[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /int/, who /london/ here? I was interviewing for a job in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: London.jpg (532 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
London.jpg
532 KB, 1152x648
Hey /int/,
who /london/ here?

I was interviewing for a job in the US, but they filled all the positions there, but offered me one in London.

So I'm gonna be travelling there next week for the last round of interview, and probably for offer negotiation. The problem is - I don't know shit about prices and salaries in England. I looked at glassdoor (but data in glassdoor tend to be misleading) and numbeo for cost of living, but still would like to help from someone who lives there.

I will be negotiating my salary, and I heard it is usually 60k to 70k GBP. Is that reasonable? Can I live off that comfortably in London? We have offices near Hyde park, so I guess I would be commuting a lot, but that shouldn't be problem with subway. I'm currently not in a relationship, and I am not gonna be spending a lot of time at home, so I should be OK with very small apartment. I would also be eating breakfast and lunch at work for free, and sometimes maybe even dinner, so that saves some money.

It's a big company (Google/Microsoft/Facebook big), so it's a great opportunity, and I'm prepared to take any offer, but one should still negotiate.

Thanks for the tips!
>>
NEVER go to tower hamlets
>>
>>57428551
>go to london
>want to visit tower hamlets cemetery
>trust 4chan memes
>visit kensal green and brompton instead
>>
>>57428551
oh
>>
>>57428515
Kinda depends on where you want to live but you'll probably do fine on £60k.
>>
>>57428779
As I said, offices are near hyde park, and I would be fine with 45 minute commute (subway preferably).
>>
>>57428629
its not that bad to visit but you dont wanna live there
>>
>>57428779
And what would you consider the lowest salary for decent living there?
>>
>>57428829
I'm not an expert on housing in London desu. Be careful of transport though, make sure you get a train pass/season ticket as commuting in London can be VERY expensive.
>>
>>57429081
A friend of mine is living there on ~£40k. That's probably about the minimum if you want to live somewhere nice.
>>
you might be able to get some travel subsidies
my dad works for a large company but not in london and he gets travel subsidies
my uncle works in London and he works for a different large company and he gets some money too

iirc Hyde Park is near Paddington station, so look at places to live in Slough and Reading
>>
>>57429255
>slough
10 rupees have been deposited to your account
>>
>>57429209
Yeah, I don't really care how small the apartment is, but I'd like for it to be in a safe neighborhood. I've lived in a ghetto at one point, and don't want to repeat that.

OK then, I'll probably aim for 45k, if they offer me something low. Thanks!

>>57429255
Yeah, I think you get the subway pass in this company, plus some Uber miles per month.
>>
>>57428515
get ready for black snot a lot
>>
>>57428515
60k is more than most people in the UK make, obviously you can live on that, even in London.
>>
>>57429378
Remember with salary negotiation to start with a high suggestion (maybe a little unreasonably high) and work backwards from there. I'd personally suggest £75-80k as a starting point
>>
>>57429531
I'm used to salaries from SF/NYC, where with $100k you're basically poor, but you can live with that like a rich person in Austin, for example. So I though it will be the same in London.

>>57429533
OK, I actually never negotiated for salary, I come from different culture. I though maybe they'll give you the lower option, and you should work it up. I really want this job, so I don't want to fuck it up with something trivial like the salary negotiation.
>>
National museums and galleries are for free, sleep there and say you are a part of artistic instalment
>>
>>57429738
More like autistic installment, f᠎a᠎m.
>>
>>57429704
Yeah I never said that you'd be able to live well on that (if you choose to rent in central London). On the outskirts and you'd be pretty good.
>>
File: london 2.jpg (118 KB, 700x890) Image search: [Google]
london 2.jpg
118 KB, 700x890
>>57428515

Londoner here Basic Rule :

East London= Ghetto and poorest area (Most people who lives here are Muslims,Indians and Eastern Europeans) also a lot of hipsters.

West London = Rich London Especially Chelsea this is where the British gentleman stereotypes comes from also known as Posh people.

Central London= What tourist think London is this is where most of the tourist area is located(trafalgar Square etc..) and its like West London but not as rich but much more touristy.

North and South London = Its like East London but instead of Pakis and Polish its BLACKED. Basically this is the Black part of London since there are many africans and Carribeans.
>>
>>57429779
so progressive
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.