[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hangook saram, where are you at? It's Sunday, no school,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: skoreaflag.gif (9 KB, 452x302) Image search: [Google]
skoreaflag.gif
9 KB, 452x302
Hangook saram, where are you at? It's Sunday, no school, so stop lurking and get in here!
>>
dont make this embarrassing thread weabooshit
>>
안녕 세르비안 친구 ^^
>>
how hard would it be for a white person to find a job in korea? or even get a work permit

and not english teacher, I don't meet those requirements;w;
>>
File: 1440x900.jpg (327 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1440x900.jpg
327 KB, 1440x900
>>57664875
t. tsundere Kim
>>
>>57664875
Why would it be an embarrassing thread? I am genuinely interested in Korea and its people and culture, so I have some questions and want to hear opinions from the natives

>google "weeabooshit"
>word "weeaboo" connected to Japanese culture
>not relation at all to Korea
>>
>>57664906
Well hello to you too, Aussie friend (maybe expat Korean?) ^^
>>
File: Wm0GMVP.png (44 KB, 900x1361) Image search: [Google]
Wm0GMVP.png
44 KB, 900x1361
>>57665312
Just a Korean 교포;;

How is Korea viewed in Serbia? Serbia is rarely talked about in South Korea and last time I talked about Serbia to a Korean was for travel and stuff.
>>
Koreans aren't so lazy as Europeans. They are always working or studying.
>>
>>57665854
Well, as you expect, North Korea is more spoken about here than South Korea (mostly in the news, critics, condemning of human rights abuse etc),

South Korea comes up once in a while, mostly about praising its economic prowess and education levels, and I would say Koreans are viewed as smart and hard-working. There was a show about Asian countries a while back, and one episode was about S. Korea and how it has achieved all it has achieved etc. but also how people might get unhappy and become mindless slaves of the government in the future.

Which brings me to my questions (if you are willing to answer them, that is):

- What are the worst aspects of Korea and its people and culture? What are the things you just can't stand and would wish to change?

>vice versa

- What are the best things about Korea and its people and culture? What are the qualities you adore and love and would wish more cultures/countries had?

>I encourage ALL Koreans answer these, I will read everything
>>
Bumping in hope
>>
File: glorious_hwanguk_empire.jpg (327 KB, 819x394) Image search: [Google]
glorious_hwanguk_empire.jpg
327 KB, 819x394
>>57666249
These are what I can think of on the spot
>Worst aspects

We are very one sided on EVERYTHING. For example, all the Korean teens HATE the current president, and it's not okay to have a personal opinion. Think president Park is horrible? Okay you're cool. Think she's okay? Ilbe confirmed. Think she's good? Pro-Japanese commie scum confirmed. Talking about Roh Mu Hyun (Korean's 9th president). Think he's literally god? You're considered sane. Think he had some issues? Ilbe confirmed. Think he was bad? Fascist pro-imperialist nazi confirmed.

It's stupid. Even on the news (Korean articles are horrible), everything is so biased and one sided. I'd say because of this Koreans are easily manipulated. It's annoying to talk to a Korean especially when they are super biased. (Currently they are going through the 'trump is hitler, and we won't provide you reasons' phase in the news)

Also, it's super embarrassing to see interviewers ask foreign stars questions like "do u kno psy? do u kno kpop? do u snort kimchi? do u ejaculate to our glorious peninsula every day?" as if we're trying to get confirmation that we are relevant in the world.

Other bad things I don't like are plastic surgery (some grils are alright without it, but a lot of them still get it to become perfect), irrational hate to Japan (Comfort women, war crimes, okay fine. But don't make up stupid stereotypes and hate the general population for that bullshit) and etc.

