[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans hate New Jersey so much? Is there an historical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 254x199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 254x199
Why do Americans hate New Jersey so much? Is there an historical reason as to why they're made fun of in the media so often?
>>
They sound funny, they're rude, and they're corrupt
>>
Never underestimate the power of memes t. memeknower
>>
It's literally just the place that's not new York city
>>
File: NewJerseyMap.jpg (42 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
NewJerseyMap.jpg
42 KB, 512x384
>>57803542
I'm from New Jersey.

It gives New York City something to beat up on to ignore the fact that they're equally shitty but more stuff to do in the cities.

Also because the last few governors were corrupt assholes, and corruption here is pretty bad. Liberal and conservative authoritarians up to wazoo. Bureaucracy and the such.

Anyone who claims people from New Jersey have a New Jersey accent never been to New Jersey. That's a Bronx accent.

Parts of Newark are a shithole. Anything near NYC is likely to have crime.

Also heroin everywhere. It's not outright obvious, but it's becoming a problem here.
>>
>>57803542
>>57803734
Urban blight everywhere, the state looks like its stuck in the 1980's ala eastern europe. Backwards fucking laws. Corruption. Drugs. Gangs. Stupid accents and local customs. You can't pump your own fucking gas.

The list goes on.
>>
>>57803734
But it seems to go back much further than just contemporary memes. Even benjamin franklin shat on you guys. I've heard before New Jersey used to be a place New Yorkers would put their trash in, literally a landfill. Is that true
>>
>>57803734
>Parts of Newark are a shithole
Which parts of it aren't? It's been a trash heap since the riots.
>>
Tony.
>>
>>57803849
>You can't pump your own fucking gas.

Ah, New Jersey trying to give the untrained jobs.
>>
>>57803542
Its just overall a shitty place that has a massive inferiority complex to NYC, and barely any positive qualities that you can't get in any of the massively superior surrounding states.
>>
>>57803964
Ah, New Jersey trying to give the felons jobs.

>ftfy
>>
File: 1437240286479.png (158 KB, 1100x822) Image search: [Google]
1437240286479.png
158 KB, 1100x822
>>
>>57804009
Chances of those being any different?
>>
>>57803734
Rude, we aren't shit. Tbh New Jersey has some nice areas, but they're overshadowed by memes.
>>
>>57803879
https://www.google.com/maps/search/landfills+near+New+Jersey/@40.7147646,-75.7669619,7z?hl=en

It wasn't as bad as it used to be.

>>57803914
That's the thing, a lot of the white rich folks left New Jersey after the riots because they simply didn't want to deal with this shit.
>>
File: camden-nj.jpg (34 KB, 610x436) Image search: [Google]
camden-nj.jpg
34 KB, 610x436
>>57804130
Anything west or south of Newark isn't shit.
>>
>>57804198
Except Philadelphia, which is just as bad.
>>
>>57804130
There are some very nice places, but the cities here range from bad to hell on earth.
>>
Success breeds jealousy desu
>>
>>57804335
What redeeming factors does this place have?
>>
It's not bad but crap drivers, crap roads, corrupt politicians (almost all politicians are but I guess worse here). MTV making that Jersey shore show was annoying because thats all other people mentioned.

Decent place to live though. Location is good too (NY is right there, DC and Boston are about 4 hours by road)
>>
I thought it was just some historical nonsense until I went there. NJ is literally the worst shithole on Earth outside of North Korea, China, and Myanmar. Depressing architecture, filthy streets, persistent poverty, rampant crime, government corruption... but all that pales in comparison to the blatant "go kill yourself" attitudes of every person you meet.
>>
Jersey is a nice state. It's just that there's a certain group of people who fully self identify as being "from Jersey". They're walking stereotypes but they're so proud of the stereotype that they go above and beyond to play the part. The result is a level of douchebag that could be categorized as mental illness.
>>
File: And It's 1 Mile From My House.jpg (51 KB, 645x415) Image search: [Google]
And It's 1 Mile From My House.jpg
51 KB, 645x415
Jersey boy here. I don't tend to keep up with any sort of current events or politics, so I can't really tell you about the nitty-gritty stuff. We're usually perceived as rude and bad at driving, our road system is confusing for people from out of state often, I hear.

