[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so many more fat people in America than other countries?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: 4e.jpg (89 KB, 1210x908) Image search: [Google]
4e.jpg
89 KB, 1210x908
Why are there so many more fat people in America than other countries? Where did everything go wrong?
>>
really cheap shitty food
>>
super cheap processed food

blacks and mexicans being counted as "people"
>>
>>57639479
Sugar. Also, obesity is a huge problem elsewhere in the world as well.
>>
Euros are catching up to us.
>>
High fructose corn syrup
>>
>>57639743
Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. And yes, they are responsible for the growing obesity around the world.
>>
Too many Mexicans.
>>
All the cheap junk food. There's a cookie that has 400 calories and I forgot how many grams of fat. A box of 8 costs ~$4.
>>
What's funny is at least our food is good enough to indulge in and get fat off of. Meanwhile the UK is also fat except their food is shit so they have no excuse for being obese lol
>>
>>57639479
Cheap food.
Corn subsidies make HFCS so stupidly cheap that they can put it in everything.
>>
>>57639834
>Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing.

That's not correct at all.
>>
>>57640260
It is. HFCS has fructose and glucose separated. Sugar has them bonded together. However this bond can be easily broken by digestive enzymes. So, yes, it is pretty much the same thing.
>>
You think it's only a problem in America? Everyone else is beginning to catch up.
>>
>>57639531
>>57639565
>>57639584
This, its becoming global problem, murica thing is more meme but USA is somehow retard.
Also this>>57639621

Serbia is also becoming obesity country but its more related with alcohol and fats. USA consume a lot of sugar.
Internet, social networkds, lazyines, office jobs, cars...those are also factors and reasons people are poor health and fat, muscles are inactive and outcome is answer to your question.

But even after you include all of those, USA is killing it, just dont know why soo much obesity, its a litlle too much t bh.
>>
>>57641643
Well, sugar is super cheap in the US, so the thing is on absolutely everything. Also, they started getting fat earlier, so of course they are more obese then the rest of the population.
>>
All the food is full of sugar and fat. That makes you fat. Simple as that.

My sister is studying abroad in the USA and the diet change made her gain 20kg, she literally couldn't do anything about it because she didn't want to be rude and refuse the food her family offers her.
>>
There's way too much sugar.
>>
>>57642147
Yep. Too much sugar, not enough fiber.
>>
Sugar has replaced cocain in food to make people addicted
>>
>In 1975 just 19% of Brazilian men and 29% of Brazilian women were overweight: In 2014 those figures are now 54% and 48% respectively.
>"In Brazil, being thin is associated with poverty, so culture has accepted being heavier as a desirable trait," says Uauy. This dramatic change in food culture has made cardiovascular disease and stroke the leading cause of death in the country according to Uauy -- followed closely by diabetes.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/09/health/beating-the-bulge-brazil-obesity/

>Alarmingly, more than half of Brazil’s population has become overweight, compared to 43% in 2006.
>“If Brazil’s does not change its ways, it could be the most obese nation in the next 15 years”.
http://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-on-track-to-be-most-obese-in-world-2015-10

>Only 15 percent of Brazilian adults are active in their free time. The Economist revealed a study this week that showed that Brazilians are among the most sedentary in the world – even more than Americans. Over 40 percent of Brazilian men and over 50 percent of Brazilian women get insufficient exercise, the study says. With record sales of cars, TVs, and computers, it's getting easier to avoid exercise.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/Latin-America-Monitor/2012/0730/Supersized-Brazil-Obesity-a-growing-health-threat
>>
>>57642740
Yes. And this is going to do terrible things to our economy. A huge part of the tax payer money goes to the treatment of metabolic diseases. We need to cut back on the sugar ***NOW***
>>
>>57642922
That doesn't make anyone any money tho
>>
>>57643006
Well, it's more money the state has to spend.
>>
>>57639479
they cant eat vegetables. not because of money but because they all just hate it like kids
>>57639584
not really.
>>
>>57639565
Why is it always white people that are the fattest of the fattest? I mean, I've never seen a black or Mexican weigh over 700lbs.
>>
File: worlds-fattest-man.jpg (280 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
worlds-fattest-man.jpg
280 KB, 1180x787
>>57643711
You haven't looked far enough. This guy died couple of years ago.
>>
>>57643711
I've never seen any white obese people. I have seen a bunch of obese nigger planets though.