>Best aspects

There's a fuck ton of stuff to do there (Probably a little bit of exaggeration because I live in NZ where there's shit all to do), like clubs, karaokes, parks and all those recreational shit are top notch. Korea is alive 24/7 so you'll never find yourself having nothing to do unless you're far out from the city. We have some good global companies and shiet with good work ethic. Pre cool culture I'd say until we start making shit up for glorious hwanguk empire. Most of us love our country unlike other people on the board.
>>
bump for korea
>>
>>57666031
why do you not do the same?
>>
>>57667728
Wow, an expansive answer, I like that.

>We are very one sided on EVERYTHING.
Hmmm, interesting. Is it hard to be individualistic in Korea? Can you live outside "the system"?

>biased media
This is also interesting. Are Koreans aware of this? How many speak up against bias in media?

>Other bad things I don't like are plastic surgery
Not gonna go into this one specifically, but rather generally. Maybe a month ago, I have read an article from a Korean sociologist (luckily in English, my Hangul skills are still weak) and he said that Korean society is becoming a "materialistic mess" (I think those were the words he used) and said how Koreans spend way too much on their appearance and image and that it will impact their spiritual life also. Any thoughts on this??

>There's a fuck ton of stuff to do there
>Korea is alive 24/7
>Most of us love our country
These three might go hand in hand. I am so jealous, as in a desolate dystopian Serbia you can't really do much anywhere, besides clubs and all that alcohol-YOLOSWAG-funfunfun culture. Being able to fill your day with activities or just go out anytime you want and finding something interesting to do must be very satisfying, in many ways. No wonder Koreans love their country (although probably not only for these reasons).

Also, how accepting are Koreans of foreigners? How are foreigners viewed in Korea? Any idea maybe how are Koreans viewed by the foreigners?

>takes too long to type this -.-
>>
I want a korean gf
>>
>>57668035
Japan has slaves from China and Korea :)
>>
>>57664875
사랑해 아저씨 <3
Or something.
>>
>>57664875
Annyeonghaseyo oppa, do you sarang me?
>>
>>57667728
i knew all of what you mentioned
kaikai trash ans such shitty sites have always translated all of that korean shit into japanese
i stopped reading anything korea related anymore for a reason though
>>57668543
what this korean guy is talking about is pretty accurate. it exactly describes the climate of korea.
>>
>>57668969
>what this korean guy is talking about is pretty accurate. it exactly describes the climate of korea.
Well, I speculated by myself that all that rapid improvement in technology and industry and economy had to take its toll somewhere. It was not until I started asking Koreans online (like here) that I got less blurred picture of Korea. Most of the things about Korea online, no matter how good or bad, are distorted and biased, and these people on forums and boards provide much more insight than articles written by "pros" and "bloggers"
>>
i'm back serbia
>>
>>57669474
Wonderful! Hope you got some good sleep.

Would you be so kind to provide some answers to the above questions? The more you write, the more I learn
>>
>>57668543
>Individualistic in korea
It's not common but there are special snowflakes from time to time. Newer generations have simillar political views, listen to the same music and watch the same tv shows. Since the media is one sided, people who find information online generally have simillar opinions on major events. You can live outside the system but some will shit on you for having opinions contradicting the general consensus.

>biased media
I realized this by seeing how media from other countries were very different to the ones in Korea, so I believe most of the Koreans who haven't experienced media outside their country won't be able to differentiate from truth to biased assumptions. I once commented on a fb post with a ridiculous photoshopped picture of president park (making her seem like shes doing something stupid), and I said we should focus on the real issues and not stupid gimmicks like this obviously shopped image and people were all angry about how it doesn't matter if the image is real or not because 'she's horrible anyways'. When an article is obviously absurd I see people speaking up for it but again it's always one sided (e.g. if it seems absurd, it MUST be false).

>Materialism
Korea is all about your 스펙 - your family history, wealth, looks, education etc. These stuff will get you anywhere in society. Tbqh, along with how I said its easy to manipulate Koreans, plastic surgery is advertised as the norm. I saw an advert on a bus with a quote "옆집언니도 수술했을껄?" Meaning 'the girl next door probably had surgery too'. Most are doing it because the others are doing it too, and if they don't they will 'fall behind' in 스펙.