There are so many bad places everyone talks about when mentioning NJ (Trenton, Newark, The Oranges, The Amboys, Rahway, Sayreville , etc.), that the good or decent places get glossed over (Hoboken, Tuckerton, much of the populated coastal area). From Point Pleasant myself, bretty gud tourist spot, live a mile from the beach, there's a big ass board walk in the borough adjacent to us, another one ten or so miles down the island.

Regarding NY, they do come here for summer fun and basically just shit on us while throwing money at us at the same time. The paid beaches at the boardwalks rake in money and they leave trash on it. Many teenagers in my town become a "beach boy" over the summer and work for $5/hour cleaning it up and getting people their chair/umbrella rentals, the wage is legal since it's a seasonal job, as well there are "tips." My town is generally a great suburb for families and a good one to raise children. We're like 99% white, you could count the black kids with two hands, three for latinos, four for Asians/Pacifics, this is for the whole school of ~800 kids.

Another downside to NJ is the cost of living, we have an extremely high rate of millennials living with their parents because of the price of housing versus the wages of all of the shitty jobs. I honestly wouldn't of known what to do had I not enrolled in uni, people who don't go look like savages half the time, in my area.

pic related, boardwalk near my home
>>
File: italian american.jpg (160 KB, 960x625) Image search: [Google]
italian american.jpg
160 KB, 960x625
Cause it has a bunch of Italian-Americans
>>
>>57803542
They were really corrupt and plastic spaghettis are fun to make fun of
>>
I went to Trenton once. They had some meme signs on the track over the bridge like "we so gud" -- proper shithole la.

Newark I think is the only place to be, and that's basically NYC suburbia right?
>>
>>57803879
No Benjamin Franklin got his son to be the colonial governor. Anything he said was for political reasons
>>
>>57807504
TRENTON MAKES - THE WORLD TAKES

dont insult my home city m8 i'll fuck u up
>>
>>57807444
New Jersey sounds almost identical to Connecticut desu
>>
>>57807534
LOL yes that's it, and I'm sure you would lad. Seems like a pretty hard place.
>>
>>57807534
>TRENTON MAKES - THE WORLD TAKES
of course, Trenton doesn't really make anything though, does it? That's kind of the problem.

>mfw went for ciggy waiting for connecting train and some tramps asked me where I was from
>england
>did you get the train from there?
>even his tramp mates were like s.m.h pham
>>
>>57807648
I'm sure the city government doesn't have the money to change the bridge to TRENTON MADE - THE WORLD TOOK
>>
>>57807696
#legaliseheroin #maketrentongreatagain
>>
>>57806619
>but all that pales in comparison to the blatant "go kill yourself" attitudes of every person you meet.
Yeah, we're really nasty people. It's weird to go to other parts of the country and see people being happy and nice.

>>57807504
>Newark I think is the only place to be, and that's basically NYC suburbia right?
You've obviously never been to Newark. It's a crime ridden hellhole.
>>
>>57803542
it's very scary, the natives are scary and even the ethnics look weird and foreign kind of scary
>>
>>57807464
Ding ding ding. This is the answer
>>
People from NJ who drive down here can't drive for shit.

This is coming from someone who lives in Florida. I fucking wish cops would pull over every car with a Jersey plate.
>>
>>57806619
>I thought it was just some historical nonsense until I went there. NJ is literally the worst shithole on Earth outside of North Korea, China, and Myanmar. Depressing architecture, filthy streets, persistent poverty, rampant crime, government corruption... but all that pales in comparison to the blatant "go kill yourself" attitudes of every person you meet.
>>57809519
Fucking this. Fuck new jersey drivers. Retards can't even pump gas
>>
File: tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png (93 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png
93 KB, 500x422
>>57809669
Every fucking giant RV that drives down here is from Ontario or Quebec. I can't see shit while they hog the highways.
>>
>>57809742
Same here, and I live in south Florida.
>>
>>57803542
Nobody hated New Jersey, before the Jersey Shore show came out on MTV. Now everyone seems to hate them.
>>
>>57809794
That's just completely wrong.
>>
I'm from and still live in Newark. Every bad thing you heard about it is true. Filthy, gang ridden, with crumbling infrastructure and burnt down houses on every block. Some neighborhoods look nice until you enter the houses and see the fucking mice and roaches at war with each other. The only good part about this place is that the police have been doing raids since the beginning of the year, sweeping scum off of the streets and they're trying to make downtown hospitable. The Ironbound is the only good part of Newark, but it's full of Italians and Portuguese people, so there's that. Trenton, Elizabeth, Jersey City, and Camden are just like Newark except a bit less desolate. Hoboken looks like a proper city.
>>
>>57809794
PA fag here
I hated you long before
>>
>>57809742
My bad senpai, I'm from NY, just in ON for travel
>>
>>57809519
Except that's statistically wrong

