[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (134 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.png
134 KB, 384x384
/int/
How did you learn English?
>>
>>57572695
school
>>
>>57572695
Exposure to media during childhood, primarily through British cartoons, American movies...plus 10 years of English classes (school)
>>
>>57572695
went to a tutor from 6 y/o to 13, then it was just watching subtitled channels, music, reading and internet
>>
German here

I got taught the basic grammar in school.

Most words I learned through consuming media.
TV shows, games, movies, etc.

I also learned a ton through all the years I spent on 4chan.
>>
>>57572794
>British cartoons
Really? Which ones?
>>
>>57572695
School, Grammar/Vocabulary in Use, and BBC learning English. You could have a trouble learning English. I've been struggling too.

By the way, there's a new theory, "Learn English through English". That is to say, "don't learn it by translating".
And listen to audio (video) and read books more.
>>
Learned it before i was 10 through story heavy video-games, not proud of it though.
Got good at it here on 4chan.
>>
School, anime subtitles in english, and english translated visual novels
>>
I consider myself good in english but for some reason I can't catch some words while listening someone in english

Also, I'm good at writing but shit at talking

What can I do?
>>
>>57572695
I'm still learning English.
>>
Seinfeld
>>
>>57573034
I can't remember much...Danger mouse, Dennis, Rupert Bear, even the Johnny Quest I watched was with a British accent
>>
I've ever started a similar thread to OP's, but little people have replied lol.
It's good that people have replied much to him.
>>
>>57573282
Ah nice, Dennis the Menace was pretty fun back in the day.
>>
>>57573237
Move to an English speaking country, The only way to become truly fluent and understand everything about a language is to live where that language is spoke, because then you're forced to get better.
>>
>>57572695

not sure, I've just always known it
>>
>>57573504
These cartoons are the reasons I speak like a mix between American and British. Some people say I sound Irish with my "t's" and "d's"
Kill. Me.
>>
It's impossible for me to express my thoughts fully in English. Speaking or writing in English make me frustrated, because I think everything in Japanese.
>>
>>57572695
I studied.
>>
My mother spoke it to me.
>>
File: IMG_2245.jpg (80 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2245.jpg
80 KB, 640x430
>>57573575
>live where that language is spoke

*spoken
>>
>>57573657
Do you sound Irish?
>>
pirated video games
>>
>>57573723
same 2bh, but for other languages. I always have to internally/mentally translate everything to English when trying to speak or write in another language. I'll never make it.
>>
>>57573657
>a mix between American and British
Tbf, that's probably the best accent for speaking to non-native speakers. Too much American or British accent and people will have a hard time understanding you.
>>
>>57573837
My "r"s are a mixture between English and Slavic, rolling "r" (depends on the word, since I can't control my pronunciation all the time - be conscious about it all the time, that is)
My "I's" are sound like "oi's"
My "d's" and "t's" are kind of mushy, soft
Some people say I sound like those movie characters in American movies that are Irish
>>
I learn my English from shitposting on /brit/.
>>
Kek
I can barely understand Aftican-Americans

I don't know if anyone has the same problem
>>
>>57574074
No one can really understand ebonics
>>
>>57573237
>I can't catch some words while listening someone in English
>shit at talking
Try to interact with more native English speakers
I know a few foreigners at uni and they have all said they feel like their English has improved dramatically since living in the UK.
I think it also helps living somewhere that has a strong accent. My uni is in the North West and a lot of the students and staff are local. The foreign student's I've talked to say that they initially had a super hard time because they all thought that everyone in the UK spoke like they did in Downton Abbey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ckQJetRws
This guy grew up in the same region as where I am right now, but Lancashire is known for having a slightly different accent 30 minutes down the road.
>>
>>57573723
I know your feeling, but we can't do anything.
And people on the chess threads of 2ch think that being good at English is right.
I've been trying it after a fashion, but it indisposes for me.
>>
>>57573575
>Move to an English speaking country

FUCK
YOU
>>
>>57572695
London is the capital of great britain.
>>
>>57573657
>the mid-Atlantic accent is dead

just fucking end it
>>
>>57572695
Internet.
>>
>>57573826
in all fairness, he probably made a typo

it happens to the best of us
>>
i learned playing runescape
>>
>>57572695
playing crpg
>>
>>57574171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ
>>
online games
>>
File: 1404416673378.jpg (50 KB, 450x387) Image search: [Google]
1404416673378.jpg
50 KB, 450x387
>>57572695
some basics from kids show Muzzy on Channel 1. Back then we had only 2 TV channels...
Then by playing videogames, in later years also by watching anime
Also by reading and posting on the internet. I understood it well enough at that point, but had issues using it on my own.
>>
>>57572695
Je n'ai jamais apprendre l'anglais.
>>
>>57574473
online games ne lan çomarrr
>>
>>57574441
Based
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.