>foreigners
Racist as fuck to SE asians, open to europeans and starting to open up to blacks. Still xenophobic but new generation seems to be more welcoming. A lot of foreigners think Korean girls are 'easy pickups'. The easy ones are the majority they see because most girls don't prefer foreigners here.
>>
>>57669549
>Can you live outside "the system"?
what's definition of ''the system'' ? i need more explanation.
>Are Koreans aware of this? How many speak up against bias in media?
korea have two kind of media
right wing biased media and left biased media
most of korean are aware of it
but some korean can't do it and become biased people they called 수꼴(suggol- right biased)
좌좀(jwazome- left biased)
they are animals that they can't thinking rationally
wait for other answer
>>
>>57670246
>what's definition of ''the system'' ? i need more explanation.
"The system" would mean government and social system. For example, can you say "Fuck all of this, I am going to the countryside to live on my own!", can you refuse that social and financial pressure and live on your own terms, not following what majority is going for?

>wait for other answer
I have a lot of patience, take your time
>>
File: reXGpAx.jpg (39 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
reXGpAx.jpg
39 KB, 301x267
Hey tanks for staying around and answering some questions. Obviously i got another one too:

When it goes about income and growth, you quite often hear (here at least), that loans in korea are stagnating / workers are exploited &ce.&ce.
But then again, every korean studys some kind of business shit or wants to be a doctor while the engineer are kinda underrepresented.
While i admit that being a doctor isn't that bad, why are so many koreans choosing a career that does look like so unpromising ?
>>
>>57669309
As far as Ive seen articles about Korea or Japan on that self-proclaimed "journalism" sites or blogs in English, most of them, especially "Asian something" sites, were heavily biased on something based on either nationalism or anti or else trash like myths around weeaboo stuff and weird discourses/news on the Japanese/Korean internet. All of them were just literally nothing more than yellow journalism.

But as this guy mentioned, any Korean media on the Korean internet is generally heavily one sided on something as well. At this point its difficult to get the articles/criticisms describing the actual peoples "feelings" in Korea without those biases, especially in English.

/int/ might be one of the better places to know about it and if you can get a good translator Korean users on twitter might be able to be another choice. Although anyway you should always be careful of believabilities of both negative and positive views of Korea regardless of whether the poster is Korean or Japanese or someone else.
>>
File: 다운로드 (2).jpg (5 KB, 122x90) Image search: [Google]
다운로드 (2).jpg
5 KB, 122x90
>>57670579

>Materialism
>this theme will be long story
>if you see my english has error pls tell me
I feel sad that most of korean pursuit wealth,social success,honor making they lose happiness of life can proivde.
young korean were educated by their parent who says you should go named university, chaebol companies and meet spouse that has a good condition
even more
they teach their children : the world is consist of
winner and loser
and young children trust blindly that there are only way to survive is competition
they hate their mum and dad
but children will become same parent :)
i will tell more about it
>>
Yo, I'm going to worst Korea for college, I heard it's brutal. My soon to be roommate told me to bring mescaline, whatever that is. Can you give me a heads-up on how to live through that?
>>
>>57671056
>All of them were just literally nothing more than yellow journalism.
That is why I open these threads. All the articles are either "highest suicide rates, peer pressure, economic growth slowing down" or "our beautiful utopian country, our language is one of a kind marvel, culture like nowhere else in the world, the best cuisine" I don't want to read that. Give me real people, real opinions, not biased provocations and circle-jerking.

>/int/ might be one of the better places to know about it
Agreed, even though I thought it would be counter-intuitive, so far the best responses (and some even surprising) have been from here
>>
>>57671324
Why are you going there
>>
>>57671477
College.
>>
>>57671217
>this theme will be long story
Feel free to write as much as you want

>if you see my english has error pls tell me
Your English is fine, all is understandable. Minor mistakes can be ignored because nitpicking is redundant

>the rest of your post
Man, this was not what I expected. Almost made me teary-eyed.