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/07/report-new-jersey-driving-among-best-in-country/
>>
>>57807648
Do you expect them to dismantle the signage or some shit? It's been there for 80 years. This country make shit anymore anyway.
>>
>>57809980
Why do you assume he's from New Jersey?

Just because you mention something doesn't mean you associate with it
>>
>>57809936
>Some neighborhoods look nice until you enter the houses and see the fucking mice and roaches at war with each other.
It would be a beautiful city if it weren't decaying. There's a lot of nice looking buildings there.
>>
>>57810506
Except Newark is seeing a good amount of development. and after Journal Square gets gentrified, Newark is next
>>
>>57803542
Their political choices, accents, food, and attitude are deplorable. Worse than California.
>>
>>57804198
The worst thing about camden isn't that it's a shithole, it's that everything closes at 4pm, even the bars.
>>
>>57803542

It's full of guidos.
>>
File: i've made a terrible mistake.png (342 KB, 432x444) Image search: [Google]
i've made a terrible mistake.png
342 KB, 432x444
>side with the king during the english civil war
>get rewarded with a shitty plot of land in the new world we got to name whatever we wanted
>chose to add new to our name
>get invaded and btfo by anti-monarchists
>the obnoxious faggot descendants of our plot of land refuse to use the "new" in their name and thus confuse search engine results for us forever
>>
>>57811967
Tbh New Jersey more relevant than Jersey.
>>
Cant go anywhere with out a toll road and traffic is a mightmare
>>
>>57803542
Imagine a place with all the bad parts of New York and none of the good parts
>>
New Jersey is worse than Old Jersey
>>
>>57810561
i honestly hope so. newark has a lot of potential but the crime is still a big problem
>>
I'm from no and still live here. The northern part. Do people really have that low of an opinion of us? I think people should understand a few things though. The first is we get a lot of immigrants especially Indians that we have one of the highest concentration s of them in the world. Same guys for Pols Russians, Koreans, bunch of Mexicans and south Americans and various other eastern euros. We also have a lot of people moving in from NYC but they are usually brown and think because it is the suburbs have some idealistic nonsense about it so they let their kids who act like they're hard because they're from Spanish Harlem run wild. Also we are called the garden state for a reason we do have a lot of rural land but you need to go further south and west to see it. Also look up Jackson whites they're our version of rednecks.
>>
>>57812908
> Do people really have that low of an opinion of us?
Yes. I cannot emphasize this enough. I have never met a 'person' from New Jersey who has an adequate understanding of how loathed and loathsome they really are.
>>
>>57812297
Literally this.
>>
>ITT: Fucking Moolies
Kill Yourselves
>>
>>57803542
It's just a meme, honestly. It's pretty shit, but it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It was just trendy to hate because of Jersey Shore, their annoying accents and attitudes (mainly from the shit parts), now it's trendy to hate California because "le liberal state" meme and I've noticed that the New Jerseyan hate has gone down a lot, while Californian hate has gone up. Same thing happened with Texas and Florida, it was trendy to hate Texas, then Florida, then New Jersey, and now California. Of course, it still exists, but it's not as much. This kind of stuff are memes made by New Englanders and people in the Pacific Northwest to make their state seem better than it is.

TL;DR it's the nicer states bullying New Jersey (and other states) because it's trendy and makes their state look better and they can say "hey, at least we don't live there amirite?"
>>
>>57804030
p - progapanda. antinewjewsey propaganda. Should we liberate them?
>>
>>57813451
Probably not, but you might be able to annex Brighton Beach if you can get a referendum going.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.