax and budget cuts under the previous government 'only' yielded a net gain of $50 per person per month, and as such were bad for the country.
>>
>>58167351
Ok, so Sweden and Germany are censoring their news in order not to appear as politically incorrect yet they are the freest. Meanwhile the US is somehow yellow

Shitty, ideologized rank based on surveys issued to left/liberal minded journalists
>>
>72th
>our goverment getting mad and says UN officer dont understnd about japanese Xenophobic media system.

so ashamed seriously. we are china tier.
>>
File: 1409012073644.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1409012073644.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>Finland was #1

Just tells how fucking totalitarian this planet is.
>>
>>58171702
>(fria tider, bubb.la, SD-kuriren, avpixlat etc.)

All "alternative media" AKA "not reliable".
>>
>>58178250
>based on surveys

srsly?
>>
>>58181920
They're more reliable than the mainstream media desu
>>
>>58182216
And how do you expect to do such rank? They issue surveys to "their" journalists in particular countries and then publish this as an evidence for a state of freedom of press
>>
Lol and what would be the problem with Argentina, Brazil, and freedom of expression? Absolutely no problem. This maps are just "the world as seen by murifats"
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.