>i will tell more about it
Please continue
>>
>>57671008
Because in this materialistic society, those jobs are nailed into our culture as the most stable well-respect and high paying jobs. What surprised.me was thst New Zealanders respect occupations like builders and painters and kids are not shamed to say their parents belong in theae jobs. They are also completely fine with students not going to uni. Korea however is essential for students to all go to uni and have a non-labour rated job tk be truly respected. It sucks but it's how it is. Engineering isn't looked too down upon expecially fields in IT etc. The stuff from your study may be because of the old day stigma saying engineering includes jobs like mechanics, welders and repairmen.

>>57671374
Glad to answer these questions, but also remember all the answers from /int/ including mine has a little bit of personal bias, so make sure to make your own conclusions. Reading different articles even with polarizing information still should help you provide a better understanding as long as you keep an eye out for any ridiculous bias.
>>
>>57671498
I dont understand

You are going in college in Korea?
Why?
No college in Philippines ?
>>
>>57671217
ㅠㅠ 부폐사회 참 좆같네요
그래도 항상 깨어있으시고 힘내세요

Alright was fun talking to all of you. Gonna go to sleep for now, hope the thread lasts a bit longer
>>
File: d0138062_4f0c0466781c5.jpg (119 KB, 480x329) Image search: [Google]
d0138062_4f0c0466781c5.jpg
119 KB, 480x329
>>57671217
this trend retroact to AD 1392
at that time korean old dynasty has been changed by new dynasty that called josen
and josen's main ideology is Confucianism
so the new dynasty want to make anyone who has good ability become a noble
this new noble called yangban
but this status is not based on blood
but based on 'ability'
>>
>>57671614
Sure, I will keep that in mind. It is more likely that I will get an honest answer here than from an article from a "journalist", because this is anonymous board and all. But some things I have read here are invaluable, and, in my opinion, very hard to find anywhere online. Here, people are anonymous and more likely to tell the truth and talk about the topics of Korea that are not widely discussed.

Still, thanks for the advice.

>>57671793
Insight into history, very good. I am starting to make some (limited) sense of this now
>>
>>57671793
and 'this' make a problem
>anyone who has good ability become a noble
is sound great
status for korean became always changeable
and this trend make a extreme competition
everyone even slaves want to be a yangban
but every people cannot be winner understandably
and learning become a tool for social success
>>
>>57672183
there are no nations without competition
but case of korea is quite different
i think korea is only a nation that 'everyone' never be satisfied,their present situation
>>
>>57671324
There's plenty of you guys here youll be fine
>>
>>57671614
Na, it's more from the view that koreans that got here are almost always something business related, but then start to complain about lacking job availability, it's insane to watch them.

Then again, the korean engineers are pretty chill guys, but they often don't seem to be so proud of themselves like the other guys do.

Of course, this only reflects my personal impression from the local exchange students, so thanks for giving some insight.
>>
>>57672183
More insight, keep it up Koreanbro
>>
File: 1445211615846.png (16 KB, 362x324) Image search: [Google]
1445211615846.png
16 KB, 362x324
>>57667728
Shut it down this man knows too much

sad to say you're on point
>>
>>57672507
only difference between past and now is ideology
now our main ideology is capitalism
and this combine with Confucianism
>>
>>57671324
Dear God, do NOT bring mescaline to Korea. Jesus Christ man, you will end up in jail!
>>
>>57672607
if education not changed
this nation fall in ethernal night
>>
>>57672586
Lets hear your take on these questions, the more the merrier.

