[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Abandoning the name Boaty McBoatface build up bad PR for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Boaty McBoatface.jpg (82 KB, 818x632) Image search: [Google]
Boaty McBoatface.jpg
82 KB, 818x632
Abandoning the name Boaty McBoatface build up bad PR for the British government (especially since the Queen herself needs to give approval for the ship to even get the RRS prefix) and ensure lifelong obscurity for the vessel and her mission. We all know this, but additionally, whatever name they choose instead will result in resentment towards whatever they name the ship after, since the general public will see that thing as having "stolen" an official British government ship named Boaty McBoatface away from us. For example, Poppy-Mai has only ever been heard of outside of the UK thanks to playing second-fiddle to Boaty McBoatface. If the ship gets named RRS Poppy-Mai, there's a risk that sectors of the general public will sour towards hearing about Poppy-Mai, since they will have only heard of her first and foremost as "the reason we can't have nice things."

Really, the fact that the winner of their contest was even a clean, safe-for-work name is astonishing. The NERC should just be grateful that nothing like Gushing Grannies ended up winning. They should cut their losses and take Boaty McBoatface, regardless of if a few people within their ranks are too serious or assmad to take a joke.

Boaty McBoatface thread.
>>
who the fuck cares? why is this thread here?
>>
>>58162695
Maybe they should name it the RRS refugees welcome then
>>
>>58162762
It's here because I'm an American talking about how the British government would place its own poshness over the overwhelming will of its people.
>>
>>58162812
I was playing a game where I had to guess flags of countries a few hours ago. I got your flag wrong.

you should have posted in the threads i was in a few hours ago.
>>
>>58162695
>not even RRS Hitler Did Nothing Wrong
Worst internet name contest ever
>>
>>58162871
That's precisely my point, though: the winning option was entirely clean. They're not going to offend anybody with Boaty McBoatface, aside from the few people within their own ranks who have sticks shoved so far up their asses that they've begun enjoying its company.
>>
>>58162870
The real flag has a two headed eagle in the middle, it looks much better than the shot 4chan version
>>
RRS Pingu would be adorable
>>
>>58163681
RSS David Attenborough was in line to win until reddit got hold of the poll

Would of been cool, but I think traditionally you don't name vessels after people that are still alive
>>
>>58164660
yes, I think it's a posthumous honour everywhere in the world. Bad form.
>>
>>58162871
THIS
We really should have stepped up our game.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.