[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhist thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 5n7re.jpg (48 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
5n7re.jpg
48 KB, 300x300
ITT discuss anything related to Buddhism.
>>
>>57446443
Do Buddhists actually believe there is no God?

Who do they think created the universe?
>>
>>57446515

While there are some basic Buddhist teachings, the Buddha taught people to go with what they believe is true and not what he says is true because he recognised that he could be wrong because he's only human and humans make mistakes. So while the Buddhist ideology teaches that a deity created everything, I personally believe in a more scientific explanation which is perfectly ok in Buddhism.
>>
>>57446515

Buddhism is basically a lifestyle in which you try to obtain Nirvana which is the blowing out of desire and attachment. Think of a person, place, thing or situation you really want right now. Now imagine not having that craving whatsoever and not giving a shit whether or not you get it. That's Nirvana. Things don't occupy your mind and you aren't controlled by emotions.
>>
dude meditation lmao
>>
>>57446515
they believe gods are subordinate to buddha and seek his teachings

abrahamic religions state god as the pinnacle of everything as if on top of the highest mountain, but buddhism states that the top of the mountain actually has a caldera where buddha is in the middle and the gods surround him
>>
>>57446443
>le meme text about buddhists
>>57446515
yes but they believe in different metaphysical things.
>>57446596
buddhism doesn't teach that a deity created everything, you idiot, you're clearly not a buddhist. you're a white person saying they're buddhist to seem interesting.
>>
>>57446515
Siddhartha did not address the concept of God at all. The OP's pic is wrong.
>>
File: 1450857565455.png (71 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
1450857565455.png
71 KB, 592x492
>thread made by a Canadian
Can't make this shit up
>>
>>57447022
because "gods" in the buddhist (and hindu and jain) sense is not equivalent to god in the abrahamic sense.

these are better described as celestial deities (sort of like angels), rather than gods like Y*hweh
>>
>>57447133
not quite
the difference is that abrahamic is deistic (god is separate from the universe) and hindu is monastic (god is everything)

para brahman or para adishakti are far above the levantine god
>>
>>57446806
meditation 420 feel it faggot
>>
>>57447496
You're still misunderstanding.

Brahman is the equivalent of the Abrahamic God in Abrahamic religion, albeit quite a different character/substance, but Devas or Hindu/Buddhist/Jainist Gods are not equivalent the Abrahamic God.

Buddhists don't say Buddha is above Brahman, they question whether Brahman is really there, their metaphysics is one of emptiness in things, whereas Hindus (certain strands), believe that things are full (as they are God), though Hinduism (certain strands) sort of agrees half way with Buddhism and agrees that everything sensible is ultimately illusionary, they still say its emanting from the supreme being, whereas Buddhists don't say that.
>>
>>57447078
>deity

Brahma dumbass
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 100x85) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 100x85
>>57447792
>Brahman is the equivalent of the Abrahamic God in Abrahamic religion
No it isn't; it's strictly higher.
>Buddhists don't say Buddha is above Brahman
Neither did I.
>>
>>57447888
>strictly higher

According to what?
>>
>>57447496
>the difference is that abrahamic is deistic (god is separate from the universe) and hindu is monastic (god is everything)
Well, Judaism and Islam are between these two concepts actually
>>
>>57447952
The definition of Brahman. Sandnigger slave god YHWH is not monastic and thus lesser than Brahman.
>>
>>57447888
>strictly higher
both are supreme in their respective systems, guys like thomas aquinas would identify yahweh as philosophically occupying the same position the ancients were espousing for god (which is pretty much the same as Brahman, in relevant strands of hinduism).

>>57447858
ah ok, you mean in the impermanent sense, but that is all faffing about really, when you dig down into the reality of nature as described by Buddhism, nothing was created by anyone.

Also FUCKING DELET your OP, it sounds like the retarded sort of thing some suburban kid brought up in a repressive household would equate to buddhism.
>>
>>57446515
The issue of the creation of the universe is one of the so called unanswerable
questions. Granted, some schools like the Hua Yen or Shingon(it's IMO somewhat pantheistic) do come close
in believing in God. Others like the Theraveda are atheistic in this regard. They still revere the Arhats, Buddha and have all sorts of supernatural stuff like
the Mahayana though
>>
>>57446596
>more scientific explanation is perfectly ok in Buddhism
then we're going to need proof of alot of the metaphysical claims and supernatural shit Buddhism describes.
>>
>>57446515
IIRC
in the buddhist writings the Buddha does some references to the hindu gods (some god/goddes came down to witness his enlighment)
I understand this as trying to teach his knowledge without going against the believes of the people, in order no not cause conflict and spread the teachings
>>
How is romantic love conceptualised in Buddist communities? Do partners accept non-attachment and non-permanence to each other, as these sorts of expectations are the root of suffering? If so, do you think they are less happy then western partners (or at least, the few who stay together throughout life) who delude themselves with things like soulmates and eternal love?
>>
>>57448119

There are different schools of Buddhism. I choose to interpret things the way I feel fits me best.
>>
>>57449473

Here you go

www.viewonbuddhism.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimity_rejoicing.html
>>
>>57449523
>I choose to interpret things the way I feel fits me best.
of course you do Cody, whatever helps you feel unique and interesting you egotistical little shit.
>>
How much does buddhism overlap with hinduism?
>>
(-人-)南無釈迦牟尼仏
>>
>>57450704
The main difference is that Buddhists don't believe in a soul ('atman') and Hindus do.
>>
>>57446443
Wrong. I am a Buddhist and I believe in God and the afterlife.
>>
>>57446806
dude nirvala lol total ilumination every day
>>
>>57453816
i am a Buddhist. Buddhist believe in a soul also. On my way to the God core.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.