[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain how the Irish famine happened? I just don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: irishfamine.png (257 KB, 696x906) Image search: [Google]
irishfamine.png
257 KB, 696x906
Can someone explain how the Irish famine happened? I just don't understand.
>>
>>57477941
The Irish couldn't quite figure out the fishing pole and kept throwing the stick end.
>>
Most landowners decided it was more profitable to export it all.
The blight hit most of Europe, so there was plenty of demand.
>>
>>57478118

But why did the Irish die? Was it simply a mass suicide? Why didn't they just.........fish.
>>
>>57477941
i'm sure not everyone lived so close to the sea. maybe they starved to death before they could reach the sand
>>
>>57478149
During their spare time? They still spent most of their time working the land.
>>
>irish are dirt poor
>pretty much exclusively farm potatoes due to poor soil
>blight happens
>English landowners dont give a shit
>landowners still export food, still dont give a shit about their serfs
>the english try to stop foreign donations from helping the irish
>fast forward 200 years
>still have half the population you had 200 years ago
>>
Hard to get food from the land when you're not allowed to own land in your own country

Also GB heavily encouraged the Irish to leave for America, since it cost the Brits no money compared to famine relief, and because they hated America

Which is why it's hard to understand why Britanons are so pissed about our large Mick population now. They figuratively set up a system of clearing the island and then dumping the bastards on us
>>
>>57477941
A fungus specific to the species of potato grown in Ireland destroyed the crop nationwide. Then a bunch or Protestants in England who hated that the Irish were Catholic decided that the Irish deserved it and made the situation worse by banning foreign aid from entering Ireland.
>>
Indirect genocide.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_farm_subdivision
English land owners sold the majority of fishmongers product to the continentals. Also blocked foreign aid.
>>
>>57478902
lies.
>>
>>57478902
Irish land owners m8

>>57478521
We didn't do a very good job, 200k of them emigrated to England
>>
File: received_474855496042580.jpg (106 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
received_474855496042580.jpg
106 KB, 720x960
>>57478902
And it worked like a dream. Truly we are greatest civilisation to grace this earth.
>>
>>57479141
>Irish land owners m8
then the pira were british
>>
>>57478902
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_farm_subdivision

Well played UK
>>
>>57479141
>Nigel Winterbotham the proud Irishman.
>>
Irishmen weren't allowed to own a boat and fishing rods would be extremely expensive for a poor person. Even if you did get the fishing rod,no landlord would let you fish on their land.
>>
>>57479258
honestly, memes aside, mentally I still consider Southern Ireland as part of the UK "spiritually" or whatever. So I accept that logic.
>>
>>57479163
The conquerors of farmers, spear chuckers, poo in loos and abos. Congrats m8.
>>
>>57479163
>tfw all the Libtards of uk went to Canada.
>>
>>57477941
The English liked potatoes very much so they went to Ireland to buy some potatoes.
The Irish sold all their potatoes to the English and no potatoes were left to feed themselves.
>>
>>57477941
Why don't Ireland sue Britain for the genocide? 20% of population died.
>>
>>57479435
The salt is real in this one. Makes sense to attack the weak for the best land and mineral resources paddy! But hey what would you know about being great!
>>
>>57479655
wtf I hate Russia now
>>
>>57479682
t. Hussein al adaiya
>>
File: M0M9a5x.png (347 KB, 1360x769) Image search: [Google]
M0M9a5x.png
347 KB, 1360x769
>>57479682
>what would you know about being great!
More than you lad.
>>
>>57479771
Then why do we see so many degenerate Fenians moving to the mother country for work? That GDP is a result of low corporation tax meaning you and your broke government will see none of it.
>>
File: bean.gif (1 MB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
bean.gif
1 MB, 555x555
>>57479761
Still angry about the Opium Wars, Ching Chong?
>>
>>57479999
quads confirm. having a few foreigners working in dublin while the natives all roll around in the mud, drunk, betting on pikey steeplechases doesn't constitute greatness.
>>
>>57479999
What's that Nigel? I can't hear you over the sound of all this money.
>>
>>57480154
>things bitter poor people say
>>
>>57480265
is it easy to get neetbux there? (seriously)
how much neetbux do you get?

I know UK/Irish citizens are treated as citizens for most purposes in each respective country..
>>
>>57480174
I beg your pardon! I couldn't here over the sound of actual jobs! Also your "state" is so shit-tier that no one speaks your national language. But if you enjoy living in a gypsy ridden tax havan... I guess each to their own, paddy!
>>
>>57479771
Where did the "norway was poor before the oil" meme come from? Jelly swedes?
>>
>>57480371
easy enough apart from the backlog of applications

i get about £150 a week as a flat rate
>>
>>57478902
Did you write this..? It's simply wrong, much of Europe used gavelkind and were fine.
The plots became so small because they were divided up by landlords as a way to raise more rent.
>>
>>57480447
your country is a tax haven

>https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/30/google-tory-battle-protect-30bn-tax-haven-bermuda
>https://www.rt.com/uk/268072-tax-avoidance-city-london/

it also includes 9/10 of the poorest regions in western europe uh oh :o
>>
the Irish were only allowed to eat potatoes, so when the crop failed and the English kept exporting everything else, they starved
>>
File: bantz3.jpg (73 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
bantz3.jpg
73 KB, 500x628
>>57480265
just a bit of banter
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.