I guess you could say..I gravitate towards them..
>>
>>57643994
shitty joke.
>>
>>57641783
Sugar is cheap everywhere dude!
Sugar like product is cheaper than watter, maybe its not but you got my point.
Problem is Americans use waay too much of that, in Serbia for example no one cares that much about sweet things, no one buys candies, pancakes, deserts.... I saw that thing in Italy and France also, Greek also and Balkan.
When I buy burger I usualy dont drink anything with it (not beacuse I dont have money but its the way it is). When I drink something it is Beer or Soda Water (extreamly popular here, 2nd most popular after Coca Cola).
But Americans buy Milk Shake with Cheesburger (some big double one) and fries, I guess no one does it, take a soda watter or coke or beer or just water or nothing. After that its almost mandatory to eat some pankakes or cake, we skip that also.
Somethings like eating sandwich and chips is only american thing, when they drink coffee they drink 0,5Litter banna chocolate coffee with cream and 10 spouse of sugar in it?!?! We drink espresso.
When I order Coca cola I use 1can 0,33dl but in USA you got 1litter for same price.
Even fruit salads in restourants are full of sugars and chocolate and some sweet cream, its nice but its not fucking fruit, you just make another cancerous meal.
I speak as a person that traveled Europe and my 3friends living in USA are telling me that, they have much bigger expirience than average /int/ user about world and cultures.
Also sugar is used in bums there and bakery products (in Europe its big NO).
I was also interested in this subject so I tried to contribute.
>>
>>57644297
>Also sugar is used in bums there and bakery products

This is even worse when you realize bread is basically sugar too, so it's just sugar upon sugar
>>
>>57640169
Have you not tried fish and chips, or curry
>>
>>57644297
Yes, it is. But it is cheaper in the US. It became cheap first in the US.
And here's the thing: Sugar is fucking everywhere. Like EVERYWHERE. Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, bread, bbq sauce, dipping sauce, doritos... It's everywhere. Completely unavoidable unless you stop eating processed food.
Also, soda is fucking terrible for you.

>>57644612
Well, yes, but bread has glucose. Glucose is mostly fine. The japanese eat it with rice and they live real long. The problem is fructose. It can only be processed by the liver, and when the liver process fructose, it becomes sick.
>>
Which costs more and takes more effort; a cheeseburg deluxe from mcdonald or a chicken breast from the store
>>
>Ultra processed food literally everywhere.
>People think that diet is something you do to lose weight, instead of your daily nutrient intake.
>People also have stigma about counting calories.
>People think that being thin is bad. Either you are belly fat normie that is not confident enough to take his shirt off, or a roided subhuman, there's no in-betweens for what people think is good looking.
>public and private schools let children eat whatever the fuck they want, I know we live in a free economic system, but giving your children high fructose beverages and sugar added cereal bars instead of a home made breakfast is literally telling your children to be fat mongoloids.
>>
>>57644673
>It's everywhere.
Yeah I know...I eat fish, water, vegetables and I eat junk food also but i got some control.
>Soda
I mean soda watter, like mineral water with bubbles, 0 calories watter. Not soda drinks.
>>57644612
Yeah I know, there are some alternatives but something is sure that we are all going to eat american garbage in 10years.
>>
>>57645141
Yep, that's pretty much it.

>>57645158
Ohh, okay. That's fine.
And I hope not. There are some real intelligent people working on a sugar ban or control.
>>
My uneducated guess it's because everything is cheap and in huge portions, we drive everywhere because so spread out. And idk if this is accurate but I feel like physical labor jobs are far fewer than office jobs. Office work is really easy to get fat because you sit all day and it's boring so you snack.
>>
When overcoming the issue of keeping hunger crises out of the new super country built by separatist European elites™, some steps were taken to make food available to all people regardless of how much money they made. In doing so, they stated making these foods that are only food by technicality. The shit that gets left over from making real foods for real people is still edible but it lacks nutrients. So they artificially add vitamins, fats and sugar to make "food" (junk food) that can keep people alive and give them food energy so it's approved by the FDA for human consumption.

This shit tends to be pretty inexpensive but it also doesn't taste so good so artificial flavoring is added to these things to make them palatable. This is where the problems come from. They make the foods taste really good, sometimes too good, so people can actually get addicted to pigging out on the junk food. This is a serious issue because junk food is so processed that the body doesn't have to do much internally to break it all down and remove the fats, added vitamins and simple carbs. The body can't turn it all into usable energy slowly like it would normally do with fresh, normal plants and meats so the excess energy gets stored into the body as fat and all the garbage gets shotgunned into massive waste turds.