I would also like to thank all Koreanbros who have contributed to this thread. I will be here the whole day, waiting patiently for you input. Your words are much appreciated.
>>
>>57672703
even ordinary korean don't know Confucianism is
in their mind always
but paradoxically they hate Confucianism
it seems self hate
>>
>>57672620
What about it?
>>
>>57672607
>>57672703
>>57672868
WOOOOOOOOW

I did not think those problem come from a looong time ago, this is getting more and more interesting
>>
>>57672956
Read this very carefully:

Mescaline is highly hallucinogenic drug, somewhat like LSD. 0.00000001 grams of it could land you in jail, because ALL drugs are illegal in Korea, even I know this. Being in jail in a foreign country is really, really bad, you will not like it. Tell your roommate that you can't find mescaline, or that it is not available in Philippines, or something, just don't do it man. Please listen to me
>>
>>57672868

I gonna go full dumb mode here:

What is this Confucianism that so many koreans live, as they're quite obviously not going to the temples every second day,

And why do they it so much ?
>>
>>57673088
Okay, okay. Fine. How do you know this?
>>
>not following what majority is going for?
every small and big problems are connected to other problems
the way to success is only one way
go named university and join chaebol companies or be a high-income professional job
such as lawyer,docter
choose another route of life is life-gamble
>>
>>57673289
For the sake of this post, I will assume you are not trolling.
>If you are, hats off to you, sir

Here is how I know this:
>psychology degree, we learn about all drugs there are on Earth
>that is how I know what mescaline is
>drugs are illegal almost everywhere
>mescaline is a drug
>therefore, you go to jail for having mescaline with you

Watch out, Pinoybro. Maybe your to-be roommate is trying to set you up or get to drugs with you taking all the risk for him.
>>
>>57671324
>roomate tells you to bring drugs in korea of all places

Sure sound like you got a great roomate
Just don't do it man it's not worth it. Stick to cigarettes and alcohol like everybody else. Why would you risk so big for something like that.
>>
File: 다운로드 (3).jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
다운로드 (3).jpg
11 KB, 300x168
>>57673232
>not going to the temples every second day,
> you understand that Confucianism is kind of >religion such as catholic
>Confucianism is more likely to philosophy
we are going to the temples everyday
because modern temple of Confucianism
is school and acadamy
>>
>>57673232
Confucianism isn't really a religion in many sense of the term. You don't really go to any temples. It's more a set of rules that regulate life and social relations/behaviour. it's been the dominant doctrine in the country for a really long time and as such is deeply ingrained in society
>>
>>57673406
>the way to success is only one way
>choose another route of life is life-gamble

I can't believe what I am reading here. Can't even type
>>
>foreigners
this is smiliar to case of japan
if you re tourist in korea, everyone welcome for your visit
but once you settle in korea, their attitude will be changed
>>
>>57674116
Again, an unexpected answer. Go on, teacher
>>
until now
I say only bad things about korea
but there are movement of fixing this country recently
korean also human and they know something going wrong
may be, next generation change this old tradition as previous generation make this deadly poor to rich
as in past years, we have shown rapid change to world
>>
>>57674260
foreigner is simple
so i don't have telling anything about that :)
>>
>>57674116
>>57674260
Not my experience. I speak korean decently so maybe I'm a special case but I haven't had much problems with being a foreigner here.
A few old people give me bad looks but who cares they're just old.
Maybe foreigners who don't speak korean have it worse I dunno. I feel like if you're gonna live here long term you ought to speak korean anyway
>>
>>57674480
hahahaha I know :) I meant go on with whatever you want to write, I happily read everything.

>>57674431
Ah, I was waiting for this. I knew this had to happen. Koreans are not dumb, they see what is going on. Good to see there is some initiative to change bad things, makes the future look a little brighter.
>>
>>57674579
Hmmm, this is interesting. Maybe, if you are willing to immerse (hope I used that word right) yourself in Korean culture (eg. learn Korean language), Koreans give back by accepting and nourishing your assimilation? I will have to look more into this.

Also, glad to see a foreigner in Korea chime in. Where are you originally from?
>>
>>57674741
France
>>
I'm going to bed
I enter the 4chan on weekend
hope to see you later
>>
>>57674780
Why did you go to korea ?

>>57674958
Good nigth, thanks for staying around, man!
>>
>>57674958
Good night Koreabro, and thank you very much for the useful knowledge you have provided. Hope to talk again
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.