[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
>"Hello my friend."
>"Thank you, my friend."
>"My friend, here is your change."
>"Yes, my friend."
>"Excuse me, that is my wife, my friend."
Just why? Who told you that is how you speak English?? Who told you that is okay? Why do you insist on doing it?

All is says is "I'm foreign". Is there some sort of English learning program where they teach you that? Can you stop?
>>
>he doesn't like when people are polite

rude
>>
>>57976474
are you their friend? If not, they're being rude
>>
>>57976474
That show is so fucking stupid
>>
>>57976578
Native English speakers never say "My friend" as part of conversational English.

We say "This is my friend" but we wouldn't say "This is my friend, my friend."
>>
>>57976660
No, I'm a customer, or a person walking by or anything but their friend.

>"Excuse me my friend. What time is it my friend? Thank you my friend."
>>57976671
You're not my supervisor.
>>
>>57976689
Listen friend you have it all wrong.

It's like saying "Hey buddy" or "whatsup dude"

It's a general word you use when talking to someone and you don't now their name.

I'm pretty sure none of these people actually believe they are your friend.
>>
Same shit happens in SEA with "sir"
Idk who the fuck taught them 2bh
>>
>>57976770
I know they're not "my friend" and it isn't like "buddy". They think they're being polite and this is a proper way to speak English to include "my friend" in every sentence.

Are you one of those Canadian Chinamen I hear so much about?
>>
>>57976861
I'm 100%% white my friend.
>>
>>57976855
"sir" can be polite in a professional setting. You should stop if someone asks you to stop though.
>>
>>57976914
>"I'm Chinese"
got it.
>>
>>57976474
yes my friend, I know exactly what you mean
>>
Probably just their way of speaking or some honorific. I was always confused by Americans calling teachers "sir" or "ma'am", here we call them "you", their name or a nickname. Or they're trying to be polite, like the British saying please, sorry and thank you all the time.
>>
>>57976991
>Americans calling teachers "sir" or "ma'am
that's a southern thing
>>
>>57976958
I bet you don't even have any friends. You should be lucky these people would even consider calling you that. You seem like a real fucking autist.
>>
>>57976991
You call a teacher "you" or their name? We need boundaries in the US.

We at least have some manners, probably from the English, unlike you Swedish savages.
>>
>>57976770
OP is right. No native English speaker I have known has used 'friend' in a colloquial sense to address a stranger or acquaintance. I only ever hear: man, dude, buddy, or bro. Although I might be forgetting some.
>>
>>57977072
Tell me about the strategic maple syrup reserves, Mr. Chong.
>>
>>57976916
Not only in pro environments though. In online games. Online games.
And SEAmonkeys call you sir.
>Fakka you sir
>pls push te tawer sir
>>
>>57977205
>I only ever hear: man, dude, buddy, or bro. Although I might be forgetting some.
How about not using that shit at all? I don't because I'm not trashy.
>>57977291
weird formalities in online gaming is weird, yes.
>>
File: 1454423180039.jpg (650 KB, 1045x3515) Image search: [Google]
1454423180039.jpg
650 KB, 1045x3515
>>57977037
My mistake.
>>57977204
Yes. One of my teachers was named Markus Svensson so we called him a nickname/shorthand of his last name Svennis, like you would a good friend. Boundaries work well when the people aren't savages, I'm from a small all-white town so we never had problems with it unless the student had ADD or some handicap. I hear from friend's of my parents who are teachers that the lack of boundaries has caused the school system to almost collapse. Of course no one is willing to admit this is because most of the troublemakers are from non-white barbaric shit holes. Oh well.
>>
>>57977392
What makes those terms trashy? The majority of young people use at least one of those.
>>
>>57976991
Some Argie teachers make you call them "usted" which is a formal version of "you" although with male teachers we did kinda lose formality and call them by their name /surname / in some extreme cases nickname
I remember having a teacher everybody called "titi"
>>
>>57977545
probably right.
>>
>>57977764
Pot heads or adult children use those terms, buddy.

You know, dude? Okay, bro.
>>
>>57977875
Here it's mate, or sometimes pal
>>
>>57977875
What the fuck would you prefer to be called then, since you don't seem to like being called anything.

I'll just call you faggot.
>>
>>57976474
>i am too afraid to say "my friend" to people because I said it once in middle school and the person said "what? no we are not friends"
>>
>>57977875
I don't even use the terms and I have to disagree. The average college kid and around that age will use them. I suppose you are right if you are talking about older people.
>>
>>57977948
Don't worry, England. Your time has come and you've ruined your own language.

The Americans are here to speak it properly for you. Now run off to Mosque.
>>
>>57978058
Scotland actually pal, I don't have a local mosque
>>
>>57978150
>I don't have a local mosque
Don't worry, they'll build one soon.
>>
>>57977392
>if you call someone "man" you're trashy
>>
>>57978276
yes. that is correct.
>>
>>57978344
>A """""""correct opinion"""""""
>>
for some ungodly reason Polish people like to pepper their attempts at English with "see" and "yes"

didn't notice any autistic forms of address though, maybe the awkwardness that you can't just call people "mister" all the time
>>
>>57976474
I love Cheryl/Carol
>>
>>57978810
I had a Korean professor last semester who also would say "yes" over and over again throughout her speech. So I guess you have that in common!
>>
[This is American slang only]

GOAT Tier
>dude
>chief
>boss

Good Tier
>man
>bucko

Rancher Tier
>hoss
>guy
>friend
>partner/pard

Middle-Aged Dad Tier
>son
>sport
>boy

I Live on the US/Canadian Border Tier
>fella

Ghetto Tier
>nigga
>dog

Looking for a Street Fight Tier
>pal
>buddy
>jack

Absolute Garbage Tier
>bro/brother
>>
>>57976474
What's the problem, my friend?
>>
>>57979366
>chief
>boss
>god tier
literal dudebro slang
>>
>>57976745
du bist nicht mein Vorgesetzter, mein Freund.
>>
>>57979366
>Middle-Aged Dad Tier
>>son
>>sport
>>boy
hhhnng!
>>
>>57976474
>Terrorists win
>>
>>57976474
>"Voi vittu, what is your problem, saatanan apina."
This is how my parents taught me to speak to foreigners.
>>
>>57978894
My favorite line of hers ever is "He's deaf? Gross."
>>
>>57979796
I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard "My friend" in an ISIS video.
>>
File: Empire of Dust.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Empire of Dust.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>57977545
>>
File: Filipino Reaction.png (16 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
Filipino Reaction.png
16 KB, 429x410
>>57976855
>Same shit happens in SEA with "sir"
In the Philippines, Sir is only for people in authority. Like your boss. Or for customers and you're an employee.

Everyone else (in Tagalog) is Kuya (Brother) or Ate (Sister) or if elderly: Manong, Manang (no direct translation, honorifics for elderly Men and Women)
>>
>>57980032
that's one brazen azn
>>
>>57980082
ma'am/sir and sir/ma'am are the best. All one word, no matter who it is walking through the door... god damned pillipinos
>>
>>57980249
As expected of a Chinese person desu
>>
>>57980082
>In the Philippines, Sir is only for people in authority. Like your boss. Or for customers and you're an employee.

This is the proper use of "sir". Good job, flips.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.