People actually choose the junk food over real food since it tastes better and needs no preparation outside of maybe microwaving or just buying it at a fast food place and they shovel this down until their bellies are at capacity since it tastes so good. Of course there's no way they can burn all this junk off quickly enough. Repeat this for every meal, even snacking between meals, and eventually you get mobility scooter quality fatasses.
>>
>>57641875
That's a pretty tough situation.

>n-no please no more food i don't want to became disgusting fat fuck like you
>>
>>57645412
The rest of the world is getting fat as well.

>>57645454
It's the fucking sugar, honey.
>>
>>57639743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

pretty much this
>>
>>57645704
Sugars, fats, and "enriched" flours, yes. Simply removing the sugars from the diets would not be enough to rectify the issue though. There's still the other simple carbs, processed meats and sprayed on fats to worry about.

t. guy whose female family members are all nutritionists
>>
ray kroc and the cold war
>>
>>57642740
>"In Brazil, being thin is associated with poverty, so culture has accepted being heavier as a desirable trait,"
lol
biggest bullshit I've read in a while. I've never met anyone EVER that thought like that. shit tier garbage study.
>>
>>57646083
This was literally true of Europe at one point.
>>
>>57643994
>I've never seen any white obese people.
Do you injure yourself often from walking around with your eyes shut?
>>
>>57645865
Removing the sugar would be a huge step towards the right direction.
>>
>>57646247
It's a step but unnecessary one. All people need to do is stop eating junk food altogether and make their own meals from raw ingredients. Like European countries (excluding the UK) tend to do. No added sugars this way too unless it's some personal taste.
>>
>>57646486
Well.. Yes. Everybody knows that. And guess what? It ain't working.
>>
>>57639479
I think Mexico beats America for obese people.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-takes-title-of-most-obese-from-america/
>>
In Switzerland we fatshame each other after every larger meal. It's perfectly accepted to talk about feeling fat, hitting the gym or fasting the next day(s) in presence of the diners and cooks.

That's why we get the lowest rate in Yurop.
>>
Exercising is a giant pain. I'd rather post on /int/.
>>
>>57646589
You have the logic of a woman, no offense.

Here in the USA, trans fats were outlawed... yes, this happened. Someone up top was thinking the same way you did. They figured that if they let people continue to be gluttons while removing the top fattening offender in junk foods that people would magically become slimmer. It didn't work for obvious reasons but for some reason, people want the peace of mind in thinking that because there's one less ingredient that it makes it's ok to keep eating non foods.
>>
>>57639479
America isn't that obese, is a stereotype WE made in our own borders
>>
File: 1443590365177.png (58 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1443590365177.png
58 KB, 256x256
>>57647035
>America isn't that obese
>>
>>57646884
They removed transfats because of CVD, not because of obesity.
>>
More like everything went right.
America hit a post-food-scarcity environment earlier than the rest of the world thanks to its status as the leading use of industrialised farming, its developed commercial markets for food and its relatively high incomes. Humans are not designed for living in a world of easy calories and they were the first wider society to experience the inverse consequence of not starving.
>>
>>57646884
This issue with trans fats are how they effect the body's cholesterol levels mate, not because there are fat people with poor self control
The hue is right about sugars playing a major role in fattening people though, quite a bit of the obesity in this country could be alleviated by people simply not drinking soda/ cutting out unnecessary sugars but in the end that comes down to the individual
>>
>>57647182
>mate

>>57647154
All a theory like this requires is some real world practice. Just putting something like this into effect will prove more than any amount of arguing every will and, to that end, it's something that needs to be implemented, even if just for the sake of research. I stand with the school of thought that contends that this is not would not even begin to be enough to solve the issue but without real world proof, it will continue to only be a theory. Eliminating the insane amounts of sugars from foods is definitely a good thing but, sugar or no, the foods that would have it removed are still garbage foods.
>>
>>57647734
I have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
no idea. I'm skinny so why should I give a shit. don't give a fuck about other amercans
>>
>>57648222
They cost money. Also, nice trips.
>>
>>57639479
You have delicious and cheap junk food. Almost impossible not to get fat.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.