[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Duolingo a good way to learn a language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 468298_v1.jpg (44 KB, 350x271) Image search: [Google]
468298_v1.jpg
44 KB, 350x271
>>
Me on the left
>>
It's good but not the best
>>
>>57485564
Don't you ever fucking reply to one of my thread again unless you have something of value to contribute mother fucker
>>
I want to fluently learn a language no one else knows how to speak, like klingon
>>
>>57485535
I think it's a good way to start learning a language. It gives you simple sentences to translate, and the sentences become more complicated. However I've never actually completed a language on Duolingo so I'm not sure.
>>
It is good for practising your skills. You have to study seperately from it.
>>
>>57485690
Why?
>>
>>57485634
You in the middle
>>
>>57485564
me on the right :3
>>
>>57485690
They are currently making a Klingon one
>>
>>57485981
:333
>>
Is the Esperanto on duolingo ok? I'm doing it but I don't know how to compare to other tools.
>>
>>57485535
>implying Anglos don't suck balls at learning languages.

You can't handle the accents lad.
>>
I tried to learn german on Duolinguo but it was too damn boring.
So I gave up
>>
>>57486463
I'm half Latino, I just didn't grow up in a Spanish speaking household
>>
tfw Duolingo has no Latin option
>>
No. It's crap.

Best way is through a variety of methods.

Use some listening tapes, not Rosetta stone though (it's shit); Michel Thomas and Assimil are pretty good.

Alternate those with reading childrens books and watching childrens TV shows, until your vocabulary and comprehension of grammar gets good enough to read more complex stuff.

Get an online buddy who you can talk and practise with, and you can send them any writing you've done for them to correct.
>>
>>57486463
This

Motherfuckers can't ever get rid of that stupid pronunciation of letters like R and L
>>
>>57485535
>>57487090
It's not crap. People fail to ask the question every single fucking time they come here for answers. "Is X good for studying/gaining fluency...". It's supposed to be "Is X a good SUPPLEMENT for learning a language"

Yes, it's interesting and a good supplement for building a "situational" vocabulary. It teaches you verbs as well as "corresponding" (as you learn, you get to piece these grammatical puzzles) nouns and adjectives, equipping you with a very descriptive vocabulary. It's not good for learning vocabulary in general, but it's good nevertheless

Also, a good question to ask is "Which language?" Portuguese, for example, doesn't have a good Duolingo course, but French has. It's simply more elaborate because it's worked on for a longer time now

>>57486923
Memrise has Latin, and Memrise is a better vocabulary option than Duolingo. Search "Lexicity" (my favourite website on the entire Internet) and find Latin in the menu-panel. The next panel will lead you to vocabulary and grammar resources. The upper ones are usually the most relevant ones. If not, it's clearly indicated on your right
>>
>>57486198
>>57485690

That's fucking stupid. During ST's peak maybe it would've been lolSOOOnerdy but ST is dead now. JJ's movies are just normy trash now
>>
>>57487093
It takes practice. They're not at a disadvantage with all languages
>>
I use it on the train. I'm better at spanish than I would be if I just sat on my ass and didn't try and learn it.
>>
So after how much Duolingo should I start watching Spanish shows?
>>
>>57487721
after finishing the course twice
>>
>>57487480
I guess it can be useful in combination with the other methods I wrote about.

But I have known multiple people to try and learn languages SOLELY by Duolingo alone, which doesn't work at all because it's just flashcards.

It's crap at teaching verb conjugation or complex grammatical rules. It's good for refreshing things you've already learned.

But then again, what do I know. I'm an autist who learned Russian grammar by just looking at those fucking awful tables of suffixes and prefixes.
>>
>>57487813
What? Really?
>>
>>57488269
mhm. Duolingo is that shit
>>
What should I do in supplement with duolingo to learn french? I feel like it never really tells me the rules of the language sometimes.
>>
>>57488140
It's not crap with teaching verbs because it doesn't teach them at all. It wants to incentivize you to click on the verb and find the conjugation yourself. And then, if you can't discern patterns and see why the specific verb responds differently with other vowels and whatnot, you have to use Google. Why I agreed on "good" with Google is the immersion and discussion part. After an average of 6-7 levels, it encourages you to immerse yourself by reading linear texts, which you can expand on, correct, whatever you like. "Contribute". Be it news articles or wikipedia. The gem is this "linear" way of reading, where you have the English translation on your right, but you still have the "hover over" option on the text left, which gives you a perspective on word order. It's for the more adventurous ones...
If you're past 5 years of age and want to learn something through game, I have bad news for you (not addressing you specifically). You can't learn a language through games like Duolingo
But utilizing more vocabulary learning methods is always good. Especially the "immersion" tab in Duolingo, once you feel more confident
>>
>>57488695
get a grammar book. reading the comments could help you too
reading light books and newspapers could help as well, don't try to read complicated Sartre books from the start. but yeah books and newspapers should help you more than tv and songs
>>
>>57488695
Collins Easy Learning French Grammar
"Assimil French" on torrents
http://www.qcfrench.com/learn/ for shorter - "sparkchart" like grammar points
>>
>>57488140
the thing is... it depends on what is the best method for you to learn. I learn much more by practicing than from learning rules and taking classes, so that's why for me is just perfect, I still look for rules and advices just to strengthen my progress
>>
NO

Don't waste your time, it's a scam.
>>
>>57489886
>scam
>free
I don't think you know what a scam is
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.