[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Duolingo thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: image.png (26 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26 KB, 500x540
What languages are you learning at the moment? Post your usernames and show off your stats.
>>
>>58105283
I'm currently working through the spanish course, but very slowly.
>>
Italian right now. It's going alright. I'm just past the second checkpoint.

I hadn't taken French since high school, but I placed in at 33% fluent. Haven't really followed up on it.

I might do Esperanto for shits, but it's literally useless.
>>
>>58105283
>post your usernames
>>
File: 1444470190283.jpg (158 KB, 671x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444470190283.jpg
158 KB, 671x1000
How is the Turkish course? Has anyone tried it?
>>
>>58108123
I haven't tried it, but it managed to get out of beta, so it's probably pretty good.
>>
File: 175249.jpg (134 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
175249.jpg
134 KB, 446x400
>>58105283
>duolingo

Has anyone ever managed to learn another language with that piece of crap?
>>
>>58108893
It's literally just an A1-A2 comprehensive course shoved into a space repetition quiz format. Most overrated and underrated software out there.
>>
>>58108893
>doesn't offer my native language, therefor it sucks

wew
>>
I'm working on German but should I just drop it? The way things are going there won't be that many German speakers left.
>>
>>58108969
I mean yeah, but it doesn't market itself as anything else really. You can't get a 100% fluency rating on duolingo, but it'll get you close enough to start talking with native speakers. That should be your only real goal with the program.
>>
>>58109015
Learn French instead I'm thinking of doing it and /fr/ looks like a pretty comfy general.
>>
>>58109091
French is a really silly language desu but it's also pretty widespread in certain areas.
>>
>>58109015
The way things are going you're better off learning how to speak transistor
>>
>>58109015
Is anyone actually serious with these kinds of questions? Do they really think Japanese, French, German, anything is just going to die in 5 years? How the fuck do some people interpret the world and demographic shifts? By the time any major language is endangered you will be shitting yourself in a nursing home or long dead.
>>
>>58109091
I'd like to go to Québec one day but French is just so weird to me. Germanic languages are just so natural to me.
>>
>>58108969
I wouldn't be surprised if people burned out using Duolingo in just two days.

>>58108992
>implying anyone wants to learn Hungarian

Bitch please. Even I don't want to know Hungarian, and I was fucking born here. I'd gladly forget my entire language if that meant I could speak English without an accent.
>>
>>58109336
A ton of people pick it up for a week and don't get anywhere, which really inflates the number of people actually using the service. But many people who get somewhere with duolingo wouldn't get anywhere with a textbook that teaches the same material, not everyone can self study confidently.
>>
Currently on the Genitive 1 unit of russian.
Obviously im not expecting to learn a whole language with that program but so far it has been useful to get used to the sounds and learn a few words.
>>
>>58109335
When I took French back in HS I liked it and it came relatively easy to me at first, probably because the grammar structure was fairly understandable. I like the language, but I have others I'd prefer to learn first. Russian and German are top on that list, but as much as I've tried things like duolingo, nothing seems to work better than learning in an actual class with an instructor for me.
>>
Anyone know any info on Afrikaans? it would be literally useless to learn for me cause I doubt I'd ever even go to South Africa but it just seems like a neat language. Could you basically just learn Dutch and be able to get most of it?
>>
>>58109383
>many people who get somewhere with duolingo wouldn't get anywhere with a textbook that teaches the same material, not everyone can self study confidently.

Meh. Textbooks are absolutely garbage for learning language, they only take away whatever little enthusiasm one had in the beginning. Personally, I'm all for immersion. Switch the OS you're using to the language you want to learn, play games, listen to musics, watch shows in the target language with a trustworthy dictionary opened in your browser. You don't really need anything more.
>>
File: 1460813844574.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1460813844574.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
Does anyone else re-do the same modules over and over again? Or is that just me?

Do some of you just finish a module and never come back to it? It's been 112 days for me, and I'm only around 40% through the French tree with 53% fluency.
>>
>>58109784
I constantly go back to. It encourages you to. I like to hit the little dumbbell which throws you into a random review course to keep things up.
>>
>>58105283
Poolish
>>
>>58105283
Italian
>>
>>58109784
I keep doing shit over and over fearing that i might start to forget important things
>>
>>58109784
It's a spaced repetition system, you're supposed to go back as it tells you but you can get away with waiting longer. The whole idea is you learn it then get to the point where you're about to forget it then relearn it. The faster you go the more you review, don't overdo reviews though you're just defeating the purpose of the system.

>>58109711
Textbooks are great for beginner grammar though, once someone understands cases and all the basic connecting words that pop up over and over it's much easier to learn like you said. Beyond that they're kinda useless though.
>>
File: whaaaaat.jpg (112 KB, 644x527) Image search: [Google]
whaaaaat.jpg
112 KB, 644x527
>>58109135
>>
>>58110969
Do you guys actually think you're pronouncing all those letters at the ends of your words? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>58111125
They know they don’t pronounce them.
>>
>>58105283
Italian because sperant is going To be the same useless language.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 657x527
>>58110969
It's very disconcerting with all of the silent letters and pronunciations.
>>
>>58113206
I’m pretty sure both English and Russian are harder to read and pronounce than French. French is very reasonable as far as languages go.
>>
>>58113450
Of course Russian is harder than French and I won't comment on the English since I'm biased. I found every Germanic language and Italian easier than French.
>>
File: Capture.png (276 KB, 1015x663) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
276 KB, 1015x663
PSA
If you like Duolingo check out Memrise.
>>
Japanese, but why by myself just because duo lingo can't comply
>>
>>58114511
you will never learn japanese
>>
hello, im stuck at colors in swedish in duolingo because i dont know the endings, can a fellow swede help me?
>>
>>58109784
>>58109821

I'm doing German and I feel like I'm trapped in an endless cycle of practicing foodstuffs, maybe I should just move on but I don't feel confident.

Duo lingo is like a slow torture but I figure anything that I can do consistently will help.
>>
>>58105283
French
>tfw you lost interest in learning

idk maybe i´ll try again, i can listen and recognize some words naturally, should i change to german?
>>
>>58115608
Are you reading the tips and discussions that go with each level? Every single question in the levels has a discussion to go with it. I'm embarrassed by how long it took me to figure that out.

If you're really stuck, just make flash cards.
>>
>>58109135
>not impressing bland bitches with shitty phrases in french
what are you doing nigga?

omelette du fromage
>>
>>58109396
hey, you should try learning spanish
>>
File: uEl5qpK.png (83 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
uEl5qpK.png
83 KB, 1080x1920
>>58115816
Learning Italian my dude. Way sexier language, plus muh heritage
>>
>>58115986
nah, its somewhat similar to spanish, it would be like learning an older version of your natural language
>>
Is Hebrew done yet?
>>
>>58115800

I read some of them if I don't understand, I just can't seem to retain things very well. I guess eventually I will learn via force, I am trying to get as much as I can before trip to get money this summer.
>>
>>58116020
I actually already took a few years of French in high school.
>>58108079
is me. I just don't have much interest in continuing French. I can understand it pretty well anyway, I'm just not great at speaking it.
>>
>>58116046

*germoney

Fukkin phone
>>
i'm waiting for greek desu, only two weeks left now
>>
>>58105283
started my norwegian course just yesterday, so far i really like the fact that Duolinguo offers you the chance to practice your pronunciation. I'd still like some feedback from some norwegian buddies
>>
>>58116370
>so far i really like the fact that Duolinguo offers you the chance to practice your pronunciation
you can mumble anything it will still count
>>
>>58116404
shoot, i'll have to look for different options to practice my pronounciation then.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.