[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the origins of the different names of Germany? Allemange,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1454829979967.jpg (17 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
1454829979967.jpg
17 KB, 500x336
What are the origins of the different names of Germany?
Allemange, Deutschland, Germany, Niemcy

pic unrelated
>>
Gib Ruhe, Rabbi Schmeudel Schmocklow-Birnbaum
>>
>>57877342
Awesome
thanks for the helpful post
>>
>>57876734
Germany used to be a clusterfuck of different tribes and the different names for the Germans came from the tribes that were encountered first (Allemans, Germans, Saxonians, Teutons etc.). Slavs call us Niemcy because it comes from the word "mute" because the encountered German tribes didn't speak slav. The only name of Germany which is close to Deutschland comes from Japan because these two countries met relatively late after Germany was unified.
>>
>>57878598
>The only name of Germany which is close to Deutschland comes from Japan because these two countries met relatively late after Germany was unified.
what about Dutch?
>>
>>57878598
in greece we call france "gallia" and frenchies "gallous" because of the gauls
and for "gauls" we use "galates"
>>
>>57878732
Our name for Germany is very exotic and doesnt sound German at all.

Duitsland
>>
>>57878732
Anglos couldn't be bothered.
>>
>>57876734
Niemcy = mutes
>>
>>57878732
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany#Names_from_Diutisc
>>
>>57876734
I have a question that is unrelated to your question, what is the opinion of germany in your country?
>>
>>57879014
We don't think of you as nazis if that's what you're thinking
>>
The French call us Allemande because Chlodwig/Clovis (I think that's his French name) defeated the Alemannic tribe to form the Frankish Empire, which would later be split up in Germany and France (simplified version)

Duits and Deutsch come from Teutonicus, which is a word Romans used to describe >us

German refers to the Germanic tribes, that name was given by Caesar himself.
>>
>>57879113
uhm yeah, that was my question, thanks for your answer
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.